Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.. in a nutshell, my throttle bodies connect to the head via these 1-2" long rubber tubes with clamps on them.

well, the throttle bodies popped off..

and i can't shove them back on with the clamps tight. and i can't see how to get an allen wrench down to tighten the clamps if i loosen them and put the throttle bodies back in place.

only thing i can think of is dropping the motor. help??!

anyone??

i know this has happened to one guy before who accidentally put diesel in his R1.. gonna try to find the thread and PM him..

·
2 wheels are better than 4.
1,548 Posts
You can either get an extended Allen wrench like what lil R! recommended or you can take off your tank and air box and use a little one by squeezing your hands in there - that is how I have done it two separate times now. I really should get the longer wrench it would cut maintenance times in half when working with the throttle bodies.

Good luck bro.

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
Liv2Ride said:
You can either get an extended Allen wrench like what lil R! recommended or you can take off your tank and air box and use a little one by squeezing your hands in there - that is how I have done it two separate times now. I really should get the longer wrench it would cut maintenance times in half when working with the throttle bodies.

Good luck bro.
I tired your description beofre, it was a pain ...a big one too

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
actually there are just drivers that are at least !.5 foot long..you don't need tbhe whole seet, jusyt a long driver that is it...cost around $10-15

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem and same headaches as described by the others. First thing I did was take the rubber couplers and cleaned them really good with carb cleaner so they were'nt oily anymore. Then I attached them to top of the manifold and tightened the lower screws. (easy without the carbs getting in the way). I then took a little bit of WD-40, sprayed it on my finger, then swabbed the inside of the rubber sleeves so they'd slip on easier. I then positioned the carbs over the holes and rocked it back and forth till they slipped all the way down into the rubber sleeves. Then using the long T handled allen wrenches I tightened the remaining four allen screws. No getting around it, tightening those screws is a total bitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
isagani
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing