Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the end of another great track season. Thankfully the financial gods have been favorable this year, despite the covid bullshit, and I was able to hit a record number of track days this year.
The more I ride at the track, the more I get hooked. I am very tempted to get my license and possibly do a CCS race or two next year.
That being said, I've come to the crossroads with the bike. Shes an 05 that I've had for 10 years now. I love her, but I'm looking at putting another $10k into a $5k bike to make her into a real track day queen. My dilemma is do I want to keep putting money into this bike or buy something newer (18 or newer) and build that into a track bike? On one hand, I pride myself on riding an old school bike. But lazy me wants to try out all the fancy tech on the newer bikes. Hmmmmmm????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Depending on how good this year was it may be worth considering this little jewel.

Buying a machine that has already been prepped save time and time is money. Just safety wiring a bike can be a headache. Then again a race machine will need to be torn down fairly routinely so you can inspect and evaluate the machines overall condition and check parts for abnormal wear and lubrication. The whole ordeal isn't for the faint of heart. Another option is to buy a bike and bin it. Don't have to maintain a yard sale and there's always another new bike for sale somewhere.

In the end you need to balance your budget, your ability and your mechanical prowess.

Just my .02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha. I saw that. Its tempting, but more than I'm willing to invest at this point. I'm going to be buying a bike for my son and a bigger trailer, so me thinks the wife isn't going to like me spending $56k up front. If I spend in smaller batches, it's harder to get caught. Lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Look for an 06 sp or le? You're already familiar with the genesis platform and they have good suspension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a good one for all Yamaha R1 fans// don’t get suckered in like I did, friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge Louisiana said the salesman Nick he said he could order my 2021 R1 so I gave him a $500 dollar deposit nine days ago found out yesterday late afternoon from another dealer that you cannot order them until the month of October so Nick from Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge the salesman sent me an email nine days ago saying my bike was ordered, so he lied to me and I am going to see about getting my deposit back , He did it just to make a sale because the bike is not ordered

·
Registered
17 Posts
I prefer analog riding ........ I would stay with what u got . There was a suter in America for sale a little while ago . That has stroker and old school riding ticked off That would be my choice

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dude, have you seen that video of wayne gardner reacting to the suter? It's hilarious. Like you, I would absolutely love to have one in the stable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts