Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,510 Posts
I've never had a flu shot and I haven't had the flu for as long as I can remember. This coronavirus though, I don't want it. Symptoms don't show up for 5 days to 2 weeks. If I see my parents or my sister, I could infect them and all 3 of them have underlying conditions and could die. I couldn't live with myself if that happened. So I believe this is a whole hell of a lot more serious then the flu.
Mortality rates for the flu are very low, that said someone I truly cared for died a couple years back from catching (seemingly) two different strains of the flu within 1.25 weeks or so. She was 41 and healthy.

The mortality rate by comparison for this is WAY higher, and holy shit it is spreading quick. A week ago there was one confirmed case in my entire county. Two days ago, one confirmed two blocks away. I'm young and healthy, but I'm worried for the people around me.
Outside of my database admin on my team, everyone else in either development or gov't project ownership/management is over 50. Outside my team (but in my group) there are lots of people (civilian, enlisted, contractor) who are NOT healthy, a bit older, etc.
Right now the Maryland strategy is flattening the curve, meaning we expect most people to catch it at some point. The goal is to not overwhelm the healthcare system all at once, minimizing fatalities.

·
Venom X/O
23,666 Posts

CDC states the virus isn’t easily spread from surface contact, and isn’t a sustainable transmission pathway for the virus. I’m really beginning to believe the mortality rate and fear of this pandemic was grossly over-calculated, especially in the US.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,510 Posts
So their comments are largely based around Dr. Birx's comment about potential inflation of figures like mortality rates and case numbers could be inflated up to 25%.

An article with actual info and expert opinion - ‘How Could the CDC Make That Mistake?’

Basically, CDC screwed up with a portion of their testing metrics to some degree. Worse, the CDC continued to change its story about its data. This means the total infection rate, relative to their reporting at that time, could be higher. This means the infected number goes up, but then we assume the confirmed coronavirus death stays the same (so the death toll percentage is lowered). Keep in mind we don't know the real death rate, as testing has been limited. Where the 25% comes from, who knows. Birx does have a clinical background, as dickishly pointed out in that video, but also has a background as an immunologist.
An aside here, and I'm not trying to knock anyone in particular, but the process doesn't really change the fact of opinion and what one person's view actually means. I've worked with many immunologists. I've heard some crazy ideas from accomplished professionals in the field.
One was great - this PI (principal investigator) believed that he'd found a way to identify gay people with a high level of certainty - by the way their hair swirled. This guy was totally sold on this idea. He told me and a famous local individual (I may elaborate on this here some day...) about it. Anyway, statistically his results were worthless - bad sample and all (50/50 on FIRE ISLAND). Another immunologist (former clinician) was borderline white supremacist with his views of his staff.

Ultimately, these people in the video scoff at a 60k number. It's a flu figure. The "up to" 25% is 25%. Maybe? Pretending their closer to 60k number at this point is closer to reality...

HOW IS THAT GOOD WHEN WE'VE SOCIAL DISTANCED ALL THIS TIME??? This is terrible.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts