Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Save your self from buying new underwear after the tank slapper from hell! Buy the damper. I use the Scott's damper, love it.

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
Exhaust

depends on how you ride .. if you are the "have to open the throttle" type then the damper .. but if you're the "I wanna look fast but never open the throtte" type then the new can would be a better idea ..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just got back from my local motorcycle dealership where I was chatting with the mechanic. He rides a 929 and also races (they don't sell Harley's at this place :)

I was looking at a full system carbon fibre Ackropovic pipe (weighs about 7lbs - less then just the blue titanium stock can!) and he told me it was just shy of 2k CDN. OUCH!!!

Anyways... he said the ABSOLUTE first thing I should get for my bike is the steering dampner. He said on any bike, but R1 more so then some, that this will make great improvements when cornering and hitting those little ruts..

He highly recommended the Ohlins. So.....maybe I'll hold off on the tailpiece and get the dampner first...pipe 2nd...tailpiece third...turbo kit 4th...:D :D

:bs

Oh how nice it would be to be LOADED!!!

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Shawn, Well, I'm the real "beginner" here on the board, so I read all the posts and really listen to these guys. And the one thing that has stood out in importance to me is that a steering damper is going to be a HUGE priority for me. I have ridden sportbikes before, but this will be my first R1 to own. I'm planning on buying a 2001 R1, whixh will most likely already have a damper on it. But if it doesn't... you can bet thats the very first thing I will be getting!! :D The pipe (if that isn't already there as well) will come later. I think Blue Streak's advice made alot of sense for me, although he is far from a beginner. Whatever you decide to do, let us know! By the way, your bike looks really great all polished and shiny! I saw the pictures in the members photos! Nice job!! :rock

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

hey thanks a lot kathleen I appreciate the compliment and good luck w/ your R1 endeavors I know you will love it, until winter comes and you half to watch it sit there for 4 months witch reminds my I tried to ride mine today 32 degrees here in Cleveland didn't make it far hehehe

·
Registered
79 Posts
tank slappers

The only tank slappers I ever had were on the original tires, since switching to 208's gp's (same deal with slicks as well, Michelin) I've never had one. I've had my bike at the track many times, riden every type of canyon road and never had one since changing tires, change the tires first, it'll help WAY more that the dampener ever will.

[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts