Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody just cutoff the EXUP? If you were to have slip-ons/race baffles and a Y-pipe/gutted cat, would it help to just cut-off the actual shaft on the butteryfly valve? Leaving the exterior portion of the EXUP as a block-off plate and of course removing the cables, but keeping the servomotor to avoid throwing a code.

If you have done this, did you loose any low or midrange power and would a full system map work (ie..full graves map), until you got a custom map?

I know a full system would be the way to go, but already have race baffles, y-pipe and PCIII. Trying to save a buck and was wondering if there is anything to gain (or lose) by getting rid of the EXUP.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Has anybody just cutoff the EXUP? If you were to have slip-ons/race baffles and a Y-pipe/gutted cat, would it help to just cut-off the actual shaft on the butteryfly valve? Leaving the exterior portion of the EXUP as a block-off plate and of course removing the cables, but keeping the servomotor to avoid throwing a code.

If you have done this, did you loose any low or midrange power and would a full system map work (ie..full graves map), until you got a custom map?

I know a full system would be the way to go, but already have race baffles, y-pipe and PCIII. Trying to save a buck and was wondering if there is anything to gain (or lose) by getting rid of the EXUP.

if u cut the cables u will need to take out the exup valve out orelse it will move freely or hang closed or open!! I took mine out and cut out a peice of sheet metal to replace the cover!! i then took the servo motor off and cut the wires!!! cutting the wires and unpluging the servo motor is going to leave u a yellow/orangish light that will stay on but dont worry about it! it will not affect anything but saying something is wrong with a circuit!! with my mods air filter,graves stacks,smog block offs,mircon slip on, pc3 lower end seems alot better!!!

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not planning on cutting the cables. If I were to remove the EXUP, I would remove the cables. I would then take the valve out of the collector and actually cut the metal portion of the valve where it is narrow (shaft) just before it enters the portion that goes outside. The actual butterfly portion would be gone, but a small portion 1/2in. would be on the inside. I would keep all the crap (spring, washers , nut, and cover) on the outside. The solenoid would still have the electrical connection so there would be no codes on the instrument panel. I don't want to have an engine light on all the time incase something else (more serious problem) occurs and I just blow it off just thinking it the same old EXUP code .

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
and actually cut the metal portion of the valve where it is narrow (shaft) just before it enters the portion that goes outside. The actual butterfly portion would be gone, but a small portion 1/2in. would be on the inside. I would keep all the crap (spring, washers , nut, and cover) on the outside.
well it would be fine i guess just seems like the same amout of work!!! i would much rather block it off with a peice of sheet metal than putting that crap back on it imo!!! but doesnt seem like there would be any problem what so ever and i didnt say u had to remove the motor i was just saying u could a pound here and there adds up u know!!!!!

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. I was just asking anybody who has an "07" who may have taken out the EXUP (doesn't matter to me how it's done) to see how it ran down low. And also to see what map they used. I'm debating if I should leave it or remove it. As per the weight savings, I just need to look in the mirror to see where I could lose 30 lbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Cut Mine Out

I did just that. You can see my job on Race baffles/ mufflers cut down 4".
I took my EXUP cables off, it's easy, just undue the covers, they come off both ends, just like a throttle cable. That way the motor can do all it's fun stuff, thinkin it's actually doing something !! :)
I took the EXUP valve out, put it in a vise grip, and GRINDED the EXUP VALVE off with my grinder until it was gone. I'll attach a pic if I can here, I photographed it.

Bike sounds like a full on GP bike now with this simple (yet time consuming mods)

Best of luck
christ

Attachments

·
Gixxer killer
216 Posts
christ- did this help or hurt your bottom end. I was thinkin about doing this also but the reason yamaha even puts these on is supposedly for bottom end. Just wandering if it helps removing it or would I just be wasting time?

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, cool. Yea, tell us about any changes in power and are you using a PCIII, and if so, which map? Also, do you still have the cats?

I might just make a cover plate and keep the EXUP in one piece. That way I might do my own testing to see which way feels better to me. On the same day I could test ride it without the EXUP and then yank it out and see what kind of effect it made and maybe try other maps. If there is no question (yours and others input) that taking the EXUP out helps, I'll just cut the thing off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
YES, In my opinion, Bottom end WAS helped, but It's still a DOG down low!! I ordered the 15 tooth to HELP in that area yesterday.
I've not bought PClll USB yet, THEY say mapping will help ... I think the limiting factor is the ECU actually, limiting throttle openings the way it does.
I want the Race ECU with the light hookups attached to it (available).
I'd cut it off ... Tell me when the last time anyone's BLOCKED off an exhaust pipe to INCREASE power anytime?
That logic don't compute in this old brain anyways.

:)

christ

·
Registered
51 Posts
nor does it computer to GRAVES, Hindle, Two Brothers ... Yosh, BOZ ... see my drift? they ALL offer Headers WITHOUT this Valve in it. I had mine out two hours after owning my 2007 R1.

christ

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm with you on that thought. The whole EXUP thing has me baffled (pun intended). I know some times that increasing muffler volume (not restriction), stepped headers, "D" shaped exhaust ports can all help in ant-reversion thus helping torque in the lower rpms. But sticking a big ole' restriction in the collector? The whole idea of having exhaust tubing mandrel bent is to keep the restriction down to a minmum. I have never seen one in a car?

I'm going to take that "thing" out!

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I'm just wondering why it seems so hard to get rock solid info on the EXUP. I read somewhere on this forum that on the 07 they don't need it anymore since the intake is so finely tuned now and Yamaha just uses it for noise regs. I couldn't say if that is true or false. It would be nice to see a side by side dyno run..one with the EXUP and one where it was removed (with stock headers). Does anybody know if anything like that exists?

·
My CBR eats me.
31 Posts
Yo Christ, thanks for the pics, gonna do that today with the a and ar baffles... Has anyone remove the cat? or is the a simple how to?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes I did those too.

Just cut on the OUTSIDE of the factory welds, otherwise you'll be cutting INTO the CAT PART itself (trial & Error on my part).

Leave a bit on the END ... so you can fold the pipes back together properly, for proper welding after (so it doesn't screw up the angles). I do not have photos of that ... sorry.

The Cat material is hard ... but once you get a chisle THROUGH ... you'll see it comes out ok. I did BOTH ... why stop at one.

You can see the job I did under http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217134

it's a good job, but the bike is NASTY LOUD now done this way. Cannot even hear my buddy's DONE RC51 with Akri 2 to 1 running beside it in garage here. Awsome sound though ... let it be LOUD I say. OH ... do the block off plates ... it quiets the popping on decelleration. I HAVE TO get PClllUSB now ... it does run lean...

PClllusb will fix it with custom map ... that's next on the block for this 2007 R1

hope it helps

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Stop wasting your time, trash the whole exhaust system and fit a Titanium item, filter and PCIII...then remove the complete exup system and fit the SamServo fix, that will fix the fault on the dash.

You gain smooth clean power delivery and knock alot of weight off.

The Exup does work..if you think otherwise then fix it to full open and take it for a ride, reconnect and try again...your asso dyno should feel the difference:hammer:

BUT, agree, the R1 is alot more exciting to ride when you do the above mods and the dyno graphs prove that.

Have fun:saw:

·
My R1 powertool rulezzz.
237 Posts
Subsribe to this thread!

Curious about your findings on the 07.

I have taken out the exup valve at my previous bike (04 R1) and I have some dyno's from that bike with the exup valve in original state and blocked in open situation. Not much power increasement, just slightly better. However, a better sound for sure. In my opinion Yamaha is using the exup valve for noise regulations.

Check the topic of the 04-06 on it:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169872

And another topic on it:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116890

·
Registered
51 Posts
scrat ...

the 2007 R1 has complete Titanium system (cept the cat mid-pipe) ...you're not going to save anything. just on the mid pipe. no error on R1 by delete 02, blocking off smog, filter ... RACE baffling etc.

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Yep you right, same as the GSXR, but it's dog ugly...:butt

Race systems are definitely alot better than stock items. If you wanna save cash then ye, remove the cat and fit slip ons with a PCIII and filter. If you REALLY short on cash then gut the original cans.

I just never do anything half ass'd...:hammer:...I'm lucky...:dollar

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.