Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I don't ride fast, I fly low!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I?m riding a 07 R-1 that is stock except for the lowering kit which I have no info on. It was the lowest they could get and installed by dealer. The front was lowered to match. I don?t race or trick with mine, so the suspension settings I?m looking for are on the smoother side. Although I?m considering going out to the road course at Moroso just for fun. I have read many settings info (One included below from Jeffrey De Vries) but I have yet to see some explanation of what affects some of these settings cause. My particular problem is that when hitting little imperfections in the road it reacts like I have big flat spots in the front tire. You can easily see it in the headlight beam bouncing up and down. So I would think that adjusting the rebound softer would solve it. I have not tried as of yet, but I know that descriptions don?t always represent their actions. So maybe a softer compression with faster rebound might be the answer. Anyway if someone out there could explain what will happen if? I would be grateful. I weight 185 and this problem was present before the lowering kit. Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading through this forum. Here are the settings I found for anyone interested. I?m not using them or even tried them. I think they are more race oriented. Sorry but I can't remember where I got this from.
Doug

2007 R1 TRACK SETTINGS
From Yamaha test rider Jeffrey De Vries.

All settings from fully in (except preload)
Standard settings in brackets

Front

Rebound 8 clicks (10)
Preload 5 rings showing (6)
Compression 8 clicks (10)

Rear

Low speed compression 1 click (12)
High speed compression 3 turns (3)
Preload 6 notch (5)
Rebound 11 clicks (12)

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That article explains a lot. I had thought that after the lowering job that she wanted to turn in a lot faster than before. Raising the frontend back up will likely fix that. Lots of info... much to do. I will post my progress as it comes along. Thanks again for showing me that link.

·
R1
328 Posts
take your time with it and you will end up enjoying the R1 a whole lot more.
Just take care in changing your suspension as some changes will have a direct effect on your braking and cornering and you don't want to find out the hard way that things are not right.

be safe :)

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok the settings were off, that is off from factory recomended. So I set them back, and have tweeked them from there. Great improvement. One ajustment a day seems to be the way to go. Now all I have to do is finish the break in and she shall be good to fly! Does anyone find it funny that you can ajust shift times, dimmness, play with the stopwatch and check intake temp, but the thing dont have a fuel gauge.... Ha,, has anyone found out how long they go from the time the trip meter for low fuel starts?

·
R1
328 Posts
Good to see you are having some success with your suspension.

as for your fuel usage...

how long is a piece of string !
it can vary between 124 miles with alot of city putt..putt 1st 2nd gear stuff before you are bone dry ( reserve kicks in about 100 miles)
and about 180 miles on the open road( reserve kicks in about 155 miles)

that's just a rough conversion we work in km down here

i am down here in the land of OZ .. so our fuel is different and our bikes are euro spec there is a thread kicking around that deals with fuel usage for the 07 R1 that may have some more info in it.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202998&highlight=fuel+usage

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I'm getting 130 to 150 before it kicks in. Book states .75Gal res. Thats not to far before your pushing... This time I pushed the damn reset before I comprehended the reading. The tank wasnt topped off right and I had some time in the throttle so the #'s would have been wrong anyway. In the long run I think I will just top off at 125 miles...
Out of interest what RPM do you set your shift light. I know she is designed to operate at the high end but as a mech... I hate to hear something scream like that. I have mine set low at 7 but I'm still breaking her in... I've only seen it come on a handfull of times.

As for the suspension, I'm moving in the harder side ... It's better but still bounces a bit with the small road dips. or imperfections. With my Shadow, I would never know they were there. I'm starting to think that It's just the nature of the beast.
Thanks for talking... You Ausies are good people... as I know a good bunch of you from other places.

·
R1
328 Posts
ok... i am not sure how we got from suspension - to fuel and now shift rpm

???
7000rpm is good for the first part of the break-in
9000rpm is good for the second part of the break-in

after your break-in period depending on where you are riding the R1
8000 - 12000rpm open highway

around town you may not even hit 7000 rpm very often

i like to keep the minimum shift rpm at about 5500rpm

as for your suspension
what is your tire pressure front and back ?
how much do you weigh ?
how tall are you ?
are you riding in the correct manner ie balls of your feet ** don't take offence ** alot of people can get lazy about the way the sit on a bike and or have limited time on a sports bike.
your suspension can only work if you are doing the right thing in the way you ride the bike and account for your weight.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susp to fuel,,, what the hey.. I started it and you and I are the only ones typing... Talk about whatever now.. I dont care. It still answers the Sus question. You did that in the second post.
Front 36
Rear 42
I weigh 190 wet 5'9"
Basically just easy riding. She handles good in the corners... It's just the little bumps you cant see during normal straight cruising at say 60mph that is the irritating part.
Here in Florida there is no hills and your hard pressed to find some nice turns... So it is pretty lazy riding for me.

·
R1
328 Posts
I think you have too much air pressure in the front tire
i would run 30psi during summer and 32psi as the weather gets colder
as for the rear i would run 38psi during summer and 40psi in the colder weather.
i am about the same height and weight

set the pre-load rear to 7
set the pre-load front to 6 rings showing

pre-load is the most important thing to get right first.
if you sit on the bike and it sinks under your weight you will no suspension travel left.
should be about 30mm or just over 1 inch
to find the amount of sag you would have to get both wheels of the ground using a centre stand so there is no weight on the suspension.

then measure the distance from a point on the swing arm to a point on the bike straight above it.
then put the bike on the ground
take the same measurement ( static sag)
then sit on the bike and take the same measurement ( rider sag)

i have given you the pre-load settings because we are both about the same height and weight.

so try those pre-load settings and tire pressure you may find that improves things :)

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I will give them a shot. I just bought the center stand yesturday.... Basically had them at factory... current as of last night was 4 front and rear... I'll get back to you later tonight. holiday here... so no riding for a good 7 hours... still. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.