Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Young and Stupid
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, they're kinda hard to keep, but my main question is, the top of the tree is soft, however, the outsides, that look like they have new growth is pretty hard, almost brittle, is that ok?

·
I need a bike :(
145 Posts
If by switch you mean completely drain the tank, wash it very thorougly and restart it as a saltwater tank, no, not real hard.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
Is that a real bonsai tree or just a small shrub. I know absolutely nothing about the subject, but I remember from karate kid, Mr. Miagi said that real bonsai trees cost thousands of dollars. Then again all of my solid info is coming from karate kid :p

you ======> :2bitchsla <======= me

·
Registered
3 Posts
switching to saltwater is not hard, just expensive. your going to have to get all new filter system and prob new lighting, i suggest doing a lot of research and talking to your local aquaruim shop. maintaining saltwater takes a lot more time and effort than keeping goldfish, also i cant tell what size tank that is but most saltwater tanks are 55 gallons or larger, the smaler the tank the more time your going to have to spend since there is a lot less room for error.

·
Registered
633 Posts
oldspice hit it right on the head. I used to work in an aquarium shop growing up and am currently running a 180 gallon all live rock/live sand. the setup is most important, and then after that is patience. I'd invest in a good sump wet/dry system. However, this entails a lot of plumbing. If your local aquarium shop can drill the bottom of tanks for return and feed this would be a lot easier. I'll try to run a list of basics for hardware.

Heater - preferably titanium with a digital readout
wet/dry sump
protein skimer
pump - to return water to tank
powerheads
overflow box
plumbing - do not use pvc pipe there is no flexibility should you have to move things around
cooler - if where you live gets hot

then you can get really technical depending on what you plan on having in the tank

fluidized beds
reserve osmosis equipment
uv sterilization
NO2 diffuser (reefs)

in tank

I wouldn't go with anything less than live sand and live rock even if you don't plan on running a reef. Your fish will love it and there is a good amount of biological (good bacteria).

lighting depends on what you are running once again. But actinic blues usually work good unless you're going reef - that's a whole different story.

Running a salt can be a science, but can be easy if you have all the right things in place. Tried to cover things in a general manner, but ask any questions if you like. I've set up 2000 gallon aqauriums!:eek:

sorry for the lenghty read

·
Young and Stupid
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, but i thought live rock was a reef, like if you stack up live rock that was a reef system, and the guy told me i can use the same filters, i need a mount for my heater, i'm going to buy a power compact and powerheads before i switch over..and its a 30 gal tank....i really want a bow front corner tank, but $$$$

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a fish with a mild disease, I had to put in medicine so I unplugged the tank and took out the filters like it said , then went away for the weekend and came home to a tank of salt water fish that drowned because they ran out of air. I forgot to plug it back in. That cost me over a grand in fish and now I have 2 goldfish and an algae eater! Its a little more maintenence, its not to bad though if you have the time. Make sure the fish are either all aggressive or all non aggressive or else you will watch your hard earned money get eaten alive!!!

·
just ride
77 Posts
I have a 29gal. bowfront reef.
halide+pc lights
euroreef skimmer
live sand+live rock.
Had a fish only with live rock 125gal. but had to
sell it because I moved to a smaller place.
Reefcentral is a great forum with all the info
you need. Look for some pics. of the 200-800+gal.
tanks on there it is something to see. The fish only
tanks are easy to keep and one thing I like about
saltwater tanks is no smell. I had oscars in my 125
before it was saltwater and they would fowl the water
so fast. 30 Gal. limits the fish you can have too. Don't
start with tangs as they get sick easily and 30gals.
isn't enough room for them. Just start it up slow
and take your time adding fish and you will be OK.
Nice tree by the way.
r1er

·
Registered
633 Posts
02RedR1 said:
thanks, but i thought live rock was a reef, like if you stack up live rock that was a reef system, and the guy told me i can use the same filters, i need a mount for my heater, i'm going to buy a power compact and powerheads before i switch over..and its a 30 gal tank....i really want a bow front corner tank, but $$$$
Although, live rock and live sand are used in reefs, no they do not make up a reef. A reef would have that PLUS invertebrates - corals, mushrooms, anemones, etc. I like to use live rock and sand to hae a better biological system, but I don't add invertebrates to the system. Things pop up here and there like feather dusters. Running a reef would involve different temperature and ph levels, not to mention lighting requirements - halide, actinics, etc.

·
Young and Stupid
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya guys pics would be great!!! my freshwater tank looks somewhat bland compared to most of the salt water tanks, i might switch here pretty soon, i think my goldfish and koi are going back to the pond, and i might trade the black one for some store credit....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts