Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of this that’s going on really sucks, in a million different ways so please don’t take this post as trying to minimize any of it... that being said.....
I’m a brewery machinist and considered essential throughout all of this. I work night shift and start at 2300 each night till 0700. Usually riding in during the week is great but weekends are crowded cuz drunk people. But now with everywhere having a stay home order, it is now a rider’s paradise. Anyone else able to enjoy this aspect of what’s going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
I haven’t had a chance to enjoy the bike because I’m a supervisor in the water department; so I’m on double time once Trump made the state of emergency. We are one of the biggest departments in central Florida serving roughly 460,000 residents, with my department taking a lot of those people on. All I want to do is ride, but this virus scares me for the orgs and tracks that run our bikes.

this is a luxury sport and I don’t want tracks or orgs to close down; especially since H1N1 was way more infectious and we didn’t stop time...

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,510 Posts
I'm a bit jealous of those with bikes in good working order, I must say. I've been doing some telework, but will return for a staggered at-work schedule tomorrow (medical logistics).

·
11,780 Posts
I can't for the life of me fathom why we are freaking out over this virus. The flu was worse this year. The only thing I can point to is the democrats and the media have tired everything to trip up Trump and this is their last shot. They would rather ruin the country than see him get re-elected. EVERY news outlet almost bashes everything he does or says then when they get a package together to help the country the democrats put global warming BS stuff in there and other nonsense. Those traitors need to be taken out and hanged.

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
Even at a global level this virus doesn’t come close to regular influenza.

and before anyone says something stupid like “there’s a vaccine for the flu” that is utter bullshiz because the flu Vac is proven to be absolute sh1t. This virus is overblown... an absolute display of corruption all over the world, not just the US.

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,506 Posts
My work actually handed us copies of letters from AG Barr as a "get out of jail free" card. If we get pulled over while going to or from work, these letters will supposedly allow us to continue on our merry way. But I know how things go, and some cops won't get the memo.

·
what
04 R1
667 Posts
I have a letter like that too from my employer. We are currently working in hospitals cell phone towers & power company jobs which is considered "essential". Crane operator.

·
me r1 to eats P***y
3,522 Posts
I can't for the life of me fathom why we are freaking out over this virus. The flu was worse this year. The only thing I can point to is the democrats and the media have tired everything to trip up Trump and this is their last shot. They would rather ruin the country than see him get re-elected. EVERY news outlet almost bashes everything he does or says then when they get a package together to help the country the democrats put global warming BS stuff in there and other nonsense. Those traitors need to be taken out and hanged.

and before anyone says something stupid like “there’s a vaccine for the flu” that is utter bullshiz because the flu Vac is proven to be absolute sh1t. This virus is overblown... an absolute display of corruption all over the world, not just the US.
let me try to make you understand what the fear and real possibility is, that is already starting to play out in NY, and has been playing out in some areas of Europe.

The real danger and fear is the lack of capacity in the hospital systems to take care of the patients that are going to come in if we don't slow this down. Presently the number of cases in the USA is almost doubling every other day. This is not a big deal when the number was 500 but now we are over 55,000. Another even week of this and the numbers start to get really big really quick.

Yes only a relatively small number of people if able to be treated properly will die from COVID and yes some people barely have symptoms. But the numbers are playing out that somewhere between 30-40% of people will need some type of hospital care with it. Lets say that number is bullshit and its only 10%. Within a week if the trend of new cases continue we will be somewhere around 440,000 cases. 10% is 44,000 people in the hospitals MORE THEN NORMAL.

The hospital system does not have the beds, staff, personal protective equipment or life support equipment to care for that many people. so what happens?

Nurses and physicians start to get sick and some die, lowering the available staff even more especially when they can not get the gowns, masks or goggles they need.

You will see things that aren't normally hospital turned into hospitals, but we cant staff the regular hospital so how do we staff that?

Life support equipment has to be prioritized who gets it. So the person that would not have died of COVID in normal times now dies because there is no one to care for them. People are just left to die as we have nothing to offer them

What if you get in a bike accident and need surgery? What about anyone that needs dialysis or chemotherapy? Lots of people are going to die that otherwise would not in normal times.

This is not some bullshit made up scenario, I was a respiratory therapist for a long time and a nurse in an ICU for a few years. I am still friends and talk regularly with many people that work in the hospitals in various positions. This is already playing out in Italy and starting in Spain. In Spain they converted an ice hockey stadium into a morgue!!

This is serious not overblow and not bullshit we need to all take this serious and do our part to slow the spread. Italy has been on strict lockdown for 2 weeks. There number of new cases has slowed the last 2 days. Lets hope this trend continues.

Here is a good tracker if you want to watch how the numbers are doing around the world

stay safe everyone

·
Premium Member
11,535 Posts

As much as I’d like to say that it’s bullshit, it’s mandatory that active duty service members he the flu shot every single year and you never really hear about any of us getting infected.

And personally, I haven’t had the flu since I’ve joined and I’ve lived in the house with people who had the flu on multiple occasions and never got infected.

I’ve only had the flue once in my lifetime and that was prior to getting the flu shot annually.

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
As much as I’d like to say that it’s bullshit, it’s mandatory that active duty service members he the flu shot every single year and you never really hear about any of us getting infected.

And personally, I haven’t had the flu since I’ve joined and I’ve lived in the house with people who had the flu on multiple occasions and never got infected.

I’ve only had the flue once in my lifetime and that was prior to getting the flu shot annually.
It really depends on the person. My wife is required to get the flu shot annually since she’s been a nurse since 2012, and she’s had the flu 3 times since then. I’ve never had a flu shot and I’ve also never had the flu... and I Fock her ?

my mother in law is a social worker at the hospital and she gets the shot, and had also had the flu. Same with my father in law who’s a paramedic. Gets shot, has had the flu. Granted they have more exposure to people.... wouldn’t that mean the flu shot would be more effective? I wouldn’t have such a strong opinion on it if I didn’t have three extremely direct people in my life get the flu shot since I can remember, and also get the flu, yet I’ve never had the flu and never had the shot. ??‍♂

·
Premium Member
11,535 Posts
It really depends on the person. My wife is required to get the flu shot annually since she’s been a nurse since 2012, and she’s had the flu 3 times since then. I’ve never had a flu shot and I’ve also never had the flu... and I Fock her ?

my mother in law is a social worker at the hospital and she gets the shot, and had also had the flu. Same with my father in law who’s a paramedic. Gets shot, has had the flu. Granted they have more exposure to people.... wouldn’t that mean the flu shot would be more effective? I wouldn’t have such a strong opinion on it if I didn’t have three extremely direct people in my life get the flu shot since I can remember, and also get the flu, yet I’ve never had the flu and never had the shot. ??‍♂
I don’t know. Maybe it’s a combination of the flu shot and good PT.

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
I don’t know. Maybe it’s a combination of the flu shot and good PT.
Maybe. Either way the flu shot is never the current flu, but always the previous version and I think the effectiveness is stated to be below 35% for type A and under 50% for type B.

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
let me try to make you understand what the fear and real possibility is, that is already starting to play out in NY, and has been playing out in some areas of Europe.

The real danger and fear is the lack of capacity in the hospital systems to take care of the patients that are going to come in if we don't slow this down. Presently the number of cases in the USA is almost doubling every other day. This is not a big deal when the number was 500 but now we are over 55,000. Another even week of this and the numbers start to get really big really quick.

Yes only a relatively small number of people if able to be treated properly will die from COVID and yes some people barely have symptoms. But the numbers are playing out that somewhere between 30-40% of people will need some type of hospital care with it. Lets say that number is bullshit and its only 10%. Within a week if the trend of new cases continue we will be somewhere around 440,000 cases. 10% is 44,000 people in the hospitals MORE THEN NORMAL.

The hospital system does not have the beds, staff, personal protective equipment or life support equipment to care for that many people. so what happens?

Nurses and physicians start to get sick and some die, lowering the available staff even more especially when they can not get the gowns, masks or goggles they need.

You will see things that aren't normally hospital turned into hospitals, but we cant staff the regular hospital so how do we staff that?

Life support equipment has to be prioritized who gets it. So the person that would not have died of COVID in normal times now dies because there is no one to care for them. People are just left to die as we have nothing to offer them

What if you get in a bike accident and need surgery? What about anyone that needs dialysis or chemotherapy? Lots of people are going to die that otherwise would not in normal times.

This is not some bullshit made up scenario, I was a respiratory therapist for a long time and a nurse in an ICU for a few years. I am still friends and talk regularly with many people that work in the hospitals in various positions. This is already playing out in Italy and starting in Spain. In Spain they converted an ice hockey stadium into a morgue!!

This is serious not overblow and not bullshit we need to all take this serious and do our part to slow the spread. Italy has been on strict lockdown for 2 weeks. There number of new cases has slowed the last 2 days. Lets hope this trend continues.

Here is a good tracker if you want to watch how the numbers are doing around the world

stay safe everyone
That standpoint is noted, and I still think it’s overreaction. 60mil people were affected by h1n1 along with 500,000 total deaths worldwide and the hospitals still didn’t shut down.
I truly believe this is shock overreaction.

·
I miss my R1
3,257 Posts

We're not mandated in the Canadian military, but it's strongly encouraged. Most people I work with get it. I've had it every year since I joined (2005) and like you, I've never had the flu since.

·
I miss my R1
3,257 Posts
Maybe. Either way the flu shot is never the current flu, but always the previous version and I think the effectiveness is stated to be below 35% for type A and under 50% for type B.
That's not actually true, the annual flu vaccine is created based on a predictive model on which strain will be prevalent. They don't just automatically go with "last year's model".

·
Venom X/O
23,667 Posts
That's not actually true, the annual flu vaccine is created based on a predictive model on which strain will be prevalent. They don't just automatically go with "last year's model".
kind of
Per CDC they look at previous years flu and what strands got people sick, and estimate what they think will spread moving forward. Aka, it’s last years virus plus which one they “think” will spread this year.

also; according to the cdc; the virus genetically changes constantly, so they cannot effectively create a vaccine for the current flu season. So it’s a guess on the previous version.... or it’s previous versions of the virus and not the current virus strand.

or... for the laymen... it’s last year virus or a previous virus version

·
Super Moderator
24,357 Posts
I've never had a flu shot and I haven't had the flu for as long as I can remember. This coronavirus though, I don't want it. Symptoms don't show up for 5 days to 2 weeks. If I see my parents or my sister, I could infect them without even knowing and all 3 of them have underlying conditions and could die. I couldn't live with myself if that happened. So I believe this is a whole hell of a lot more serious then the flu.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts