Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I'm new I drive a 2002 r1 with 17k miles she's my baby and been a great bike. The last few weeks it's been sitting waiting on new clutch cable which arrived yesterday. I let it run approximately 10 min to let charge etc (hadn't been ran in 2 or 3 weeks) Monday night. As I went to install my clutch cable I noticed the oil was milky ot definitely was not like that the day before. Anyways the oil was right above the full mark on the oil window. I come to look at it a couple hours later and the oil level has risen higher it is completely covered the oil window now cannot see any thing but milky oil. Why is it continuing to drain coolant into the pan when the bike has not been ran in a few days. Obviously my biggest concern is head gasket but the bike runs amazing I have not ever had one problem with it running rough and I have not ever overheated it. Thanks for your help guys any more questions just ask I really wanna fix my baby. Hoping not to have to drop 2500 on a new motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anybody had this happen to them? Bike doesn't run warm and it runs flawless didn't run longer then 10 min when I noticed the oil was mixed with coolant. The coolant in the radiator isn't contaminated either probably cause the thermostat never opened? ( I THINK Didn't let run that long only got to 174F after 10 min of idling)

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
Could be the water/oil pump. Any thing coming out of the weep hole on the oil pan?

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the water/oil pump. Any thing coming out of the weep hole on the oil pan?
I've had a few drops here and there but no not really I can fill the reservoir tank and it'll empty in a day or so right into the pan. Not ever overheated since I've owned it, never any issues with it running just this situation. I've read on here recently that people have had o rings go bad not the mechanical one or such I believe but others that can cause similar situations that I'm dealing with... thanks for your help man

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,040 Posts
Could be a crack somewhere between coolant side and engine case.

More common is a failed o-ring, sealing the coolant feed pipe which enter from the front of the engine and connect to the coolant pump..

Or, not as common, the o-ring inside the coolant pump..

Either way i suggest you drop the oilpan to clean the contaminated oil out.
With the oilpan off, put some air pressure to the cooling system (no more than 30psi) and see if you can locate the leak.

You can put in air pressure via the coolant reservoir hose but be careful not to over pressurise the coolant system or you have your self some new problems 😄

White Product Organ Organism Font

Font Auto part Parallel Drawing Diagram

Product Gesture Font Parallel Auto part

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
I've had a few drops here and there but no not really I can fill the reservoir tank and it'll empty in a day or so right into the pan. Not ever overheated since I've owned it, never any issues with it running just this situation. I've read on here recently that people have had o rings go bad not the mechanical one or such I believe but others that can cause similar situations that I'm dealing with... thanks for your help man
I was going to mention the o-rings for the water/oil pump next. So time to pull the pan and start investigating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys my only question is with the radiator coming off to do everything how exactly would I hook a pressure tester up to it? I like the idea of taking the pan off and pressurize the system. That is always the easiest way to find a leak in a car's cooling system. I am pretty mechanically inclined former automotive mechanic but jap bikes are a new world to me only done a hand few of things with these, clutch, clutch cable, tune ups etc never had to pull the pan before. I normally pay somebody to deal with my bike but a lot of shops don't want to deal with it because it is in the oil pan Which mind boggles me. I'm fairly certain it's not the head gasket but you know it can always be a possibility with these things the bike runs top notch.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
You don't really have to remove the radiator, you just have to loosen the top and remove the bottom bolt/mount so you can swing it forward a bit. Then you can get your headers off and out of the way to get the pan off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last question do I have to take the clutch off? I saw a video where a guy did it on his 04 I know all are similar but little differences. Couldn't find a video on a 02 but it seems pretty straightforward. I've pulled plenty of engines so I'm sure I can handle this. My radiator has drained even lower, I'm going to get on it tonight pick up a pressure tester tomorrow and let you guys know what's going on. Thanks for all the help. Hoping for the best 👌 water pump, o rings what not

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
Last question do I have to take the clutch off? I saw a video where a guy did it on his 04 I know all are similar but little differences. Couldn't find a video on a 02 but it seems pretty straightforward. I've pulled plenty of engines so I'm sure I can handle this. My radiator has drained even lower, I'm going to get on it tonight pick up a pressure tester tomorrow and let you guys know what's going on. Thanks for all the help. Hoping for the best 👌 water pump, o rings what not
No you shouldn't have to mess with the clutch just to get the pan off

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i think the water pump just slides out, leave the oil pump in it should be the seal on the water. i would take the pain off and the pressurize it like you said that seems to be the best way. if its never overheated my vote is on the water pump.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
I meant to get the water pump/oil pump off, sorry for the miscommunication
From what i remember, its been a long time. You don't have to, I did my 2000 R1 when my water pump went bad and didn't have to. But that was many years ago. Should just be remove the pan, and then undo the hose/line connections, and then un bolt it and should just come out. Just be mindful of the chain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All right guys I started tearing into it last night I got the exhaust off and everything but the oil pan. so I will do that today and I plan on pressure testing before I pull the water pump oil pump off so I can hopefully see where it's leaking from. does this sound right to you guys I noticed though I don't have those X up bolts or whatever for the exhaust. all I have is headers and a can on my exhaust isn't there supposed to be more I know on my old cbr954rr there were actuator valves in the exhaust. Anyways I'll check back in soon! TIA yall have been a lifesaver and save me allot of money so far!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Most guys delete the exup so that could be why. I would definitely leave everything in the cooling system intact until you find the leak. Pull the pan off and let it drip all the oil out into a pan so u can clearly see when the coolant starts leaking

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,855 Posts
All right guys I started tearing into it last night I got the exhaust off and everything but the oil pan. so I will do that today and I plan on pressure testing before I pull the water pump oil pump off so I can hopefully see where it's leaking from. does this sound right to you guys I noticed though I don't have those X up bolts or whatever for the exhaust. all I have is headers and a can on my exhaust isn't there supposed to be more I know on my old cbr954rr there were actuator valves in the exhaust. Anyways I'll check back in soon! TIA yall have been a lifesaver and save me allot of money so far!
Your Exup system was probably removed and replaced with a full system. Very common and most people do it, so nothing to really worry about. My 05 has a full race system on it with the Exup fully removed.

Reactions: Ajb239.2002r1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

How far I've gotten only oil pan left then u can pressure test. Already picked up the pressure tester it fits and just waiting to put my 2 year old down for his nap! Lmao single dad was up till 1 last night in the garage getting this far.. thanks for all the help guys

Attachments

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,040 Posts
Sounds like you'r on the right track.
Yes, pressure test before taking anything else but the oilpan off, that will hopefully save you some work 👍

If the EXUP is still there you would sure have seen it 😄

If you not allready have, download the service manual, link:

Font Line Elbow Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so I pressure tested the system to 14 PSI via $400 kit LOL and I can clearly see a little stream coming out of the top of the water pump/oil pump. I can't see it though because it's on the top but I can put my finger on it and stop the stream completely. as soon as I take my finger off it starts leaking again, has anybody seen this before or did I just have a very unlikely scenario happen LMFAO. Either way I am completely relieved! Hopefully

1 - 20 of 46 Posts