Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this issue....fairly certain this will not get resolved here as my bike is far from stock, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

It starts up just fine....sometimes dies the first time tryint idle, but then starts right up. Whether I warm it up completely or take right off, the same scenerio happens. I run it through the gears, start slowing for the first stop down shift while decelertating (I usually engine brake a bit) then pull in the clutch roll to a stop and then when completely stopped, the bike dies. Shift it into neutral and restart and it WILL NOT idle. i have to givei t some throttle to keep it running ,shift back into first and take off.

This usually only happens during the first stop, but longer rides it has happened randomly again.

The second thing it does is seeming at random it will lose power while in motion....not sluggish, like the engine died and then cam back right on again. Usually this happenes ad low speed or throttle, but I did get it to do it around 100mph in 3rd, smooth throttle.

Then the dash backlights seems to operate at random. When they are out the blinkers don't work....from what I can tell, this seems to be reandom, so I'm not sure if that's consistant.

I pulled off the left side fairing and checked all the connectors that go to the lights and cluster, they seem fine.

Here is what I've done electrically since the bike last worked fine:

Accumen gear indicator (which doesn't seem to work)
YEC flashed computer, which involved some rewiring of the harness and addition of switches
USB power coard to handlebars....also switched.
ballistic battery

There are also a whole munch of mechanical mods, but I don't thing those will be off consequence.

The way it acts, it really seems electrical. I disconnected my HID's to see if that was the issue (I've always had weird crackling upon startup) that didn't change anything. Next I will disconnect the accumen.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike only has 5K on it and I swapped them out 2 summers ago.....do they go bad that fast?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It depends on how you ride. When you take out the plugs you will know whats going on with the engine.

At first i thought it was my throttle position sensor so i changed it out at the dealer..that didnt solv

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
damn turkeys
29,368 Posts
what are you idling at once warmed up? check to make sure your system is making enough power to keep everything properly charged as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What year bike do u have? They had a recall on the tps for the 04. I got mine changed for free. If u call yamaha they can look and see if it was fixed on ur bike. I had the same problem then got the tps fixed and no more problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike is an 08....this is the 07-08 section.

I'll check the idle tonight, and maybe try the battery thing....I think I have the stocker sitting around but it's probably dead......the ECU is the brain though......semantics.

I was goingto pull the accument out this morning but realized it was cinnected under the tank as well as the cluster, so I took the truck to work.

Yay.

·
if ya cant dodge it, ram it
622 Posts
Id check the pins you swapped in the harness. Did this start happening out of no where? Or was it after putting some parts on?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
R1 Forum Star
16,119 Posts
Have you changed the fuel line? make sure that isn't kinked...and my make sure I mean if you haven't changed it, change it for an actual fuel line that won't kink.

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This happened after I messed with all the above....so I know it's something I did, as opposed to a problem with the bike. Just not sure how to figure it out, nor how to identify it....what I was hoping was someone would say 'oh that sounds like XXXXX' and then I could start there.

Speaking of which....Chris, if there was a fuel line issue, wouldn;t there be stuttering and such as opposed to random all off, all on? That being said, which fuel line do you recommend replacing, and with what? I know there are 2(?) that come off the bottom of the tank and I had them off and they could possibly be kinked.

·
R1 Forum Star
16,119 Posts
This happened after I messed with all the above....so I know it's something I did, as opposed to a problem with the bike. Just not sure how to figure it out, nor how to identify it....what I was hoping was someone would say 'oh that sounds like XXXXX' and then I could start there.

Speaking of which....Chris, if there was a fuel line issue, wouldn;t there be stuttering and such as opposed to random all off, all on? That being said, which fuel line do you recommend replacing, and with what? I know there are 2(?) that come off the bottom of the tank and I had them off and they could possibly be kinked.
there are 2? I'm not talking about the vents, I'm talking about the pressured one comes out of the fuel pump and has the quick connect on it you will need to reuse. I'll have to check the size but I think it is 1/4" line and I went to 5/16 to make it easier to get across the stock connectors. You can get it at Autozone or anywhere like that.

If the kink were bad enough it may just not get enough fuel when you are decelerating or at idle. I'm not saying it is for sure, but for the $5 or so it costs, I'd make the change

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the 2nd must be the vent I'm thinking of.

I messed aroundwith a lot of stuff under there, including relocating my ignition, so it's definitly possible it's getting kinked.

·
R1 Forum Star
16,119 Posts
Yeah, the 2nd must be the vent I'm thinking of.

I messed aroundwith a lot of stuff under there, including relocating my ignition, so it's definitly possible it's getting kinked.
if you include the vents there are 3 :lol 2 small tubes from the tank itself and then the larger hose for the fuel line coming from the pump.

·
Venom X/O
25,561 Posts
Here is what I've done electrically since the bike last worked fine:

Accumen gear indicator (which doesn't seem to work)
YEC flashed computer, which involved some rewiring of the harness and addition of switches
USB power coard to handlebars....also switched.
ballistic battery

There are also a whole munch of mechanical mods, but I don't thing those will be off consequence.

The way it acts, it really seems electrical. I disconnected my HID's to see if that was the issue (I've always had weird crackling upon startup) that didn't change anything. Next I will disconnect the accumen.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
This happened after I messed with all the above....so I know it's something I did, as opposed to a problem with the bike..
Maybe you've answered your own question?

Maybe check the connectors in the wires, might be loose and need to be repinned?

·
Douchebag
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I realize it's a possibility......not exactly sure how to test for it since it's so random. I'm setting up a burning area with can soon on my property. I think I know what will be one of the first items burned.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts