Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Snow's Gone>Ride On
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and still didn't find my answer, so sorry if the answer to this one is old news to some of you.

Nice day today so i went out to fire up the bike. i've had my battery on a tender for months in the house. i rode on new years eve, then started the bike just to keep everything moving in about mid january. no problems. i went out today and threw the battery in fresh off the tender and the bike didn't want to start. it turned over very slowly and it sounded as if something wanted to short (like a click/snap) it sounded as if the battery were weak, but that can't be. my buddy had his bike stored here and didn't have his battery so we threw mine in his bike and it turned over just fine, however it didn't start and subsequently flooded (i'll need help on this one later)

so i think that the battery has enough juice, but why did my R1 turn over so slowly and not want to start.

again, i didn't do anything to winterize the bike. i never have and have never had trouble in the past. what should i do?

thanks, Mike

by the way, the bike is fuel injected. it's a 2002 R1 that i bought this past september (yes, a leftover) off the sales floor. it has 1,788 miles. it is stored in an unheated garage and i live in harrisburg, pa where the winter was as cold as 0 this winter.:dunno

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally, I would try and hook up your buddy's battery and see if that works. Is it possible when you had it on the tendor that it was not connected correctly??

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Things are too cold...I"ve said it before,let the beast sleep through winter...dont start it un-necessarily...it can just do bad things.

...and winterize your bike from now on!

Its possible that the engine may be frozen somewhat at the clutch,making things hard to move in there...next time you attempt to start it,unplug the front lights...that will help.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
martinc said:
Things are too cold...I"ve said it before,let the beast sleep through winter...dont start it un-necessarily...it can just do bad things.

...and winterize your bike from now on!

Its possible that the engine may be frozen somewhat at the clutch,making things hard to move in there...next time you attempt to start it,unplug the front lights...that will help.
Trust me I know he is right from personal experience:iamwithst

·
Snow's Gone>Ride On
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MotoFanatic,
Like i said, i put my battery in my buddies bike and it turned his over just fine. they were both stored the same way. his is a 2000 ZX-6R. I'm thinking that if the battery turned his over easily, then the battery should be ok. the battery was fine when i put it on the tender. i'm gonna try to unhook the headlights today and give it a whirl.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts