Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a track day and I noticed dried coolant on my belly pan. Upon further inspection I noticed the whole front of the engine was covered in dried coolant. I noticed it was leaking out from the black plastic tube that sits behind the headers that runs from the engine block to the water pump cover. I checked the tubing and saw no cracks. The rubber O-Ring also looked perfect. I was wondering if I should just silicone it and call it a day or replace everything .
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Hole by the gasket I’m holding is where it was leaking from.
Vision care Wood Eyewear Finger Communication Device

Hand Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Line Material property Rim
Ex
Hand tool Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May not have been seated correctly, looks can be deceiving, buy a new oring, put a tiny bit of grease on before you install it. I'd caution against messing around with silicone, keep in mind there is a fair bit of pressure involved. Try the correct parts before getting creative

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply. The bike has 18k miles and this is its first issue. All of the bolts felt tight but I’ll definitely change out that o ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your trying to replace that the easy way. You will need
Set of Allen wrenches to remove side fairings and radiator and oil cooler guard.
8mm socket with a 10 inch extension
Remove bolts holder oil cooler in place. Gently lower the cooler down and towards the front tire. Using the 8mm and extension remove the 3 bolts for the housing and the 1 lower 8mm bolt that holds that hose in place.

Then using dental picks carefully remove old o ring
Reinstall new o ring and reassemble.

Took me about 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your trying to replace that the easy way. You will need
Set of Allen wrenches to remove side fairings and radiator and oil cooler guard.
8mm socket with a 10 inch extension
Remove bolts holder oil cooler in place. Gently lower the cooler down and towards the front tire. Using the 8mm and extension remove the 3 bolts for the housing and the 1 lower 8mm bolt that holds that hose in place.

Then using dental picks carefully remove old o ring
Reinstall new o ring and reassemble.

Took me about 30 minutes or so.
Yea I already have everything off. I’m just going to replace all the other o-rings including the one on the water pump cover and the 2 one the on the tubes that connect to it. Cheap insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts