Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I am having some trouble with my 07 R1 Raven that i just bought not too long ago. At idle it kills cylinders.i know this because i felt the exhaust headers and the 3rd pipe from the left was cold. As best I can tell it has a lot of trouble getting off the line, its only pushing with 3 cylinders because 1 is not getting spark. Once it gets past 4 grand in first gear all the cylinders start firing. one time it wouldn't fire the cylinder at all on a ride because it wouldn't get past 110 on the highway. in addition it runs obnoxiously rich no matter what speed I'm going.The first thing i tried was adjusting the throttle bodies because i thought it was a low idle problem, that did nothing. For a while I put seafoam in the tank and that seemed to help for a little bit but the problem persisted. After that I replaced the spark plugs to see if that would help, again nothing, 3rd cylinder was still not firing. Ripped out the injectors, opened them with a 9 volt and shot pressurized brake cleaner through them, no blockages or bad flow. I thought for sure that it was the coil because I switched coil 3 and 4 and it killed the 4th cylinder at idle, replaced that coil and for whatever reason the leftmost cylinder was killed now. I have never touched that cylinder. as best I can tell I have to look further up the wiring harness now. I'm looking for new ideas or a smoking gun or anything I can get. please help. I'm getting pretty far out of my depth here.

·
R1.. The fast kind
985 Posts
is it common for multiple coils to go out at the same time?
In propper faultfinding you don't assume to much.
Sure, sometimes "qualified guesses" actually work but what work in the long run is testing and meassuring :)

If you have good hearing there's a really smart function in the diagnostic system that let you select a specific ign coil or injector and when triggered the system will send a cycle of five pulses to the selected component.

If you'r in a quiet enviroment you should be able to hear the spark or injector click (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Simply swap the suspect coil to a different cylinder and see if the problem follows the coil,if you put that coil in the #1 cylinder and the #1 cylinder doesn't fire you've found the problem.
Ooops my bad you've already done that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts