Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
You might just learn something
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am starting to rebuild the 99 R1 I just picked up for cheap. have it torn down to the frame.

Rebuilding the motor as it just started knocking, and saw that the #3 rod did indeed spin the bearing. Got a crank and rod/piston assembly from a 5k mile bike that got laid down and cracked the case, so I should be good to go there.

Facts: Block has 55554 stamped; Old crank has 22222 on it; all the original bearings appear to be pink/blue which would mean size 1. New crank has 22223 on it, with black bearings on 1-4, purple on 5. If i were to correctly interpret what the factory manual says, then Block#(x) - Crank#(y) - 2 = bearing size (z).
Problem: 5-2-2=1 (blue) for 1-4, but 4-3-2=-1 (purple). all the bearings on the new(er) crankshaft are in perfect shape, would I be amiss in trying to use the black bearings instead of buying new blue ones?? I have a budget for the motor and I don't want to wast perfectly good bearings.

·
You might just learn something
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I checked the measurements on the bearings and crank/journals. All within spec with the black bearings. Installed the assembly last night and no binding when turning by hand.

Should have this motor up and running when the new gaskets get here... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am also rebuilding my 99 r1 . I am trying to figure out the bearings that i need . I was wondering how to or where do I find the color to Make sure I get the right ones. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts