Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Damn, that hurts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the group, so please don't flame me too much as I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed! I am abandoning my long standing relationship with Honda to join the ranks of the 20valved tuning fork owners. My 2000 929 became a trunk ornament for a woman who turned left in front of me and the CBR1000 will likely be unobtainable for at least six more months and even then, it just barely comapres to the 03 R1's numbers. I am looking at either a 2002 or 2003 R1 and am quite partial to the liquid silver scheme, though the black/flame version is nice too.

Were those color schemes available for the 2002 model?

Were there any significant changes between the 02 and 03 model years?

Any recalls that I should look for?

Any opinions on specific problems for these model years I should look for in candidate bikes?

Which color is faster? LOL

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Paul,
the 02 and 03 are exactly the same except for color schemes the Black with red flames was only available in 03. CBR1k barely compares to 03 R1's numbers? You better look again. The CBR1k will most likely be much faster and more powerful than an 02-03 R1. if you truly want an 02 or 03 R1 they are to be had quite cheap around here lately so go ahead and pick one up but if I were planning on spending that kind of money I would do some more research. Good luck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome Paul:hellobye

My 2003 Black (with Red flames) is the fastest. What happens is, Yamaha tests all the bikes before they ship them out. Before they ship them out the reset the odometers back to zero. Well, after the tests all the black 2003's magically have flames burned into them because they are so fast. :lol

·
R1
428 Posts
1. The liquid silver was available in 2002 but the black is only for 2003.

2. I don't think there where any changes from the 02 to 03 except for the colors. If any on else know please add..

3. Don't know of any recalls

4. The only problem i have is that the head bearing keeps coming lose, but that probably form doing wheelies:rock. There just to fun to stop doing.

I think the blue ones faster:D :D just my 2cents:D

Forgot to say WELCOME to the Forum:hellobye

·
One good turn deserves another
117 Posts
RexRR1 said:
Welcome Paul:hellobye

My 2003 Black (with Red flames) is the fastest. What happens is, Yamaha tests all the bikes before they ship them out. Before they ship them out the reset the odometers back to zero. Well, after the tests all the black 2003's magically have flames burned into them because they are so fast. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :fact What part of Florida? Yes, the sliver
is the fastest color. I'm not for sure, but I heard some talk a
while back that Yamaha made a minor change to the clutch for
the 03's. Other than that they added the flamer.

·
My R1 is SCRUMPTRULESCENT!
1,620 Posts
THE MUFFIN MAN said:
no changes at all between the two. color for 02 silver, red, blue. 03 black, silver, blue.
:iamwithst

Did you have the Erion scheme 929? I always liked those and heard they were under-powered and thats why they only made them for 1 or 2 years. Whats your opinion and why are you jumping the Honda ship?

And....Welcome:hellobye

·
I love this beast
112 Posts
Here in Europe the 03 has an orange button (on the left side of the steer) to activate the 4 blinkers at the same time, this can be usefull if you drive through traffic jamms... And the yzf stickers on the mid fairing are different.

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
The one is just a little bit different in color between the 02/03. the 02 has a bit more white than the 03. But you said you were looking at the silver one or the black one. sooo, well im sorry to hear that :rock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts