Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
nom nom nom nom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with the kit from ddmtuning.com 55w 5,000k HID's...

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

I had previously upgraded all four Headlights (Hi and Lo Beams) to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's. I never took a picture of the stock lighting..which sucked! Also no picture of Both SilverStar Ultra Low Beams together... but you get the idear.

ALL PICTURES ARE JUST LOW BEAMS ONLY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED!

SilverStar Ultra on the Left - HID on the Right

SilverStar Ultra on the Left - HID on the Right

SilverStar Ultra on the Right - HID on the Left

Both HID's against Garage Door

Both HID's against Garage Door (with High Beams On - SilverStar Ultra's)

Head On Shot from 20 feet away...the camera shows glare..with the naked eye there wasn't any whatsoever

Crappy Seat Shot....

I need to get some better shots at night out on the street to show how Rediculously Bright they are... none of my pics show it well. They light up everything!

I am Exceptionally Happy with the Quality of these kits. I also put them in My Headlights and Foglights on both my Acura Integra and Cadillac CTS. The price is unbelievable too! :dollar :fact

Did I mention they have a LIFETIME Warranty? :)

And incase it's asked, the LED's on the sides of the Headlights came from superbrightleds.com. They are the WLED-x6 (size/type 194) minature wedge base bulbs. The color I got was Natural White to match the HID's as close as possible. They're almost perfect!

Here's the exact link to the bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FWLED-x6.htm

·
Wheelie Makin' MoFo
659 Posts
I got the same kit but in 10,000 lol bright as hell!!!! looks good bro!

·
[email protected]
504 Posts
nice i want some but isnt there a lot of extra wire and someone told me there are boxes?? can you post pictures of where you mounted everything or is it hidden? thanks and they look great! :yesnod what do i get
the H1? I dont know what to put for that bulb type?

·
Climbing is life
1,009 Posts
nice i want some but isnt there a lot of extra wire and someone told me there are boxes?? can you post pictures of where you mounted everything or is it hidden? thanks and they look great! :yesnod what do i get
The boxes you speak of are the ballast for the lights and should be fairly small like 4" square and a 1/2-3/4" thick, My buddy had them on his Fireblade and said they fit nice. But the blinded oncoming drivers

·
nom nom nom nom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I mounted everything under the windscreen. You can get slim ballasts..but I just went with the regular size ones. Everything fit perfectly. I will try to get some pictures for you. The only visible wires are what comes out of the back of the headlight housings and run up to the ballasts.

Actually..I think in one of the pics of the front you can see where I have the windscreen removed and the ballast there on the right.

H1? Are these for your R1? If so the bulb is an H7. If you click here... http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits then click on which kit you want...whether it be the regular ballast like I got or the slim ones. Then it gives you 5 drop down boxes for options.

Wattage: 35watt or 55watt
Bulb type.. the R1 uses H7
Bulb Color... I would suggest 5,000k (thats what I have in 55watt)
HID Harness... thats up to you. I chose not to on the bike
Error Code Eliminator... You dont need them for any bike

·
nom nom nom nom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pics of the 55w ddmtuning.com kits in the Headlights and Foglights of the Integra...

Fogs Only

Headlights and Foglights

Fogs Only against Garage Door

Headlights against Garage Door

apparently I didnt take one of the headlights and foglights against the garage door... :/

Again...the glare only looks bad because Im taking pictures with a shitty iPhone 3g. The lights looks a ton better than the pics make them look. The light output on the street is simply amazing compared to stock lighting

·
nom nom nom nom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
[email protected]
504 Posts
just installed my DDM 6K HID lights and the natural white corner lights. they look awsome 10x better and nice and blue
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
[email protected]
504 Posts
left OEM right DDM
[/IMG]

·
Never had a lucky nothin
163 Posts
DDM 55w 5000k HID kit

I upgraded from a Xentec 35w kit to the 55w kit from ddm after reading this review. No regrets. They are both 5000k but the Xentec just looks blue and no where near as bright as the DDM kit. I paid about $60 out the door and it took about 10 days to receive them because they were back ordered. I just barely ordered the corner LEDs from SuperBright because the cheapies from ebay have gone out twice on me already. They were about the same price so shame on me for not looking here first.

·
Destroy what destroys you
367 Posts
I have purchased several kits from DDM Tuning. I purchased a headlight and fog light set for the 2010 Maxima. Straight from the box, one ballast was bad. By the time I figured it to be a bad ballast, I was frozen cold from of course being out in the cold in winter. I ordered a new kit from DDM and sent back the bad ballast. I ordered a new one so I didn't have to wait so long to get a new ballast back and leave the car half finished for too long.
My son purchased a kit from them as well for his GSXR. It would work for a while and then shut off on him after riding. We thought ok it needs a relay harness, so he bought one. I installed it, it worked. He took the bike out the other day and it didn't work. His cousin looked it all over and we couldn't tell what it could be other than a bad ballast. So we got it back to my house, I put in a ballast I had for my truck, since I couldn't use them being they had 2 9007 type bulbs which neither worked on my factory harness....anyway his HID's are good now. My ballast was good and his ballast had been shitting on him since he got it last summer. I returned the bulbs back to DDm for my truck that doesn't work, I still have not received the refund.
All I can say is....you get what you pay for. The next time I look into HID's, it will be from someone else and I'll pay double...it's worth it in the end. I still don't trust the ones I have from DDM, I feel like they will just stop working at any given moment. Cheap shit IMO and experience.

·
nom nom nom nom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am currently running 9 HID kits from DDM (some with harness, some without) and all still work perfectly. 2 of the kits are almost 2 years old

·
What's a motorcycle?
1,104 Posts
After running these 55w kits for a while, are any of you seeing heat becoming an issue with the housings? Are your housings melting or becoming misshapen as a result of the heat?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
21 Participants
unix4linux
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing