Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rossi breaks personal lap record!!

On the final day of his first factory test with Yamaha at Sepang Valentino Rossi lapped inside his own lap record and edged to within three tenths of a second of his pole position record set at the 2003 Marlboro Malaysian Grand Prix. Rossi’s best time of 2’02.75 was also unofficially the fastest lap of the circuit by any rider on the M1 machine, with Carlos Checa having set a 2’02.885 to qualify second behind the Italian in October. Checa was second quickest again today with a time of 2’03.72 and both riders are now looking forward to returning to the same circuit for their next test in two weeks’ time.

"We did some good work," said Rossi. "The time we made was good for a first test, but tyres and chassis settings were the main aim here. I've really enjoyed my first three days with Yamaha, I'm very happy. There's still work to do on the engine and we'll carry on with that, but overall things have been good."

Checa has used the test to evaluate front tyres and revealed that he was now seriously considering the switch from a 17 inch to a 16.5. "The bike feels better with the 16.5-inch front tyre,” explained the Spaniard. The race endurance test was not so bad, and this was only the first test of the season. Of course we've got more to do but we have all we need to achieve results."

Rossi’ Crew Chief Jerry Burgess was quietly satisfied with events. "I guess we're doing okay," he said. "We've achieved enough for a fast time and we were running according to the Michelin test programme. Things have been very harmonious in terms of integration with Yamaha and now we'll go away and work on whatever the Yamaha Development Group have got for us."

Across the garage, Checa's Crew Chief Antonio Jimenez was also content with the three days work. "The race simulation distance test provided valuable information for us," he said. "We were focussed on that and this is just the beginning of our programme."

Gauloises Fortuna Yamaha Team Director Davide Brivio was frank about his surprise at the rapid progress made during the test. "I didn't honestly expect we'd be at his level so soon," he said. "All our competitors will work hard this winter too, but this is a good first test to motivate everyone in the team and everyone from Yamaha.

--Marco Melandri continued to ride below full fitness as he struggled to overcome the pain of a recent shoulder operation. "Better than yesterday," said the former 250cc World Champion. "In the end the bike was okay but I took time to adjust to the 16.5-inch front tyre I tried today. At the moment my mind is strong but not my body."

-Norick Abe, meanwhile, couldn't quite make the most of a selection of Michelin tyres that suited his style well. "That was a bit so-so," said the experienced Japanese rider. "We're still not quite there with the settings, but we have not worked together before as a team. Even so I couldn't get the time I felt the tyres were capable of."

Calros Checa – 2’03.72 (88 laps)
Norick Abe - 2’05.05 (52 laps)
Marco Melandri – 2’05.55 (52 laps)
Valentino Rossi – 2’02.75 (59 laps)

·
Left 4 Dead
2,510 Posts
This is good....

Rossi will make Checa an even better rider with his input of how to set up the M1 properly for speed and handling.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ahh yes Honda will soon be Yamahas little b i t c h :boobies

Rossi is a god :eek:wwn3d

And here is one for the guys saying its about the bike not the rider :finger

·
Pops
1,495 Posts
valerossi said:
Rossi is proving himself it's more the rider than the bike! :yesnod

yes i'd say he's def heads above everyone else. lets just hope yamaha has sorted out the front end on the new bike. don't want Rossi wasting his god-like powers just keeping the bike off the ground.

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
aerobahn said:
yes i'd say he's def heads above everyone else. lets just hope yamaha has sorted out the front end on the new bike. don't want Rossi wasting his god-like powers just keeping the bike off the ground.
I think Yamaha has a pretty competitive package, just like Rossi and Burgess said. I think people has been under estimated the M1 before.

:)

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
The M1 was never a BAD bike. They just had sub par riders. Honda always has a knack of recruiting the best talent because of their large payroll.

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that the M1 Rossi is testing has a whole new chassis, and is not the same chassis as the M1's used in the past? If so, the test only proves that Yamaha finally got it right and sorted the problems, coming in with a better chassis. The only way to see what was accomplished would be to get the previous M1 riders on the new bike and see how much improvement (if any) their times are on this new chassis. Then you can really tell if it is the rider and not the chassis. Granted, Rossi is a hell of a rider, but so are a lot of the other MotoGP racers. Otherwise, they wouldn't be at that level.

Checa, Biaggi, Gibernau, and Barros are all fast and have proved to be fast on Yamahas and Hondas. But you have to remember, Rossi was Honda's number 1 rider during the RC211 development, and the factory always designs the bike around their number 1 racer. Everyone else has to live with the results. Rememeber, that was John Kozinski's main complaint with Yamaha back in the early 90's. Yamaha was designing the YZR500 around Wayne Rainey's riding style and it did not match John's style. And John was a dominant racer in 250's for several years, in the U.S. and Europe. And I would venture to say, that is probably why a lot of the racers on RC211's cannot quite catch Rossi, they're attempting to ride bikes designed to Rossi's racing style and not theirs. Give it another year when Honda designs the RC211 around their next number 1 racer, and that person (along with Honda) will dominate MotoGP. It's only a matter of time when the number 1 factory is again number 1.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
nee.dragger said:
Didn't I read somewhere that the M1 Rossi is testing has a whole new chassis, and is not the same chassis as the M1's used in the past? If so, the test only proves that Yamaha finally got it right and sorted the problems, coming in with a better chassis. The only way to see what was accomplished would be to get the previous M1 riders on the new bike and see how much improvement (if any) their times are on this new chassis. Then you can really tell if it is the rider and not the chassis. Granted, Rossi is a hell of a rider, but so are a lot of the other MotoGP racers. Otherwise, they wouldn't be at that level.

Checa, Biaggi, Gibernau, and Barros are all fast and have proved to be fast on Yamahas and Hondas. But you have to remember, Rossi was Honda's number 1 rider during the RC211 development, and the factory always designs the bike around their number 1 racer. Everyone else has to live with the results. Rememeber, that was John Kozinski's main complaint with Yamaha back in the early 90's. Yamaha was designing the YZR500 around Wayne Rainey's riding style and it did not match John's style. And John was a dominant racer in 250's for several years, in the U.S. and Europe. And I would venture to say, that is probably why a lot of the racers on RC211's cannot quite catch Rossi, they're attempting to ride bikes designed to Rossi's racing style and not theirs. Give it another year when Honda designs the RC211 around their next number 1 racer, and that person (along with Honda) will dominate MotoGP. It's only a matter of time when the number 1 factory is again number 1.
Yes it is in fact a new chassis for 04 so credit Yamaha for their committment to get it right and to go out and get the 3 time title winner to swing a leg over it. While its way early in the game it must be said its an impressive start to 04.

BD

·
Left 4 Dead
2,510 Posts
It would have been nice if Yamaha would have signed Colin Edwards last year...

·
Another numpty R1 rider.
36 Posts
its funny how yamaha have a produced a new frame and are developing a new engine, u didnt hear of this last year. It wouldnt happen to be something to do with Vale bringing some of the top honda designers and engineers with him when he switched....

I have even heard honda might be producing a V5.... now i wonder what makes them think they can produce a v5 like honda..... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
nee.dragger said:
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Max Biaggi posted a best lap time of 2:02:58 on the third and final day . . . using Rossi's 2003 race bike. They have yet to test any of the 2004 bikes. It's going to be a great season indeed.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2004/Jan/040122a.htm
Indeed you are correct!:yesnod What Ozzy wanted this thread to show is V Rossi went under his personal best @ Sepang not the actual lap record @ Sepang although thats what it sounds like with the topic heading.:crash

BD

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Indeed you are correct!:yesnod What Ozzy wanted this thread to show is V Rossi went under his personal best @ Sepang not the actual lap record @ Sepang although thats what it sounds like with the topic heading.:crash

BD
Yes, I understand Rossi went under his personal best. But I also wanted to point out that Biaggi also went under Rossi's personal best, on Rossi's old machine. That takes a hell of a rider to best someone else's times on someone else's machine.

Everyone is making such a fuss about Rossi (I like him too, he's good for the sport), but remember, he's not the only superstar in MOTOGP. There are others with the same talents (Biaggi, Roberts, Gibernau, Checa, Edwards, and Hayden) but have not been the #1 rider for the #1 factory in that class. I see racing as a 50/50 proposition. A great rider on inferior equipment can't get anywhere (Roberts as an example, Biaggi also - his machine was a step down from Rossi's), and a superior piece of equipment can't win it all without a rider who can exploit the full capabilities of the machine.

I would like to see the new M1 Yamaha win championships, but if it does, everyone will say it was Rossi's doing alone as a great rider and not the the efforts of the factory to build a superior machine. And of course, if the M1 doesn't win a championship, then the factory will be blamed.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
nee.dragger said:
Yes, I understand Rossi went under his personal best. But I also wanted to point out that Biaggi also went under Rossi's personal best, on Rossi's old machine. That takes a hell of a rider to best someone else's times on someone else's machine.

Everyone is making such a fuss about Rossi (I like him too, he's good for the sport), but remember, he's not the only superstar in MOTOGP. There are others with the same talents (Biaggi, Roberts, Gibernau, Checa, Edwards, and Hayden) but have not been the #1 rider for the #1 factory in that class. I see racing as a 50/50 proposition. A great rider on inferior equipment can't get anywhere (Roberts as an example, Biaggi also - his machine was a step down from Rossi's), and a superior piece of equipment can't win it all without a rider who can exploit the full capabilities of the machine.

I would like to see the new M1 Yamaha win championships, but if it does, everyone will say it was Rossi's doing alone as a great rider and not the the efforts of the factory to build a superior machine. And of course, if the M1 doesn't win a championship, then the factory will be blamed.
Hey i'm with ya 100%!!! Rossi gets the major hype because he has produced/3 time title winner but indeed there are many talents in MotoGP right now that can win on any given sunday.

BD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
aerobahn
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing