Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey British Bulldog, great job on the tractor!!! Noticed you have filters (breather) in place of the smog system (AIS). Just wondering why you didn't just use block-off plates? Obviously it looks like you know what you are doing.

·
Nothing cuter than ass & udder
46 Posts
a german tuner did all that shit for rn12. eliminate exup, gutt the cat, different stacks, in almost all possible combinations dynoed it and published it.

i have the pdf here. anybody interested? unfortuately it?s german language.

·
My R1 powertool rulezzz.
237 Posts
a german tuner did all that shit for rn12. eliminate exup, gutt the cat, different stacks, in almost all possible combinations dynoed it and published it.

i have the pdf here. anybody interested? unfortuately it?s german language.
I am interested, as a Dutch guy I can read German :sneaky

I will send you a pm with my e-mail address

·
Destroy what destroys you
361 Posts
Just finished my mods but the Exup is still there.
I have the Graves cat eliminating slip ons, Graves V stacks, Graves smog block off plates, PCIII....It sounds great and really got rid of that nasty idle surge. It seems very crisp and responsive.
I question to rip out that Exup valve. Some say it's BS in there and should yank it out.
I will leave the Servo motor in place for now but how adviseable and recommended is it to wire it open or just remove it altogether?
I guess I won't gain much, but I don't want to lose anything either.

Pull it?

Leave it?

Thanks!

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Toss the exup motor, the whole lot and fits sams servo fix, save loads of dead weight and you won't have that error code/light on the dash if you remove the whole system.

Assuming you have a full system, if not, I'd leave the whole servo setup.:finger

·
Is that right!
1,647 Posts
my mods;
Akra Slipons
Akra Y pipe
K&N air filter
PC3
Smog blockoffs

okay fellas, i know this thread is old and by now you should have some feedback for me. i am debating if i should remove the exup on mine. i did a lot of searching and reading but no strong facts to back anything up. some say by removing exup the lowend becomes even weaker with mine setup, meaning dont do it due to stock headers not having the same air flow as Akra headers from a full system.
others say it will help and save weight.

what is you conclusion on this. i will have the bike apart and would like to do it now so i dont have take it apart again for this mod.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I took mine out, cut the valve itself off and put the stock parts back on. I did loose a tiny bit down low, but it feels stronger midrange and up top. In all honesty I dont spend much time down in the RPM range anyway. Most of the time I am 7k rpm+ unless I am cruising on the highway. I say do it and get a custom map.

·
Is that right!
1,647 Posts
my mods;
Akra Slipons
Akra Y pipe
K&N air filter
PC3
Smog blockoffs

okay fellas, i know this thread is old and by now you should have some feedback for me. i am debating if i should remove the exup on mine. i did a lot of searching and reading but no strong facts to back anything up. some say by removing exup the lowend becomes even weaker with mine setup, meaning dont do it due to stock headers not having the same air flow as Akra headers from a full system.
others say it will help and save weight.

what is you conclusion on this. i will have the bike apart and would like to do it now so i dont have take it apart again for this mod.

if i remove it, will i need to put a full system map on it?

·
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
3,420 Posts
so you have stock headers, do you have any # going from with exup to exup delete?
I think it was almost 2hp up top but there was a better increase from about 5k up IIRC.

This was on an 04 engine BTW.

I used the same header on the 07 engine and the bike ran like ass until I got it tuned. Baseline was 153hp or 154hp, after the tune it was just under 161hp(again, 07 engine).

·
Give it gas!!!
2,382 Posts
It is recommended. When I removed mine the bike rode like crap, got it re-tuned on the dyno shortly after and it ran much better!
Hey Dark, do you have a PC on the 04 that you remapped?
...just curius if I'll need to buy one if I Gut the exup?

·
Chain Breaker
1,612 Posts
I think I was about the first on this forum to mod the exup like discribed(only instead of cutting it off I turned a piece up proper so the air will flow better, if you search you will find dyno charts before and after some where also. Its well worth removing to save weight and these valves are a pain in the ass too, always troublesome. There will be no real noticeable difference down low you will gain else where though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.