Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
If speed kills quit taking it
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Martinc I need Digi help!!

I just won an auction for one of these units and want to know if anybody who has installed one was able to install the wires so that the "rubber boot" on the back of the speedo could still be used. I forsee problems being able to use slide the boot over the wires when they're running from the back of the speedo to the unit mounted by the instrument cluster.

Any suggestions?

·
Camshaft
281 Posts
:yesnod Go to riderstation.com and click on the link that says knowledge database. It is written in Red. Enter your bike and it will give you the wiring diagram. Cheers:thumbup

·
An R1 a day keeps Dr. away
161 Posts
I just finished installing it yesterdayon my '04; you can put them through the boot following the bus and still use it, or be dumb as me and mount the boot on top of the cables; either way the boot will work. The speedo wire it's under the tank on the right hand side very close to the tank pivot. it's on a 3 wire connector, you need to solder to the white/yellow wire. Check the service manual for the other wires to make sure you get the right connector. It's item 19 (Speed sensor)

I took some pictures, I'll try to post them tomorrow if you need them

Regards
:thumbup

·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kyrio said:
you can put them through the boot following the bus and still use it, or be dumb as me and mount the boot on top of the cables
I took some pictures, I'll try to post them tomorrow if you need them

Regards
:thumbup
Awesome. I'd love some pictures, not sure what you mean by "following the bus" but you gave me an idea anyway. I could probbly just poke a hole through the boot, run the wires through the hole and then solder them to the correct wires.
I haven't checked the wiring diagram for an '01 but I thin all the wires mount behind the speedo. :thumbup

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,316 Posts
Can't you just wire it behind the cluster? since the speedometer it just right there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
r1bong said:
Can't you just wire it behind the cluster? since the speedometer it just right there.
on 02 to 04 most of the wires are behind the gauge, but there is one wire that runs from the ECU that the gear indicator has to connect too.... the 98-01 models all the wires connect to the gauge cluster wiring loom

·
Registered
333 Posts
cut the wires.. splice in.. heat shrink.. never take the boot out.

·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
D3LS M said:
Digi gear instalation!dont get me started :mad: :cryin
Seems like it should be simple enough...

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,316 Posts
Will someone post some pics of how to because i just purchase one and i'm going to need some help soon:riding

·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump

·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone have any pics or more suggestions

·
161 Posts
I'll post the pictures this afternoon when I get back home.

Regards

·
161 Posts
Sorry for the delay... IT banned my work access to the forum..

Here's the boot and the cables I stripped

·
161 Posts
Crap.. Here's the image :mad:

Attachments

·
161 Posts
And the speedo

This was a very difficult picture because of the lighting+lousy camera+bad photographer.

Attachments

·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So was it fairly simple?
Were you able to reuse the boot?
And most important of all..does it work? I just sent payment for mine today :rock :jump

·
161 Posts
Yeah, It wasn't as bad. the most complicated step was the speedo, because of the stripping and soldering at an angle in a very reduced space.

And it works, The only thing I don't like is when you have been on the clutch for more than 5 secs, it looses the gear you where until you release it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts