Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The R1 bows to no one!!!
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some insite on the best and easy way to remove the decals on the my 06 R1. had a bitch of a time when I did this on my old bike so I would like to make this time less stressfull

·
The R1 bows to no one!!!
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hair dryer works great to get everything warmed up and I've had the most luck with fingernail polish remover to get rid of any remaining adhesive.
I'll use the hair dryer again and try fingernail polish remover this time. Goo-gone desided to be a dick last time. I did find out that a tiny bit of gas will take the adhesive off wicked fast!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Blow dryer is a must....although you have to be careful not to over heat the area or the decals get too soft and will break when you try to pull it off. Decals will also break into little pieces if they are too cold. As for the left overs, I have a can of spray on adhesive remover made by 3M that is paint friendly. Picked it up at autozone a while back. After you get rid of all the goo, hit it with some meguiars quick detail and diaper rags. This will give it a really nice shine.

·
R is for Respect
49 Posts
Wow ---- Fingernail polish remover would scare me....I've seen it remove clear-coats before....

I pulled the decals off with a heat gun....then with what was left, I soaked with clear-coat safe bug remover.... then took my time with the heat gun and my finger to smoothly rub off the remaining residue. If you use too harsh of a chemical or rub it hard with a rag - you'll either scratch it or make a ton of swirls in your paint.

Mine's the naked one, and then another members decal removal at the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.