Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a Dell laptop online right now but I have a quick question. Do you recommend I buy a warranty/technical support package? I know that traditionally I should say no but in this case I'm not so sure. It is 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support for $29. It's only $29 but if the laptop will be covered within the first year anyway, there is no sense in me paying for it. Please let me know what I should do. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
I'm not familiar with Dell's warranty services. Best I can suggest is to read the fine print as to what is included with the system you're going to buy, then read the fine print for the warranty.

Personally, $29 isn't very much at all. If it's in addition to the warranty it comes with, then it's not a bad idea. However, keep in mind that some warranties don't cover specific repairs.

·
`F#$king Sweet!`
267 Posts
fjorn said:
I'm not familiar with Dell's warranty services. Best I can suggest is to read the fine print as to what is included with the system you're going to buy, then read the fine print for the warranty.

Personally, $29 isn't very much at all. If it's in addition to the warranty it comes with, then it's not a bad idea. However, keep in mind that some warranties don't cover specific repairs.
:iamwithst

after 8 years in retail i've come to the fact that about 80% of warranties are sh*t. Check the fine print and see if you can get any thing extra like a battery in the term of the warrenty or anything like that. If not I wouldn't waste my time.

·
Try to pass me
232 Posts
I am a Dell certified technician as well as many other certifications like microsoft, compaq,etc. Dell warranty and and tech support is the best out there. They are no bull. If you use their phone support and they determine a part is bad, either they overnight the part or send a technician to your house depending on what level of support you get. I personally never buy extended warranty on anything but, I bought my mother inlaw a new dell this spring and I bought a high level of support for her because I know they will take care of her. I am a Senior PC/Network technician at Texas tech College and we have all Dell's and Mac's and we have Dell warranty and technical support on all our PC's. That should say something about them. You should do it. Having peace of mind is very nice to have especially with PC's. Just my 2 cents. Later

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
kneedraggingguy said:
I am a Senior PC/Network technician at Texas tech College and we have all Dell's and Mac's and we have Dell warranty and technical support on all our PC's. That should say something about them. You should do it.
Just because a college/university has all one or two brands doesn't mean that they are the best out there. There's many different vendors, and many are so close together that it's almost transparent between a vast majority of them.

What it all boils down to is name recognition, budgeting, and whether or not the salesman did a reach around to make the buyer get that warm and fuzzy feeling. :lol :lol

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,667 Posts
I owned a Dell PC once. Then I had warranty issues. Dell jerked me around and was no help at all. If I get garbage support I'm just going to build my own PC and deal with individual component warranties which is exacktly what I did the next time around. Screw Dell and their award winning service....It's bullshit.

:beer

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
I've got over 30 Dell's of my own.......

no problems

and yes, i've dealt with customer service exactly twice, and both times i explained the problem, what i did to confirm the bad aprtm and without any drama, i either received the replacement part overnight, or a tech from the local area came and replaced it. MY CHOICE.

I have NOTHING bad to say about them.

I'd also watch the deal sites before buying the computer, you might get something coming up after thanksgiving on www.slickdeals.net or www.techdeals.net

Black Friday is a wonderful thing...

:thumbup

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
I deal with Dell pc's on a daily basis. We have about 300 users in all, and range from the GX240 to the new GX520. We have the usual issues, powers supplies, occasional bad ram, stuff like that, but overall we are pleased with our Dell pc's. Tech support has been easy to deal with on most every occasion.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Im a Dell Certified Tech... I work for Unisys and handle their Next Day account. I have to say that i'm pretty impressed with their customer support. Customers are usually pretty happy too. I would say it's worth it. I have a few dell systems and have never had any problems... What system are you looking at???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts