Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bigger is Better
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my cycle world mag in and saw the awesome numbers it put out (HA HA). A big 145.4 bwhp. We better look out for this beast on the road. I figured Honda would have had something this year since they have been so far behind the last few years. I guess not. I fill sorry for the Honda guys.
Dennis:rock

·
Registered
551 Posts
haha

Not only is it fugly but it is fat and down on hp. J/K I have had Honda dirt bikes all my life and if you keep the oil fresh they will run 4- ever.. Only had one Honda street bike 1984 V-65 magna, loved that bike:thumbup

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never thought I would ever hear someone laugh at a bike that has "only" 145hp. I remember when I wished my CBR had 130hp, Man how times have changed.

·
Bigger is Better
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was laughing at the numbers it put up compared to all the other liter bike and their numbers. Dont get me wrong 145 is a impressive number 2 yrs ago and still is today but from the others is very low for a completely new bike. I just thought that honday may have something this year. I have alway liked a honda and i switch in 99 to yamaha cause of the hp and look.
Dennis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Remember, you need the same bikes on the same dyno at the same time.

The '04 R1 could easily have ended up 148rwhp on that dyno at that time.

With my '02 954, the same bike, same "system," same year, same equipment on Dan Kyle's dyno was SAE 149.5rwhp, and then dynoed at about 139rwhp on the Mach 1 dyno near my house. However, it was the strongest 954 dynoed to date, picked up 12rwhp and about 6rwtrq with the full Arata, PCiii and map (back-to-back dynoes comparing stock with no riding in between) (to get ot the listed 139 or so), was neck in neck with a '03 R1 full system and map on that dyno, and down by about 4rwhp and 5rwtrq to a full system and pciii G1k on that dyno. So, each dyno is different.

Information like this dyno of two bikes is why the shootouts are so interesting. So far, all 4 of the liter bikes appear to be grouped at about 150-153rwhp--virtually the same. The Honda, while possibly missing a few ponies in the nosebleed section of the powerband, appears to have more grunt in the middle and a linear, easy to use power curve.

Bottom line, a very interesting time for liter bikes!

·
2L8 IONE
116 Posts
what needs to be done is have four dynos in the same room for all four bikes and run them at the same time then well see who has the biggest balls

·
All your R1 are belong to us!
746 Posts
Torque is wildly underrated. HP is fine for top speed, but not acceleration. The R1 would do well if it could replicate the CBR's torque curve, which is impressive. Hoping the R will develop a more pronounced torque curve in future iterations ('05,'06).

·
If my R6 had boobs,I'd lick'em
1,633 Posts
ok, I don't get that.

Hp is good for high speed... high speed acceleration? but then you say not acceleration...

What do you mean by it being good for high speed?

·
Bigger is Better
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he is saying that for top speed runs then horsepower is what you need. If you want to get from point a to point b then you want torque.
Dennis

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
Torque and HP are the same thing. If you could replicate the Hondas torque curve, then you would replicate the Hondas HP curve as well. The shape of the torque curve is very important though.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
what needs to be done is have four dynos in the same room for all four bikes and run them at the same time then well see who has the biggest balls
Just the opposite is true: All bikes on one and the same dyno, in short order to keep environment conditions the same.
NO blower (because this is anything but a realistic airstream), if you wand to test the ram-air you need a full-scale wind tunnel.

There are other things to consider.
First of all, dynamic dynos (accellerating a drum) are crap because the inertia of the rear wheel is part of the performance measurement. Only static dynos (with brake) are reliable.
Second there is a big mess with different HP standards (ECC , SAE etc... and also often user errors when applying conversion factors.
So, enjoy the courves, don't look to much at the figures.
The only interesting thing in fact is comparison of two bikes on the same stand, same conditions, same conversion factors...

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
Who cares if the dyno measures how heavy your rear wheel is. If you have a heavy rim, your output will suffer, just like when you ride on the street. To me, RWHP=real world HP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts