Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
R1 08
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a different brand engine oil makes diference in gripping clutch plates?

·
Venom X/O
25,561 Posts
Some people swear they can feel differences after oil changes, but it’s always going from old oil to fresh oil so of course they feel a change. Buy a reputable brand and ride with confident, oils have been beaten to death with comparisons and they’re all so close by that when it’s time to change the oil they all break down the same.

·
Venom X/O
25,561 Posts
How about castrol 10w40 full syn 4T?
I ran it for a while. You can search all of the oil comparisons, you’ll see which ones you can confidently put in your bike. At the end of the day, some guys run diesel truck oil and it’s fine, so any 4T oil as long as it’s changed regularly and it’s wet clutch compatible it’s probably perfectly fine in a street bike

·
Registered
R1 08
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I cant choose between Yamalube 10w40 full syn, motul 10w40 300v 4T full syn and the Castrol 10w40 4T

·
Venom X/O
25,561 Posts
Actually I cant choose between Yamalube 10w40 full syn, motul 10w40 300v 4T full syn and the Castrol 10w40 4T
I run 300V currently but I ran yamalube for a while as well. Any of those three is fine. Pick one at random and you’ll be fine. I felt no difference between yamalube and Motul. I get a deal on 300v that’s the only reason I run it

·
Registered
263 Posts
I run the Castrol in both my bikes most of the year, when it’s real hot I run Shell Advance Ultra 15/50 OR the Yamalube when available and cheap. I can’t tell any difference between any of them. I’d be willing to bet that there are a handful of riders in the world that could tell a difference blindfolded .

·
Registered
R1 08
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when to change oil on the 4c8? What is a safe margin on this engine?

2000mls or 3000mls?

·
Registered
263 Posts
For road riding I go 3000-4000 miles with my MT-10. My R1 mostly just sees track days; every other track day is good for me. I’m sure lots of riders change the oil more frequently, but I’ve never had any problems this way.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,513 Posts
I've tried to get 3k. I had to step it down to 2k. I either need to switch to a better oil, or a cheaper one.

I'm on the fence about switching to rotella t and moving the interval down to 1200 or 1500.

I'm just not happy with the performance of the mobil 1 4t. It's readily available, but, it burns up so quick and I hope I'm not damaging my cams.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts