Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this on my 02 R1, but it would work for any sportbike.

Parts Needed:
1 set of Mirror block-off plates (I used Greggs)
4 stainess steel screws that screw in the plates - slightly longer than the ones that come with them
4 stainless flat washers for the above screws
4 stainess lock washers for the above screws
1 set of Emgo mirrors (part no. 20-46296)
1 set of zinc-plated corner braces

Tools needed:
2 19mm wrenches
1 14mm wrench
1 Allen key
1 10mm wrench

Ok, first get your mirrors. You can get them through any Emgo dealer or Ebay. Mine came from Ebay from seller "jagmotorcycle" ([email protected]). They were model 20-46296, black finish, 6mm stud fairing mount mirrors.

Second, get some mirror block-off plates. I used my Greggs, but you could use something different. I will base my instructions for these though.

Next you will need to go to the hardware store. I live close to a Howard's True Value, but Ace should have the same thing. I got some short 6mm Allen bolts, flat washers, and lockwashers. Get them in stainless. It is not much more money, and well worth it. It will keep them from rusting later. Make certain to get the lockwashers also. Very necessary - or if they are not available, use Locktite.
While you are there, get the corner braces. See pic below for which ones.

Unbolt stock mirrors, bag them and save them for someday when you sell the bike. (Use the 10mm wrench for this)

Mount on the mirror blockoffs using the top bolt. Mount the brackets as shown in the pics to the bottom bolt. Use the lockwashers here. (Use the Allen key for this.)

Now mount the mirrors to the brackets as shown. Tighten completely. Make certain that you don't hit your hands on the mirrors.

Final step: Go for a test ride.

Attachments

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
OK, you got my attention.

Looks good. :rock

Mirrors are the one thing I hate most on bikes.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Whats the visibility like?
I get the feeling I will be spending the ride looking at my wrists instead of the usual elbows.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View is fine. With the stocks, I was always looking at my shoulders. I usually don't run mirrors and just look before I move over. It keeps me from punching it a lot (which is a good thing). With these, I can see fine, but I will still double-check before moving over.
Elbows are easier to move than shoulders for me. And these still work if you are completely tucked.
That said, these "vibrate" a little bit more than stock. Not bad, but figured that I should mention it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is an 02, and I have plenty of clearance at full lock. If you look at the pics though, you have to keep it up close to the fairing. There is not a lot of room in there. But just enough.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm..... I would just go with the small CRG bar end mirrors.
I like the CRGs on Ducati Monsters and cafe racers, but it always looked out of place to me on the sportbikes. Plues, the CRGs vibrate too much for me (of course, that is on a Duc v-twin....)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a clever way of doing it.
I am by no means the first to do it. Many others on here have done it long before me. I just wanted to post up the parts needed to help others find what they need.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I like the CRGs on Ducati Monsters and cafe racers, but it always looked out of place to me on the sportbikes. Plues, the CRGs vibrate too much for me (of course, that is on a Duc v-twin....)

i agree. i personally think all bar ends mirrors are ugliest thing you could do to a sportbike. its not a tricycle. you might as well put tassles on the end and a big shiny horn. blech.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I really like how it looks and how its unique. My only problem is a am 240lbs and will something like this be able to see around me? Also how much does it cost about to do this whole project?

Got any closer pics?

·
my R1 is inside of you
275 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.