Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I ordered a decent used one and bought the new seals to rebuild it. so,馃し hopefully that will work I can then put the rebuilt pump on and pressure test again make sure there's no leak. I guess I'll have a back up. Like u said the one on the bike now is probably shot. atleast the shaft is for sure so it'll need more then a good used one for sure.

Like The Rising Phoenix
I ordered a decent used one and bought the new seals to rebuild it. so,馃し hopefully that will work I can then put the rebuilt pump on and pressure test again make sure there's no leak. I guess I'll have a back up. Like u said the one on the bike now is probably shot. atleast the shaft is for sure so it'll need more then a good used one for sure.
hopefully the used one is in pretty good condition then. You'll need the housing gasket/o-ring as well since you have to take that apart.

Reactions: Ajb239.2002r1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Where does the oil seal go I'm sorry if it's dumb question lmao, but I can't seem to figure out took apart my old one. the impeller shaft seal has a good Crack in it and mechanical seal was all rusted etc.

Like The Rising Phoenix
Where does the oil seal go I'm sorry if it's dumb question lmao, but I can't seem to figure out took apart my old one. the impeller shaft seal has a good Crack in it and mechanical seal was all rusted etc.

Look at the diagram, it goes next to one of the bearings on the inside.

And download the service manual from there. If you haven't already. It should explain all the steps to put the pump together.

Reactions: 1202067

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Do I have to use the quick gasket stuff? Jw if anybody else did or didn't. What did you use to install the seals just a socket? Bearings are solid so I'm not going to replace those no rough movement. My conclusion was my weep hole was clogged and gunked with rust from previous owner using water at some point. Therefore it
leaked out the internal weep hole into the pan 馃槨. I'm still waiting on 1 part but I can rebuild my old one in the meantime

Like The Rising Phoenix
Do I have to use the quick gasket stuff? Jw if anybody else did or didn't. What did you use to install the seals just a socket? Bearings are solid so I'm not going to replace those no rough movement. My conclusion was my weep hole was clogged and gunked with rust from previous owner using water at some point. Therefore it
leaked out the internal weep hole into the pan 馃槨. I'm still waiting on 1 part but I can rebuild my old one in the meantime
Should be no reason to use any type of gasket maker or RTV

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hey guys I rebuilt my old water pump still waiting on the used one to come but I have a rebuild kit coming for that one too assuming it only needs the seals. I am going to put it all back together tonight and pressure test it but my only question is I have looked in the manual but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the torque specifications for the little oil and coolant lines and fittings inside of the oil pump and water pump. Do i just tighten them down. They were pretty tight Def looked like someone's been in the oil pan before. Prob not good thing lmao

Like The Rising Phoenix
it should all be in the shop manual, not at home to look right now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Found it the manual is very difficult to navigate especially very tired I got my oil pump in fighting the chain for a hour or so finishing tomorrow night I guess

Like The Rising Phoenix
Found it the manual is very difficult to navigate especially very tired I got my oil pump in fighting the chain for a hour or so finishing tomorrow night I guess
Yeah it can be a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of reading it, its pretty easy and straightforward. That little chain can be a bit of a pain the first time. At least you got it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So far so good it's filled up with coolant and there's no leak passed the pressure test also! I still have it hooked up at 14 PSI going to leave it for couple hours to be sure. I assume if it seals now. it should while it's warm and all the parts are expanded also hopefully! Lol guess I'll find qout soon probably later tonight or tomorrow

Like The Rising Phoenix
So far so good it's filled up with coolant and there's no leak passed the pressure test also! I still have it hooked up at 14 PSI going to leave it for couple hours to be sure. I assume if it seals now. it should while it's warm and all the parts are expanded also hopefully! Lol guess I'll find qout soon probably later tonight or tomorrow
always a good idea to let it sit a bit, just incase there is a small leak.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
It's been on there for like 4 hours no problem. other then it leaking out the cap when I bump the pressure tester itself being clumsy SMH. Going to start flushing the rest of the milk oil out I guess. Not much, been dripping out the engine for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I'll let you guys know if it's 馃挴 fixed or not when I do that. Thanks for all the help guys.

Like The Rising Phoenix
It's been on there for like 4 hours no problem. other then it leaking out the cap when I bump the pressure tester itself being clumsy SMH. Going to start flushing the rest of the milk oil out I guess. Not much, been dripping out the engine for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I'll let you guys know if it's 馃挴 fixed or not when I do that. Thanks for all the help guys.
Besides no leaks, its holding pressure? If so then i would call it good.

Like The Rising Phoenix
Yep holding pressure no problem
Should be good then.

Little tip, when your putting the pan back together, the weep hole tube will have 2 o-rings on it. One for the pump side, one for the pan side. Replace both of them and be careful with them, if the tear or don't seat right you will get a small oil leak.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
She's all back together and running great. just trying to make sure it's not leaking anymore haha, it's allot harder to tell with the pan on and oil in the bike. I'm still in process of doing the engine flush of the remaining coolant in engine.

Like The Rising Phoenix
glad to hear. hopefully all is good now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes sir thanks for all the help bud couldn't of done it without you and several others. Well it would've been significantly harder it is back to 馃挴 percent again. Let it idle for like 30 min and it never got over 194 and mind I live in Florida. In the100 plus degree heat index daily (minor exaggeration) and the oil is still golden clear.

Like The Rising Phoenix
Yes sir thanks for all the help bud couldn't of done it without you and several others. Well it would've been significantly harder it is back to 馃挴 percent again. Let it idle for like 30 min and it never got over 194 and mind I live in Florida. In the100 plus degree heat index daily (minor exaggeration) and the oil is still golden clear.
Glad to help, and glad it all worked out for you

41 - 60 of 60 Posts