Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Something that caught my attention about the speedometer of the motorcycle is that comparing it with the gopro's GPS and the pirelli app, there is a lot of difference between what the speedometer reports and what you see on the gopro & pirelli app. Did anyone else notice? there is almost 20kms of difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently bought an ‘05 R1, and the speedo does “feel” further off than I’m used to. If I had to guess I’d say close to 10% fast. What are thoughts on the SpeedoDRD vs the Speedo Healer? I was planning on picking up a Speedo Healer, but clicked the link to the DRD and it seems like a good value, but less refined.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
DRD costs less, is a lot smaller and easier to use.

·
Registered
143 Posts
something I've never been able to figure out. we have a few roadside speed signs that show you your speed. I assume it's radar. it reads exactly what my speedo always says. on both of my bikes and in my truck. however a gps is always different. so I don't know if a gps is really reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
something I've never been able to figure out. we have a few roadside speed signs that show you your speed. I assume it's radar. it reads exactly what my speedo always says. on both of my bikes and in my truck. however a gps is always different. so I don't know if a gps is really reliable.
With a clear view of the sky, GPS speed has shown to be more accurate than most vehicle speedometers. Your vehicle speedometer accuracy can vary based on several factors, most notably differences in wheel size due to wear, pressure, and temperature. As Richard Langley, professor of geodesy and precision navigation at the University of New Brunswick, said, GPS isn't perfect, but it's a lot more accurate than a vehicle speedometer. GPS accuracy, however, may vary slightly as the vehicle travels from regions with a good view of the sky to those without. Heavily tree-lined streets and urban canyons are the biggest culprits when it comes to GPS inaccuracy, in addition to tunnels and covered parking lots.

·
Venom X/O
24,460 Posts
The bike is more accurate at slow speeds. Higher speeds is when it gets less accurate. I have a few of those signs around as well at at about 35mph my bike used to read around 39-40. So there’s that

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the same healer have Kevap recommended and did my own test before I install it. Results are below.
GPS-50mph
Speedo-57mph

GPS-60mph
Speedo-69mph

GPS-70mph
Speedo-83mph

·
751 Posts
imo, big time lag for any product using gps, on this day, going by memory because haven't been near 189 lately, on the speedo i got past 180 but it still recorded close to it with a '178'. my experience is i'm not able to hold or maintain the top speed long enough for gps to CALCULATE and send the signal of the highest speed

pp1.png

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
647 Posts
My. GPS will show 55mph when my speedo says 60mph. But rear tyre size is 190/50 instead of the stock 190/55.

My lifted 4x4 has 35x12.5x20. No speedo healer and GPS says 60mph, speedometer 55mph.

Hope this helps.

·
ROWDY
12,180 Posts
I recently bought an ‘05 R1, and the speedo does “feel” further off than I’m used to. If I had to guess I’d say close to 10% fast. What are thoughts on the SpeedoDRD vs the Speedo Healer? I was planning on picking up a Speedo Healer, but clicked the link to the DRD and it seems like a good value, but less refined.
Thanks!
I like mine. and I like the top speed recall function on it. You just have to remember to hit the erase button before the cop reads it LOL

·
2002 Red R1
3 Posts
Every Yamaha I’ve ever owned has been like that. I use a SpeedoDRD to fix it, especially after gearing changes
2nd. That. I have a Speedo DR on my 2002 R1. Works like a charm. I jerry rigged a mount for an old iPhone and used the GPS to calibrate the Speedo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts