Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Was the officer justified for ramming the biker?

• Cop justified in ramming the biker

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • Cop wrong for ramming the biker

Votes: 195 87.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So how many people think this ramming of a fleeing rider was justified?
I am very curious what the general public thinks of police officers doing this.
I also am curious to see what some of the police officers on this forum have to say. So, I will try to get a poll going.
Usually I would be way on the cop side, but this vid shows something I did not like (maybe because I ride too, but I think there is more to that).

The vid shows a cop cam, and him deliberately ramming a fleeing rider. They say there was a passenger with the rider, but I did not see one.

So let me know what you think...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=277_1196523176

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
he wouldn't have done it if it was another car :lol
doesn't look good as obviously the rider got taken out.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:corn

It can be argued both ways, yes if you compare it to a car chase then yes he can lawfully "ram" him. I think this might differ from state to state but maybe some legal tycoon or forum cop can enlighten us.

I don't agree, you can kill the riders. To fishtail a car (last resort) will have it spin and stop, they normally do it in open areas. Cars are designed to crash with crumple zones. The only crumple zones we have is in our lids (if it's a good one) and offcourse the bones in our bodies.

If you fishtail a bike :scared

If a cop rams me I'll have his ass for attempted murder and or assualt with the intent to cause grevious bodily harm and he'll buy a new bike and pay my medical bills (if I'm alive) :bash

:fork Ride Safe :rock

·
Wicked Clowns NEVER Die
150 Posts
:scared WOW.....mmmmm to SOLIDUS we must ask to find inlightenment :)sneaky in yota`s voice) anyway sure looks wanting on the cruiser video don`t it?? but , first why is the guy on the bike running??? we need to know this before we start sticking shoes in our mouths( as i`ve done lately my crash left me not being able to explain what i want to say..it`s fooked up, but getting better....wear a f**king helmet people...dam) which this guy may find out how it feels!. Right so back to this ...why`s the guy running? maybe he`s got a bag of crank or murdered some old lady for her oxy??? we don`t know yet i bet he just has a suspended license and if thats the case then here we go again with BAD JUDGEMENT OF a PI :2bitchsla see (bad judgement) POLICE OFFICER and if it was for just a traffic stop then the guy on the bike got what he got this not a tased situation the guy-kid was running PULL OVER and suck it up. From what i saw the guy was hawling ass and just because its a bike, at high speeds a bike is just as bad as a car iv`e seen it a bike can split a car like a telephone pole and kill everyone...i`d like to see the cruiser the cop might have thought the bike was going to hit him head on...look at video i know the cop knows how much damage a bike can do to a car he might of been saving his-her ass. He may have saved my wife and kids lives.....i`d be one pissed off m-f if the guy hit and killed my life over a freaking ticket and an impound. There has to some thing to have the cop hit this guy the cop knows his-her cam is on and the cop also knows that this bike hitting the cruiser could put him-her in the hospital or kill him also knows that hitting the guy and the bike could kill the guy on the bike, so unless the cop was just being a 10%er (Bad cop) then the guy on the bike must have done somthing pretty bad and NEEDED to be stopped so untill we know why it`s had the give opinions......fairly :jump OPERATION HOUND DOG HAS TO BE COMPLETED. :corn sup Dieyoung ....lets find out? *:vanish *

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:scared WOW.....mmmmm to SOLIDUS we must ask to find inlightenment :)sneaky in yota`s voice) anyway sure looks wanting on the cruiser video don`t it?? but , first why is the guy on the bike running??? we need to know this before we start sticking shoes in our mouths( as i`ve done lately my crash left me not being able to explain what i want to say..it`s fooked up, but getting better....wear a f**king helmet people...dam) which this guy may find out how it feels!. Right so back to this ...why`s the guy running? maybe he`s got a bag of crank or murdered some old lady for her oxy??? we don`t know yet i bet he just has a suspended license and if thats the case then here we go again with BAD JUDGEMENT OF a PI :2bitchsla see (bad judgement) POLICE OFFICER and if it was for just a traffic stop then the guy on the bike got what he got this not a tased situation the guy-kid was running PULL OVER and suck it up. From what i saw the guy was hawling ass and just because its a bike, at high speeds a bike is just as bad as a car iv`e seen it a bike can split a car like a telephone pole and kill everyone...i`d like to see the cruiser the cop might have thought the bike was going to hit him head on...look at video i know the cop knows how much damage a bike can do to a car he might of been saving his-her ass. He may have saved my wife and kids lives.....i`d be one pissed off m-f if the guy hit and killed my life over a freaking ticket and an impound. There has to some thing to have the cop hit this guy the cop knows his-her cam is on and the cop also knows that this bike hitting the cruiser could put him-her in the hospital or kill him also knows that hitting the guy and the bike could kill the guy on the bike, so unless the cop was just being a 10%er (Bad cop) then the guy on the bike must have done somthing pretty bad and NEEDED to be stopped so untill we know why it`s had the give opinions......fairly :jump OPERATION HOUND DOG HAS TO BE COMPLETED. :corn sup Dieyoung ....lets find out? *:vanish *
:iamwithst

:thumbup I agree, we don't know the whole story, maybe it's some psycho-killer. But let's see how far the thread goes.

:rock Wear your lid :fork

:boobies

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
I cant see it from work

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
From what I can see , it would appear that the bike hit the squad car and not the other way around. Notice as the squad car makes the right turn it's positioned across the through lanes. The motorcycle is oncoming and moves from the left turn lane into the oncoming lane countersteering around. His misjudgement or inablity to turn the bike caused him to clip the front quarter of the squad car.

At that point the choice to continue was in the hands of the rider. He could have avoided the crash by simply stopping. He chose not to and hit the patrol car.

Much like if I held a bat horizontally over the floor and you decide to run into the big end of it at a sprint. When the questions "Did I hit you ?" or " Did you run into a bat?" are posed ,only the silly will remain dumbfounded.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
well the vid shows the cop turning right but not in his lane!! the cop clearly goes in the on coming traffic lane then turning in ward! the camera cant turn with his head so clearly the cop knew where he was and thats y he did what he did to "catch" him!!!! i dont know if u noticed but there is some audio feed and imo if it was an accident maybe a ohhh crap burst or something not nothing!!! to me seems intentional for those reasons!!!! i think if a rider is going to endager his life so be it but the life of others i can see it okay to ram! mostly thats just a situation u have to use best judgement cause who says he might have killed someone in his process to escape even if he is wreckless but u killed him because u ramed him just in case he might take someone out!! imo i say back way off most times seems like the pressure usually gets to the rider and they make a bad mistake and crash or wrong route i say stay back let them ride it out!! i mean if im doing 130 and a squad car is right on my arse yea u bet im gonna go faster!!!!!!!!

·
Trail Rated
811 Posts
I think its GREAT!!!

I had my R6 stolen by some punk FOcker. About a week later they
found him riding it. So he ran like the coward focking theif that he was
and he was doin around 120mph down the freeway and somtimes going
against traffic at 120 mph. So the cop clipped him from behind on
purpose he crashed and they caught his ass!!!!!:nforc: :nforc:

I could care less if cops ram bikes that are running from them.
Im glad the thief that stole my bike got what was comming to him.
If you are dumb enough to run you get whatever happens to you..:bash

IMO

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
well the vid shows the cop turning right but not in his lane!! the cop clearly goes in the on coming traffic lane then turning in ward! the camera cant turn with his head so clearly the cop knew where he was and thats y he did what he did to "catch" him!!!! i dont know if u noticed but there is some audio feed and imo if it was an accident maybe a ohhh crap burst or something not nothing!!! to me seems intentional for those reasons!!!! i think if a rider is going to endager his life so be it but the life of others i can see it okay to ram! mostly thats just a situation u have to use best judgement cause who says he might have killed someone in his process to escape even if he is wreckless but u killed him because u ramed him just in case he might take someone out!! imo i say back way off most times seems like the pressure usually gets to the rider and they make a bad mistake and crash or wrong route i say stay back let them ride it out!! i mean if im doing 130 and a squad car is right on my arse yea u bet im gonna go faster!!!!!!!!

Yes you are correct, the cruiser did intentionally stop in the oncoming lanes . Why? because just in case the flashing lights and the marked police car did'nt sink in deep enough a crown vic parked across two lanes should hammer home the point that his intent is to make you stop.

At any rate it's a million mile stretch to call this action a ramming.

As I've said , if you keep going during a pursuit you acknowledge any consequences of the action. The "ONLY" reason for the current trend of restrictions and policy limitations is litigation. If the criminals involved had 1/10th the money of the municipalities, this would'nt be an issue because the offenders would be sued. Laywers simply look for the deepest pockets involved.

If it was some guy who stole your bike or if the guy had broken into your house , you'd want the cops to run his ass slap over.

And before you start the "What if it's just a........" Remember..................Ted Bundy was captured on a routine traffic stop.

·
My Twins took all my money
2,456 Posts
The cop rammed the bike? :dunno If I were the judge I see a stopped patrol car before the bike decided to ram the car to try and make it look like he was rammed. The biker is an idiot.

·
I didnt know that was illegal
974 Posts
Heres my attitude.. I dont think Cops should be chasing bikers or cars.. If they dont stop within the first Minute,, they arent goin too,, and to chase them is just endangering yourself and all the other drivers.. No chase= no danger. You watch these cop shows and the cops are chasin drivers all through traffic, endagering everyone! If the cops dont give chase so much,, theres ALOT LESS chance of ANYONE gettin hurt. Yeah, people shouldnt run. But in my opinion, a cop givin chase is being JUST as careless and wreckless as the person he is chasing. just get the tag, and back off. Its all about EGO to these cops though.. they feel like they HAVE to catch em. therefore, they are caring only about themselves and how they look and how they can tell the story later about how noone can get away from them!

·
Registered
44 Posts
^+1
More places are trying to develop policies along those lines. They're coming up with technology that can help, including gps tracking devices that can be attached to the fleeing suspects vehicle (ala 007, batman, etc.)

In the case at hand it looks like the cop was trying to cut the guy off, not ram him. He was probably trying to move into the other lane when he noticed he was going that route, of course as fast as the bike was moving he got there a little late.

On cops ramming bikes in general I think it's an unnecessary risk and would VERY seldom be justified. Most people who are rammed in cars can be hauled straight off to jail. You hit some guy going that fast on a bike and he's going to the ER or the morgue. Lethal force should only be used if the officer or another citizen's life is in danger, and there is no other way. Otherwise you're just executing the guy without trail.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
It is a ramming, as the officer was not stopped. He stopped after he hit the biker. You can also see him pause facing left, then turn right and ram the biker almost head on. If he wanted to block traffic, he could have just swung in and blocked the road facing the direction he came to the road on. Not swing into oncoming traffic. Of course, we're only limited to the direction the camera is facing, not the whole scenario.

Beyond that, we don't know the reason for the chase nor the reason for the biker to flee. Is it justified? Again, don't know. Murder/violent crime? Definitely a yes.

·
DOWN TO RIDE
3,763 Posts
Police often practice putting cars into a skid by tapping on the back end. TECHNICALLY (key word) is a bike any different if it is attempting to flee from police? I am not saying I agree, but would it hold up in court? Good arguement.
I DONT THINK IT WOULD HOLD UP IN COURT BUT OUR LEGAL SYSTEM IS ALL FUKED UP. BIG DIF. BETWEEN A CAR & A BIKE

1 - 20 of 230 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.