Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

If you have been riding for 1 year have you gotten in a wreck??

• Yes, and it hurt

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • No, and Im happy

Votes: 36 36.7%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Savin Some $$$$
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, me and a couple friends are having a huge argument over wrecks on motorcycles, please poll or post.

!!!!!! If you have been riding a motorcycle for over a year Poll.

·
Ride Safe Mofos, I mean it.
1,957 Posts
It hurts when you go down at 100 mph. But nothing broken, just a knee cut that was a little infected when I got to the hospital. Aparently riding in sweat pants has it's ups and downs.

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
Crashes are pretty much inevitable. It'll either be your fault for a) acting stupid b) Not paying attention to others acting stupid c)Mechanical failure d) act of god e) all the above. I only got a little scratch on my knee in a spectacular low/high side. But never say never.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Been cut off and went down, been stupid and looped it, and went down after hitting an oil slick. Guess things come in three's

·
Registered
23 Posts
low sided (3 times)
high sided (130 MPH, what i've been told)
been cut off
knocked off by truck
All street..

It hurts, pay attention to what you doing

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,303 Posts
J-Nut said:
Ok, me and a couple friends are having a huge argument over wrecks on motorcycles, please poll or post.

!!!!!! If you have been riding a motorcycle for over a year Poll.

had a friend cross the center line.. hit a jeep head on... I was following.. I got his bike in my knee at speed..
Severed my leg except for the hamstring.. Three years, and 5 surgeries later, I'm still trying to get it together...
ya.. it hurts...

Attachments

·
You think you can keep up?!
650 Posts
Everyone crashes.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Re: Re: Crash or Not

yammiebender said:
had a friend cross the center line.. hit a jeep head on... I was following.. I got his bike in my knee at speed..
Severed my leg except for the hamstring.. Three years, and 5 surgeries later, I'm still trying to get it together...
ya.. it hurts...
OUUUUCH!!!!:(

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Honestly, if you ride "normally", then you can avoid a lot of unneccesary chances of crashing. I know people who has been riding for more than 15 years, and haven't crashed once.

Here is what I mean by riding "normally". :D For example, my first year of riding, I had no problem. Then the second year, I've learned how to wheelie. :D Guess what, yes I crashed on a wheelie once. :( But when you do things like this, you know that you'll have more chances to crash. So my point is, if I didn't do those wheelies, then that crash could be avoided... :yesnod

So, how you want to ride is up to you. You get my point? :sneaky

·
powderwhore
1,135 Posts
This past year riding summer and winter I have almost:
Low side: 1
Hit by car/truck: 3
Cut off: too many to count
It’s only a madder of time

·
powderwhore
1,135 Posts
Oh right and in all instances I was in excess speed. :2bitchsla

·
Registered
782 Posts
This polls results are misleading! If you ride, YOU WILL CRASH! Be ready for it! This is exactly the reason for the "Best Leathers" poll.

If you think that you are too good or too carefull to crash, you are being foolish!

I've been down 6 or 7 times. Most (thank God!) were not bad, some hurt a little and one hurt a lot (many broken bones). You can get hurt inspite of having really good kit. Good gear does not guarantee anything, but, sometimes, it can be the difference between life and death!

But, if you have not gone down and you don't want to ever go down, you should probably sell your bike right now and stop riding!

You will go down for exactly the reasons that Solidus stated. Be ready for it!

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
cobra-r1 said:
Just want to be certain but what is the exact meaning of lowsided or highsided?
Low-sided... :fact

Attachments

·
Be Good, or good at it!
356 Posts
Everytime you ride you should be prepared for the worst. I have been riding for roughly 18 years, have had 3 wrecks, 2 of them completely my fault as I was the only vehicle involved, and 1 where I got hit by a car. When I got hit by the car it was in my first 2 months of riding so I would bet that inexperience is what put me in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you ride responsibly and well within your limits you lower the chances of a serious accident exponentially. If you ride like you are Valentino Rossi everywhere you go, pushing the envelope every time the key is turned, you are flirting with disaster. Guage the risks you take, and always ride within 70 percent of your ability (be honest with yourself on that!!), follow the rules of "The Pace" (if you dont know what that is then try and get a copy) and save the real speed for the track. I personally have slowed to the point that I cant break 80 - 90 in turns anymore, and blind turns, well I am lucky to do 60, I am the guy that the group ends up waiting for, but with the guys I ride with that is completely ok with them. I have slowed a lot over time, not because my skills are worse, but actually my risk assesment is so much higher. Just remember the road isnt a race track and the chicken strips on my tires may be a sign not that I cant ride but maybe that I am just a lot more experienced.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
cobra-r1 said:
Just want to be certain but what is the exact meaning of lowsided or highsided?
High-sided... :fact

Basically, your rear slides and got grip again and swing back the opposite way...

Attachments

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
You'll be surprised how high the bike can throw you in the air with a highside... :fact

Attachments

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,303 Posts
jeez.. and I thought he was perfect ;)

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
yammiebender said:
jeez.. and I thought he was perfect ;)
Haha... maybe I should of posted crash pictures of Biaggi or something... :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I lowsided once at about 45-50, slid across two lanes, a gravel shoulder, and half way up some ladies front yard(thank god there wasn't a ditch or guardrail around the corner). Rode away unharmed except for a hole in the back of my jeans, a ruined wallet and C.Cards,(slid on my wallet), and damages to the bike. Lately I have just had a real hard time not knocking the bike off its stand in the garage.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts