Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to buy some paint to paint my race bike. Kind of thought of a scheme very similar to my current one (in my avatar - lower in silver, the rest in red), but wanted to change both colors to different shades.

So went to a PPG auto paint store, and asked for:

Red: Inferno Red Pearlcoat 3ct paint# 5469
Silver: Limited Bright Silver Metallic paint# 36445

The guy told me I would need a quart of the red (tail, tank, upper and sides), and a pint of the silver (for the lower only).

I got including hardener and reducer for both paints. The total came to:

Red: ~260
Sil: ~50
TOT: ~310 (including all paints, coats and reducer and hardener).

Do you guys think I need that much paint for the bike? The price for that small piece of plastic seems steep to me, especially given the fact that it will be for a race bike. It will look killer.

Also, the red is a tri coat (separate base, metallic and clear) so looks like the work will be longer.

Any substitute recommendations? Any other place I could get this paint for cheaper? Any other color suggestions?

Really appreciate.

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
reds are the mmost expensive in any brand, ppg is one of the top 3 most expensive brands, their deltron 2000 lineup is about 1k for a gallon depending on color. But yes good paint is expensive, i paint bikes folks think that im charging too much, they just dont understand what it costs,.

They think 400.00 for one color is too much, it just depends on what kinda of work they want. Alot of guys want glass showroom finish for 400.00 , i personally wont do that kind of work for less than 800.00.

So in the end with paint and painting, you do get wat you pay for.

You can use duponts chromabase ssytem, they have a color called laser red, from the ford mustand, its a tri stage, but any store that sells dupont can mix it into a ready to spray basecoat instead of tri coat, you can get it ready to spray or unreduced, i would go unreduced in a pint, it reduces 1 to 1 so you get a quart, you can get he nasons clearcoat, which is just the previous tears dupont top of the line clearcoat in a green can. I use the spot pnel clearcoat, cuz it dries in 3 hours, really good stuff.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Its expensive!

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
i should have read closer, the red your looking at, might not cover that well, since it has to be translucent, so i would def get a quart of that for those parts, youll probably do 3 to 4 basecoats, and for the smaller, a pint will do, you can do the same thing and spend about half by not using ppg,

plus , its the race skins, so unless you want showroom quality on the race skins, you could have that mixed in a two stage instead of tri coat. maybe even a single stage. unless you want showroom on the skins, i did it the first time around, spent close to 35 hours on painting and masking and buffing etc etc, then wrecked the bitch. LOL

now i just do singlestages on the race skins and i dont crash anymore hahha
im racing next :jump year so that might change

·
Registered
272 Posts
i dont want to thread jack, but can yamaha team blue paint be bought anywhere other than through yamaha? or would it be easier/cheaper just to go to an auto paint store and have them try to match it? also how much would be needed to paint a tail, mids and lowers? again, i dont mean to thread jack but maybe one of you guys can answer. thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
PPG is one of the most expensive paints but that sounds about right for paint costs I painted alot of things for people when i was in h/s and they were suprised what it costs for the good paint. I kno when i painted my hood and fender for a 92 GTI after an accedent thats about how much everything cost and it was a quart of red with clear and reducer and the clear coat actavator. but trust me in the end you will be happy you paid for it because PPG is :boobies

·
WERA #5
539 Posts
Race bike..... yeah which rattle can do you want to use? If your racing, no point in going full boogie on the paint job. You will find out why later. I would buy some spare parts instead. But it is nice to have a good looking race machine!

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
i dont want to thread jack, but can yamaha team blue paint be bought anywhere other than through yamaha? or would it be easier/cheaper just to go to an auto paint store and have them try to match it? also how much would be needed to paint a tail, mids and lowers? again, i dont mean to thread jack but maybe one of you guys can answer. thanks

Color Rite

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
depending on how many coats you want to do but just under a quart to make it look nice... but its a race bike so idk rattle can looks just as good if you take you time

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
depending on how many coats you want to do but just under a quart to make it look nice... but its a race bike so idk rattle can looks just as good if you take you time

Yeah, it is for a race bike, but I think that it is a perfect opportunity to learn to paint auto surfaces and prep it all. I no longer think to spend 300+ for the paint. I will go with something that is a 2 stage finish (base mixed with metallic + clear coat). Will be easier and cheaper too.
Hope to cut the cost in half, even if I sacrifice the finish.

If I paint it top notch I will have to watch out for nicks and dings, and that would just drive me nuts. It is one of the reasons I sold my street bike (too time consuming to maintain in great shape). Started riding it at the track and it was not a good idea imo.
So it is sold, and I now have the race bike.

I have seen some really nice rattle can jobs too. I guess I have to do it to say 'yeah, I ve done that' sort of thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
any time bro glad i could help... btw dont waste a ton of money on a good gun till you learn how to paint really well, get the cheapo one from ur local hardware store it will work for what your doing... trying to help u keep ur cost down cuz i kno racing aint cheap

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
colorite sucks. ppg rocks.. but is pricey. i dont think u need that much. i painted my nephews tlr1000, tail, body, swingarm fender and other bits. i got quart of yellow and pint of silver... now depending on ur gun and such.. i think pint of each might work. red is pricey.. make sure u use good sealer.. for ppg dp40(or whatever color sealer u need).. but use DP stuff.. u will use less paint and it will not lift or blemish on sealer.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any time bro glad i could help... btw dont waste a ton of money on a good gun till you learn how to paint really well, get the cheapo one from ur local hardware store it will work for what your doing... trying to help u keep ur cost down cuz i kno racing aint cheap
Thanks for the advice. Will get me a cheap one for sure. At this time I am not planning to make living doing this so it will all be as cheap as I can get away with. Will practice on the extra tail section I have, then will move onto the bodywork.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.