Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I have a 2005 R1. I wrecked it back in September and damn covid messed up my finances in order to just have an actual mechanic fix the damn thing. So im fixing it myself and almost have it road ready again, except for a few questions/concern.
When I wreck i spilt coolant everywhere. Got it home, fired up and ran/sounded sound and normal. Now I did run it for while to see if the cooling fans would kick on to make sure they would function alright. While I had it running the rpms started to climb slowly over the course of about 5 minutes. Normally the bike idled normal for awhile but then it started climbing into the 7k area.
I turned it off concerned that it might have been because of lack of anyway to cool.
Well I took the radiator off and checked it over for any holes or leaks, and im gonna fire the bike back up tomorrow. I havent picked up distilled water or special coolant yet. I wanted to see if the fans would kick on with out any coolant/water in the radiator or not.
Figured id ask about the idling rpm weirdness as a add on.
Sorry for the long post and any help/advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you’re running the engine without coolant in the system?
Yeah, I removed the entire radiator and drained it. I had to do some minor fixes to it since it got a little banged up in the wreck. Plus the cap popped off in the wreck and spilled about 95% of the coolant that was in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I removed the entire radiator and drained it. I had to do some minor fixes to it since it got a little banged up in the wreck. Plus the cap popped off in the wreck and spilled about 95% of the coolant that was in it.
I didnt run it long without coolant, before I turned it off. Don't want to ruin my engine, but I didnt know any other way to test if the fans were still functioning properly. Havent started it yet since I put the radiator back on, want to get distilled water or coolant before I do that.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
It’s been a minute since I dug into the cooling system, I didn’t get many solid answers to my questions when I last looked into it. I know there’s a handful of coolant hoses that are routed in and around the back side of the throttle bodies, I’m not sure if any of them connect to anything throttle related. The crash sounds like it was pretty serious, glad you’re okay. Did you take your throttle apart and check it? Also, is the clip on straight? Check routing of the cables. Do you have the service manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s been a minute since I dug into the cooling system, I didn’t get many solid answers to my questions when I last looked into it. I know there’s a handful of coolant hoses that are routed in and around the back side of the throttle bodies, I’m not sure if any of them connect to anything throttle related. The crash sounds like it was pretty serious, glad you’re okay. Did you take your throttle apart and check it? Also, is the clip on straight? Check routing of the cables. Do you have the service manual?

The bike didn't come with a service Manuel. Tbh I have no idea where the throttle is located, so ill have to do some googling to check it. Which clip do you mean??

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Clip on = handle bar. The throttle is on the right clip on. The throttle cables go down and through a plastic retainer on the right fork then back over the radiator, under the intake, to the throttle bodies. They shouldn’t be pinched or wedged anywhere, you should be able to move them freely within their routing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts