Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've noticed recently than when I turn my bike off I'm not always seeing the R1 logo, instead at random times I'm getting a full white background with a red Yamaha logo in the center.

I've spoken with my dealer and Yamaha Australia and neither of them seems to know what it means or if it's something that should/shouldn't be happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah well I'll have to go have another chat with my dealer about this then.

I haven't noticed any issues with my batter so far and I've used the bike almost daily since picking it up.

Still something I'd like to get seen to if that's the cause though

· Registered
171 Posts
If the bikes sat for a while, the plates are probably sulfated. When these batteries go below 12.5V, silver crystals start to form on the plates and inhibit current flow. Like most bikes with a clock, the R1 will always have a small drain on the battery when shut off and leaving it for months is a problem.

There are three options:

Get a new battery
Get a lithium battery
Get a desulphating charger, which takes some time.

I'm playing with a desulphating right now and have recovered a few car and bike batteries that were hosed, but it takes a long time to bring one back because the electrical pulses have to blast the sulphur back into the sulphuric acid solution where it belongs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Not again!

If the bikes sat for a while, the plates are probably sulfated. When these batteries go below 12.5V, silver crystals start to form on the plates and inhibit current flow. Like most bikes with a clock, the R1 will always have a small drain on the battery when shut off and leaving it for months is a problem.

There are three options:

Get a new battery
Get a lithium battery
Get a desulphating charger, which takes some time.

I'm playing with a desulphating right now and have recovered a few car and bike batteries that were hosed, but it takes a long time to bring one back because the electrical pulses have to blast the sulphur back into the sulphuric acid solution where it belongs.

FUDGE!!!!!!! so i have posted on here a couple of times about my battery being faulty and having to take it to the dealer ship to get it replaced well now it has been a week and my shut down screen is giving me the white maintenance page again. when i put on the new battery last time it got rid of that page and only gave me the black r1 logo upon shut down. not so much anymore. i have road the bike every day this week so the battery should be getting plenty of charge. maybe they gave me a faulty battery again. maybe i should just go out and buy a top level battery from autozone or something. but for tomorrow i will be back at the dealership doing a litle [email protected]#$ING.

· Registered
171 Posts
FUDGE!!!!!!! so i have posted on here a couple of times about my battery being faulty and having to take it to the dealer ship to get it replaced well now it has been a week and my shut down screen is giving me the white maintenance page again. when i put on the new battery last time it got rid of that page and only gave me the black r1 logo upon shut down. not so much anymore. i have road the bike every day this week so the battery should be getting plenty of charge. maybe they gave me a faulty battery again. maybe i should just go out and buy a top level battery from autozone or something. but for tomorrow i will be back at the dealership doing a litle [email protected]#$ING.
Well, if going to Yamaha and asking for a new battery is out of the question, a desulphator isn't out of the question. Provided there is room on top/around the battery, there is a type that connects in parallel with a vehicles electrical system and works off of the battery power itself. These will drain a bike battery in a day or two so you'll want to ride it while this thing is attached, but it will completely recover a car battery in about 3 weeks when they are weak enough to crank slow. A bike like an R1M has specific voltage needs in order for the safety systems to function properly so it will give you error warnings well in advanced of an ABS failure etc.

Go on Amazon ands look for Battery Desulphators, they run $35-40. Might be a pain in the ass, but it would solve your problem. On my standalone Desulphators, I cleaned a completely Sulphated battery out of my GSXR in about a week with it working for 8 hours a day or so, and that had a dead drain on it for 2 years when I parked it and rode my other bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.