Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member, first post.
My gauge lights went out couple nights ago. Headlights work, neutral light, indicator light, oil light all work. speedo and rev counter all good.
Just no lights, was gonna check bulbs, but im sure theres a couple and i cant see them all blowing at same time. Only thing i did any different in last few days was switch headlights off and back on with handlebar switch , dunno if this could have any effect?
Any help?
Also looking for a rear seat and cable/latch and fan switch for rad.
bike is 1998 r1

·
MOnster in my garage
10 Posts
Does the LCD blacklight go off too ???? IF YES then check the headlight sub wire harness... CHECK for damaged wires... The wires your should be looking for are blue wire and a brown wire... These two wires are responsible for lighting up your gauges..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting. My LCD back light has never worked nor has my RPM Gauges back light. Sounds like I've got a little blue and a brown wire problem. :) Gives me something to look for- Beside my other dozen issues. Wonder where the OP disappeared too- or how is 98's doing..

·
MOnster in my garage
10 Posts
Interesting. My LCD back light has never worked nor has my RPM Gauges back light. Sounds like I've got a little blue and a brown wire problem. :) Gives me something to look for- Beside my other dozen issues. Wonder where the OP disappeared too- or how is 98's doing..
It is really hard to determine wiring issues if you haven't bought your bike brand new... And specially the old R1s are a favourite track bike. so owners do all kinds of unprofessional jobs on it. the bike i bought had the same story. I think the main wiring loom was from a suzuki gsxr1000... I am currently buying stuff on ebay to restore to a semi race and road bike.... I think i should start a thread on my project....
BUT i love the oldies R1, riding it is like handling a monster... Unlike the newer ones which are more tamed.

·
Is there anybody out there?
3,993 Posts
Your speedo has a couple of bulbs in it that can burn out. I'd unplug the speedo connector and ohm the bulbs.

Mark

·
R1 4 MAL
380 Posts
The trick when chasing faults is to go for the obvious first. Take off the instruments, take them to pieces and check the bulbs.

If they are ok, then move on down the line.

Don't make the job more complicated than it needs to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts