Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have a custom rear rotor made for my project bike and I'm just checking to see if anyone else might be interested. The cost per piece goes down with quantity. So, AnonymousR1, Yaright, Blur, etc, chime in if you're interested.

It will fit the bolt pattern of the R7, 98-03 R1, 99-02 R6, however it will be the narrow track type as commonly used with racing calipers (typically 24mm piston). It will accommodate similar swept areas, 24mm Brembo, 25mm Nissin, etc. It will NOT be suitable with the stock caliper or most street calipers!

The disc size will be 220mm and 4mm thick, and again, narrow track. I'm considering stainless steel, titanium, and metal matrix composite, but not iron or ceramic matrix composite. I'm contemplating a few designs as follows, but I'm also open to ideas. Any interest, anyone?

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Are you going to use sheet material and then machine to finish ? or start with stamped blanks and finish machine ?? At the price of Titanium right now.... something like $59 - $60 per pound and I believe that is 3V2.5AL and these should be made out of 6V4AL if you're going to use Ti..... they'd be too expensive to be useful ( my thoughts anyway ) I'd consider 7075AL or some kind of Matrix because I'll probably use mine so little for track days it would be fine ( hard anodizd too )
Honestly I was just going to swiss cheese my stock rotor but if you get enough interest and of course based on price..... I'd entertain some interest ;-)

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
I'm no road-racer, but I would hazard a guess that most probably use the stock rear caliper/rotor set-up with a lightened stock rotor...

:fact

I think the market isn't broad enough to warrant totally custom rotors for seamingly rare calipers (I imagined they existed, but unless you're a factory racer they'd be a waste of $ for what they're worth)...

:cool:

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
i'm still contemplating my whole 'rear brake' setup as harris sent me a wide spacing rear caliper hanger for my swingarm that can only accomodate street calipers :mad:. i will be doing something else involving a brembo 'narrow' race caliper next year sometime though...... i like your idea though.:thumbup

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
So.... I just found an AP rear caliper is only about $350 in the US compared to a Brembo ( $950 ) similar weight too. I was looking at picking up a Brembo but now I'm leaning towards the AP caliper instead..... use the money saved for some other things....
Blur - get them to send you the right caliper hanger !! can't be using a " street " caliper on that bike !!

·
Premium Member
18,763 Posts
Subscribe..

Yaright - where did you find the AP caliper? I don't know any US distributors since ema stopped carrying them. I think GP Tech carries them, but I like to view an online catalog.. :p

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
GP Tech is where I found it..... I'm calling them on Wednesday to find out if they stock them. They have an online catalog

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yaright, I'm not sure if a stamped blank is even an option. At least, it's news to me. Do they sell them? I imagine they'd be 100% machined or waterjetted first, then machined on all surfaces. I agree with you too, Harris sending a street caliper with Blur's swingarm is baffling!

FishOuttaWater, it's not meant for everyone. I know I'm doing it, but I may be the ONLY one. There's obviously some interest. BTW, a Brembo 24mm racing rear caliper weighs LESS THAN 1/3 the weight of a stock 04 rear caliper and that's unsprung weight. Combine that with a lighter rear rotor with a much smaller MoI that's also unsprung weight. Then, you'll begin to understand how MotoGP bikes get so light and handle so well.

Here's the brembo style finished...

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
I like the Brembo " drilled " look myself.....

I was thinking fine blanking because that is how most of the rotors are done for bicycle disc brakes..... I have some contacts for that.... I'll research it after the Holidays

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
On the topic of drawing / manufacturing special parts..... I'm in need a front axle for my bike. I have a stock Ducati 998 axle in the now but it's not really designed for my application, it's slightly short... so I've kind of Ghetto fitted it. Anyone is this group ( hint ) have the ability to draw it up for me to get made If I supply dimensions ???

·
Premium Member
18,763 Posts
Yaright, I'm not sure if a stamped blank is even an option. At least, it's news to me. Do they sell them? I imagine they'd be 100% machined or waterjetted first, then machined on all surfaces. I agree with you too, Harris sending a street caliper with Blur's swingarm is baffling!

FishOuttaWater, it's not meant for everyone. I know I'm doing it, but I may be the ONLY one. There's obviously some interest. BTW, a Brembo 24mm racing rear caliper weighs LESS THAN 1/3 the weight of a stock 04 rear caliper and that's unsprung weight. Combine that with a lighter rear rotor with a much smaller MoI that's also unsprung weight. Then, you'll begin to understand how MotoGP bikes get so light and handle so well.

Here's the brembo style finished...

Do you have access to a CNC/waterjet?

My buddy owns a huge countertop fabricating, wholesaling, installation company and thye just got a new CNC that should be able to do this..

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yaright, I can draw up something for you, although an axle will be so simple, a machineshop will accept a simple drawing. I know because I've done that in the past. I'm drawing and having made a rear rotor, triple trees (I'm doing these now), front axle, wheel spacers, and rearsets. I'd appreciate any help you, AnonymousR1 or anyone could provide in getting things fabricated, as I don't have any machining equipment and have not made any local contacts yet.

A pictorial example of weight savings, left to right, 04R1 caliper, YZR500 caliper, M1 caliper...

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Funny how the cost goes up the smaller you go :sneaky

P.S. That was going to me my M1 caliper :jump but now I'm vasilating between it and the AP..... the price difference would buy me my Ti axles... Haven't decided for sure yet Chris....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Is that your M1 caliper??
They're all mine. I'm going to sell the 04 and one of the other two. If anyone is interested, the YZR caliper (Nissin) is $300 and the M1 caliper (Brembo, just like Rossi's, Stoner's, Hopkin's, Haga's etc) is $750 (you'll note, the same one Yaright referred to for $950 a few posts up- the point being, the price is right). Both are new and with pads.

Brembo pics here...
http://images.yamaha-racing.com/photo/high/P20070529130904906.jpg
http://images.yamaha-racing.com/photo/high/P20070818202123781.jpg
http://www.highrevs.net/motogp_gallery/suzuki_red_bull.jpg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.