Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
computer guru's.... is there any software or methods to copy store bought or rented movies?? thanks

:hellobye

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
this is pretty close to being in violation of section 2 of this forum's rules (see sticky at top of forum, or see quote)

2. No serial numbers, cracks, or asking for software you know you are supposed to be paying for. That's what Google searches are for. Don't ask here, don't post them here. People who steal software go to hell; don't you know that by now?
however, it is my understanding that creating a "backup" of media files you legally own (i.e. CD's, dvd's, etc) is within the "fair use" realm of copyright law.

there are several ways to create copies of dvd's you OWN.. i have used DVDx before, and it works fine. In 100% total honesty, i actually DO backup DVD's i own, because i prefer to watch them in DIVX on my machine rather than walk down to the living room a lot of the time.. plus fast forwarding in windows media player is a lot easier hahaha.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
This is kind of a grey area I suppose...I mean you did mention 'bought' dvd's...hopefully meaning dvd's you bought and want a backup copy for yourself, beacuse NO ONE here at the R1-Forum would even THINK of stealing sowftware, music, or movies...cuz that would be illegal...and stuff.

Adam doesn't steal stuff, and I know good 'ol Earl would NEVER think of such things...would he?

(Hey, I just referred to myself in the 3rd person...I must be l33t)

:crash

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
EarlThePearl said:
This is kind of a grey area I suppose...I mean you did mention 'bought' dvd's...hopefully meaning dvd's you bought and want a backup copy for yourself, beacuse NO ONE here at the R1-Forum would even THINK of stealing sowftware, music, or movies...cuz that would be illegal...and stuff.

Adam doesn't steal stuff, and I know good 'ol Earl would NEVER think of such things...would he?

(Hey, I just referred to myself in the 3rd person...I must be l33t)

:crash
uberg33k

and i use dvd decrypter for my "backups". It can make iso's and divx

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
[email protected]@alltimes said:
What about backing up dual layered DVD's, 9.4GB. I currently use DVD-X-COPY but I have 2 use 2X4.7GB DVD's.

Do they sell 9.4GB DVD-R's?

TIA
This is a question for nef.. i know there are 9.4GB burners on the market, or being released in the near future (and the media for them), and supposedly 30GB burners in the near future as well..

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
dual layered disc = DLT

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
dlt is a tape drive, its what you would master a dual layer dvd to before sending it out to the reps. as far as getting the whole thing on to a dvd, sony has the blue lazer coming out this year or early 2004, dvds up to 27.9 gigs or some sh!t

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
8,381 Posts
TY grifter, I dunno what I was thinking, I guess I had a brain freeze since I am on flu medication. I use 4 DLT tape drives at work....thought it sounded familiar. Anywho, I found out that DVD-10's are dual layered BUT u have 2 flip them over 2 play the other side. I guess thats a step in the right direction. Here's the info I found...

DVD-10 is a double sided single layer DVD which can fit up to 8.7 computer GB. Video DVD, DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W supports this format.

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
yeah, but ideally you want dvd 9 , single sided double layer. Thats what the slight pause is when you are watching a movie, the laser is just refocusing.

2 disc or 1 disc ya gotta flip over.. get a disc changer and stay seated. plus its easier to get single layer dvds

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
It's my understanding that dvd-9 or dual layered that you do not need to flip, are actually glued together just like the old Laserdiscs. In other words they encode two layers and then glue them together and the laser uses a phase shift to "see" through the top layer to the second layer.
Then again. my Sony DVD changer has that awesome flip feature, so it just readds both sides if necessary.:crash

1 - 15 of 15 Posts