Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

been a lurker for a long while, and firstly, I'd like to say a huge THANK YOU for all the great info I've got from this forum. I'm truly the epitome of 'use the search bar buddy'.

In a nutshell, I've got a 2001 R1 with 78,000 miles on it. Surprisingly, it's still got a lot of feist left. (I've got a 2012 R1 with 11,000 miles as well, so I do have something new and fresh to compare it to, and the old 2001 still brings a grin to my face.)

Anyway, I knew the numbers didn't match (engine & chassis) however, I was expecting a 00-01 engine in there. Turns out, it's actually a legitimate 4XV motor (98-99)

I know Yamaha made around 150 changes to the 5JJ motor vs the 4XV, does anyone know what the result was? does the 00-01 motor have more torque, or is the 98-99 the torque beast?

I'm trying to figure out whether I rebuild the motor in there, or, grab a 5JJ and rebuild that. I've googled and can't find any clear description on what sort of meaningful improvements resulted for the 5JJ motor versus the 4XV, and there's not a great deal I've been able to find on this forum using google.

Is there any reason why I should go back to running a 5JJ motor?

· Is there anybody out there?
4,469 Posts
About the only difference, I believe, is 1st gear is a little shorter on the 98-99. 2.6 ratio on the 98-99 and 2.5 on the 00-01. Front wheel is going to come up just a tad easier on the 98-99. I'd keep it! Is there any reason to rebuild? Is it burning oil? I just sold my 99, with 56,000 miles and it only burned about 8 oz. over 5,000 miles. No change in oil consumption in the 10 years I had it and that was running Rotella T6. Kinda puts a stamp of approval on T6 I'd say! If you're not burning any oil and compression looks good, I'd just go with it til something changes.

Mark

ps I also think there were some minor jetting tweeks but nothing major. I kinda miss my 99 but thoroughly enjoy my 00!

· Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rotella T6 is fantastic.

Now that you mention it, I'm using barely any oil at all. I did an oil change almost 3 months ago and the oil level is fine. I think I've done around 1,200 kilometres on it since the change, it should be showing some usage. It might have used 100ml at most.

Also, I'm now becoming less convinced my engine is a genuine 4XV. There's 4XV stamped all over the casings, but... as pointed out in this thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-331566.html the fact it has the AIS system installed suggests it's a genuine 5JJ motor.

The 2000 R1 I rode around Europe on 2 years ago had 5JJ stamped all over it. Given my bike is a 2001, I assumed at least some of the bits would have 5JJ stamped on them but so far... all 4XV. I thought it likely it was from a 98-99.

The main reason I was thinking of doing a rebuild is due to power delivery issues. It's soggy at takeoff and lacking torque down low. When I roll on the throttle at idle it hesitates and stutters, and then once it gets revving a bit it will surge. I seem to have very little torque with which to take off from lights with. I'd like to get that torque back so I can get off the mark without doing the revving jiggery-pokery.

But, once you get it moving, it's a different story. It'll lift. It loves to throw it's nose in the air like it just don't care (that's why I love it so!) and it'll do it any chance it gets. This morning's commute was nothing but flamboyant madness - yellow light? Wheelie. gap between cars? Wheelie. Left turn from traffic lights? What's that in the air? Why, my front wheel *mock surprise*

The battered, thrashed, worn out 2000 model I rode round Europe had a bit better takeoff than this one. It had done 48,000 miles, by the time I got it back to Ireland I'd put around 18,000 miles on it.

Carbs have been pulled off and cleaned a few months ago when I bought it. I'm getting a fair bit of popping on deceleration though, so maybe I need to have a look at the mixtures.

Edit: Also, it does have a full Hindle exhaust, so perhaps that's part of the missing low end. The bike I rode around Europe had the stock exhaust with EXUP, with an Akrapovic system. The EXUP does make a difference to low end torque I'm told.

· Is there anybody out there?
4,469 Posts
I'd say you're spot on about the full system. I've tried full systems on my 99 and 00 R1 and after fiddling with both of them for a week, went back to stock headers(with EXUP) and a slip on and couldn't be happier! I know it's a bit of a pain but I would suggest you keep your eye on ebay and load up on stock header(with EXUP), EXUP motor and cables and a good slip on. Once you have everything, sell your Hindle. Either that or be happy with what you have cause you're not going to be able to tune out the missing low end. Also, if you're only burning 100mL/1200k, I'd say you're motor is just fine.

Mark

· Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say you're spot on about the full system. I've tried full systems on my 99 and 00 R1 and after fiddling with both of them for a week, went back to stock headers(with EXUP) and a slip on and couldn't be happier! I know it's a bit of a pain but I would suggest you keep your eye on ebay and load up on stock header(with EXUP), EXUP motor and cables and a good slip on. Once you have everything, sell your Hindle. Either that or be happy with what you have cause you're not going to be able to tune out the missing low end. Also, if you're only burning 100mL/1200k, I'd say you're motor is just fine.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I think you might be right about the exhaust. Interestingly enough, I have an Akrapovic slip-on kit for this R1 sitting on the shelf. I was tossing up going back to the stock exhaust with EXUP. Given you've already done the experiment, I've a great deal more confidence going back is going to be an improvement.

I've managed to find a used standard header for $150, servo motor + cables $89, it's a cheap enough 'upgrade' :)

what's your opinion on heat-wrapping headers?

Cheers,
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.