Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
The Dovahkiin
1,037 Posts
Quick question: 35w vs 55w. Is it brightness? What makes them different?

And what is the HID harness for?
Yes, 55w will be much brighter, though, 35w are way more than adequate. I have run the 55w on all of my bikes simply because I want to make damn sure people know I am there when riding at night, which I do often.

The HID harness allows the ballasts to be powered directly from the battery rather than through the stock wiring harness. If running the 55w kit, I would definitely opt for the HID harness.

When choosing the bulbs that DDM offers, the 4500k will have the greatest luminance (throw the most light onto the road). They will be white with a small tint of yellow in them. The 5000k and 6000K bulbs are the most popular and go from a more pure white to a white with a tint of blue in them. As you go higher the light goes from blue to purple while also diminishing in light intensity. Down from 4500k goes yellow to orange and also diminish in intensity. I mention this because I've seen too many people assume the higher you go in the kelvin range the more intense the light output. Nope.

·
'16 60th Anniversary "Pikachu"
914 Posts
194 LED bulb 5K white from V-LEDS and my 4500K 35w HID from DDMTuning on the left side and stock OEM halogens on the right.

Both installed and lit at night.

I didn't go with 5000K or 6000K because I hate anything that has a hint of blue in my lighting's. I even hate the blue LED license plate light on my rear... (came with the bike like that when I got it) switching that out soon.

Dara

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bought and installed a set of the Supre Bright LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com, they are awesome..easy install too..

Need some help though, I bought the 35w H7 5000k kit, H7 Spacers (wasn't sure if I needed them but bought them anyway) and the mounting brackets for the 35w ballasts (again, wasn't sure if I needed it but bought them anyway)...What did you guys use for an installation guide? The installation guide I found on DDMs website seems to be written for a vehicle (like a BMW) install...any guidance on a better installation guide for a newb?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but this kit seems to only swap out the low beam bulb correct? The hi beam bulb, what did you all do about that?

·
R1smithing 247
32 Posts
I did the 55w 5k for my 06. They swap out the low beams and the install guide I used was the one for the car. It is easy to see what they are talking about when installing on the bike.

On another note. Is anyone else having an issue with the ballast getting hot or putting off a smell of burnt popcorn? I'm thinking of adding a tripage delay so the battery isn't pulling so many amps at start up or a toggle switch to manually turn the light on or off at will.....any thoughts?

·
'16 60th Anniversary "Pikachu"
914 Posts
Also, sorry for the dumb question, but this kit seems to only swap out the low beam bulb correct? The hi beam bulb, what did you all do about that?
What year R1 do you have? I was wondering about this myself, but for my 09 I guess there's a mechanism inside that blips the projectors up a bit to make it high beam while using the low beam bulbs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bought and installed a set of the Supre Bright LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com, they are awesome..easy install too..

Need some help though, I bought the 35w H7 5000k kit, H7 Spacers (wasn't sure if I needed them but bought them anyway) and the mounting brackets for the 35w ballasts (again, wasn't sure if I needed it but bought them anyway)...What did you guys use for an installation guide? The installation guide I found on DDMs website seems to be written for a vehicle (like a BMW) install...any guidance on a better installation guide for a newb?

x2...i hate anything that deals with wiring, but am wanting to install hid's! and do i just shove all of the ballast and wiring under/behind the windscreen?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
x2...i hate anything that deals with wiring, but am wanting to install hid's! and do i just shove all of the ballast and wiring under/behind the windscreen?
Yes, There is lots of room behind the windscreen. Buy the DDM 35 watt kit with nothing else(no spacers or brackets). You will be scared at first with all the wires from the hids but it is straight plug and play. Hardest part is drilling the 1" hole and on a scale of 1-10 its a 1. Best $40 i spent yet

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, There is lots of room behind the windscreen. Buy the DDM 35 watt kit with nothing else(no spacers or brackets). You will be scared at first with all the wires from the hids but it is straight plug and play. Hardest part is drilling the 1" hole and on a scale of 1-10 its a 1. Best $40 i spent yet
is there enough room for 2 kits so i can have the highs and lows? and is there a reason i should by the 35w over the 55w?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
is there enough room for 2 kits so i can have the highs and lows? and is there a reason i should by the 35w over the 55w?
Mines an 09 and it looks like you got the 04-06 gen. In mine it would be probably too tight to fit 4 ballasts and the wires in there. Forget the high beam because you will most likely never use it and with the hid you're not supposed to be turning it on and off quickly(i read its bad for the bulb to be turning it on and off and thats what youd be doing with highbeams for oncoming cars)

The 35 doesn't require any wiring to the battery where as the 55 sometimes does. ive also read that the 55 watt sometimes doesnt turn on right away because of voltage issues on initial start up. 35 watt is what i have and more than happy with it.

Disclaimer: i'm no HID expert and all my info is from reading other reviews and my personal install with the 35 watt kit

·
R1der
4,014 Posts
i would get 35w in the lows only because 35w are safer on the stock wiring.

i have 55w kit on my 06 but i am running a relay harness.

also space wise, you might have enough space for 2 kits (other members have done it)

but i wouldnt get hids in high beam because when you want to flash somebody, they will not give enough power in that 1 second to make any real output.

·
In front of a gixxer
761 Posts
feed back on HID and part number for LED bulbs

On their website they have three to choose from each ends in a different model # one ends in CAR the other ends in RVB and the last one ends in LAN not for sure which one for my 2005 R1. Also how are your lights holding up looking to get rid of my stock bulbs. You said you went with the 55watt did you get the harness to go directly to the battery? Did you put a switch so you turn them on after your bike is started? I think the toughest decision is choosing the 35watt or 55watt looks like the 55watt is more work seeing it's best to use the harness to go directly to the battery. Did anybody else use a switch when installing the 55watts or did they work fine using the harness going directly to the battery? Thanks for any feed back you guys might have
I went with the kit from ddmtuning.com 55w 5,000k HID's...

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

I had previously upgraded all four Headlights (Hi and Lo Beams) to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's. I never took a picture of the stock lighting..which sucked! Also no picture of Both SilverStar Ultra Low Beams together... but you get the idear.

ALL PICTURES ARE JUST LOW BEAMS ONLY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED!

SilverStar Ultra on the Left - HID on the Right

SilverStar Ultra on the Left - HID on the Right

SilverStar Ultra on the Right - HID on the Left

Both HID's against Garage Door

Both HID's against Garage Door (with High Beams On - SilverStar Ultra's)

Head On Shot from 20 feet away...the camera shows glare..with the naked eye there wasn't any whatsoever

Crappy Seat Shot....

I need to get some better shots at night out on the street to show how Rediculously Bright they are... none of my pics show it well. They light up everything!

I am Exceptionally Happy with the Quality of these kits. I also put them in My Headlights and Foglights on both my Acura Integra and Cadillac CTS. The price is unbelievable too! :dollar :fact

Did I mention they have a LIFETIME Warranty? :)

And incase it's asked, the LED's on the sides of the Headlights came from superbrightleds.com. They are the WLED-x6 (size/type 194) minature wedge base bulbs. The color I got was Natural White to match the HID's as close as possible. They're almost perfect!

Here's the exact link to the bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/WLED-x6.htm

·
In front of a gixxer
761 Posts
DDM has 3 different HID kits which kit is everyone using?

·
The Dovahkiin
1,037 Posts
On their website they have three to choose from each ends in a different model # one ends in CAR the other ends in RVB and the last one ends in LAN not for sure which one for my 2005 R1. Also how are your lights holding up looking to get rid of my stock bulbs. You said you went with the 55watt did you get the harness to go directly to the battery? Did you put a switch so you turn them on after your bike is started? I think the toughest decision is choosing the 35watt or 55watt looks like the 55watt is more work seeing it's best to use the harness to go directly to the battery. Did anybody else use a switch when installing the 55watts or did they work fine using the harness going directly to the battery? Thanks for any feed back you guys might have
No switch is necessary with the harness. The lights will come on as they should normally. It's plug and play and couldn't be easier, so there is no need to worry about any extra work. You just need to find the best way to route the wires from the nose to the battery. I wanted them to be damn near invisible, so took a little more time with that bit of the install.

If looking to go with a 55w kit, get the standard DDM kit with the smaller ballasts (black). They are much easier to tuck away. Your '05 takes an H7 bulb.

·
In front of a gixxer
761 Posts
No switch is necessary with the harness. The lights will come on as they should normally. It's plug and play and couldn't be easier, so there is no need to worry about any extra work. You just need to find the best way to route the wires from the nose to the battery. I wanted them to be damn near invisible, so took a little more time with that bit of the install.

If looking to go with a 55w kit, get the standard DDM kit with the smaller ballasts (black). They are much easier to tuck away. Your '05 takes an H7 bulb.

What bulb color did you go with I want the look of the Mercedes and Lexus

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quick question: 35w vs 55w. Is it brightness? What makes them different?

And what is the HID harness for?
Do some research on youtube. They show the difference. 55w is brighter and makes your bulbs whiter than 35w. So, a 5k 35w looks similar to a 6k 55w, except the 55w is brighter. I put 5000k 55w and they're pretty white with a tiny hint of blue. 4300k is the brightest and whitest. If you go higher, you'll be adding more color (blue -> purple). Lower will be yellow.

Relay harnesses protect against shorts and gives more consistent power to your ballasts. I HIGHLY recommend this for bikes. The charging system in bikes are not the same as cars. I put HID's on my old 2000 R6 without a relay and after a couple months I got a shortage somewhere. Long story short, my lights kept turning off and on, and when I took the HID's off and put the standard bulbs, the lights would dim significantly. I took my bike to several shops to solve the issue and they said it'd cost more than the bike was worth to find the short and fix it. Had I put a relay harness, it would have prevented this. I got my relay harness from a local shop here in SD, but you want to get one with strong relays. DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

·
In front of a gixxer
761 Posts
Which harness do I need with the 55watt kit

Single relay/ dual in dual out $9.99

Dual relay/ dual in dual out $14.99

Premium dual/ relay dual in dual out $19.99

I take it I don't need the error eliminator or the adapter cables.

Does anybody know which LED bulb of these 3 fit the 2005 R1
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/wled-x6/

·
In front of a gixxer
761 Posts
55w ballast equal more heat.
Has there been a lot of heat issues with the 55watt? I sure like the photo of how bright the 55watt kit is it would be nice to see 2 bikes side by side one with a 55 the other with a 35

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
21 Participants
unix4linux
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing