Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'll be doing a custom race tail on my 99r1 with the help from the owner of (Sinned customs) he specialize's in building NHRA prostock cars but he is moving more twards the custom world and he is talented. I just got sick of the back heavy looking stock tail. He let's me work in the shop on my free time couple hrs a week in return I get shop credit in wich he is guiding me in my build. And thoughts questions or concerns about my build feel free to chime in. I'm all for constructive criticism . First pic my bike , second third and fourth the teardown, fifth cardboard cutout silhouette idea of the tail I'm going for it added two of the same pic Last pic the final tail I decided on next couple are my work so far ,. I'll be uploading and Posting indefinitely untill build is over now onto the pics!

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James D G I'll be ready to make my part out of foam to in about 2 to 3 weeks then on to making the mold to lay the carbon or glass but I'll be posting all of the little updates untill then thanks again

· Registered
246 Posts
Hey Nics, are you in Minneapolis? I'm just over the border, a little past Hudson Wi. If so, we need to hook up and compare notes.I am building my second tail, this time on my 01 r6. I too did not care for the looks of anything I could purchase, and am building a M1 style tail. My tail has roughly the same look as yours.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Nics, are you in Minneapolis?

I'm just over the border, a little past Hudson Wi. If so, we need to hook up and compare notes.I am building my second tail, this time on my 01 r6. I too did not care for the looks of anything I could purchase, and am building a M1 style tail. My tail has roughly the same look as yours.
Hey Gpaddict I am located in blaine mn about 25 miles north of Minneapolis I'd love to meet up and shoot the shit. Always like meeting new ppl that share the same goals and ambitions I have. I'm not to familiar with the site j just know how to post so if u want pm me your phone number or email me at [email protected]

· Registered
246 Posts
At one time, I actually lived in Blaine with my brother (for a short while). My I am trying to get a couple photos of my current build on here (if you dn't mind me posting them in yur build). I'm not real tech savvy, so it takes me a little while to figure this crap out.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's up everyone sorry it's been awhile since I've updated but I just got the subframe angles figured out and it's welded together. thinking about what type of exhaust to do. He thinks we can fab something up to go where a new ducati 1199 exhaust would go under the rear shock but here ya go here's some pictures

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for not updating about the bike. Im going to be flooding this topic over the next couple days with pics and info about the build. So here ya go i had the subframe mad amd added spray foam in hopes to shape it into a plug but the prosess and way it was looking was not what i wanted so i started from scratch and cut the subframe off again. The reason i did this was i bought a fiberglass tail that people probably wouldn't think of buying fo4 a 99r1. I looked at numerous different tails for different bikes and the winner was....

A profiber race tail for a 2015 cbr 1000rr. So waited a week and 5 days for it to show up and it finaly arrived at my door step. I brought it to the shop and moched it up. Welded the beginning of the subframe and made the front mount. I thenmade a template for the insideto locate where other two mounts wen and youll see it clekoed to the bike i then made the other two mounts for mid and rear made a custom battery box out of sheet aluminum on solidworks wich i cut out with a computerized plasma cutter then bent to shape then Dennis welded the bottom to the sides and we the put all of the mounting tabs in place and mounted electronics these are the pics i have so far ill have more tomorrow or the next day still havea few parts to cut out but im always accepting constructive criticism so feel free to chime in

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More of the completed battery box tail still needs to be fastened and need to make side covers. Also put dan moto rear sets and exhaust wich IMO sounds better than my buddys akro on the same bike also some welds need to be smoothed

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.