Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Who dies with most toys, Wins
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my r1 bout a week ago. Last semester in school and finals haven't let me spend ant real time with it yet, I parked next to a CBR the other night that also had Power Pilots on it. I noticed that mine was in opposite direction of his. Mine is on backwards, So will my rear rip apart on me? I thought my last PP i bought had an arrow pointing to the direction it should go, Anyone know?

·
Home Track Qualified
893 Posts
No, the directional part is primarily for water evacuation. It is fairly common practice for track day riders and racers to flip a tire being used at a track that will have a greater amount of turns in one direction than another, like Jennings GP for example.

If you ride on the street in the rain on a regular basis you may want to rethink it, but the tire will not come apart because it is spinning counter to it's indicated direction.

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
Are you sure his were on the correct direction...Is your arrow the opposite way...if so take it back to whoever the heck put them on and get em on the right way....

I had that happen once on my old six and noticed it right as I picked it up... Brought the service manager out and asked him if he noticed anything wrong with the tires....took him a minute before I straight out told him...last time I ever went back there.

·
Who dies with most toys, Wins
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, his were on right, i looked last night for arrow but couldn't find it. like i said school as taking all my time right now. Thanks for the input

·
Shane loves........me
10,198 Posts
Seriously, look on the sidewall (where it tells you the size like 120/70) and you will see it, it will be like " <---DIRECTION" Not sure on the PP's exactly where it's at, but all tires should have them.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Looking at the tire from the side, when the direction arrow is on the top of the tire, and it is pointing towards the front of the motorcycle, your tire is mounted on correctly for water evacuation (mounted how the maker of tires want you to do it).

Others pointed out, if it is on backwards, no biggie, as long as you do not ride in wet conditions.

I do this for the track to save on tires. Once the left side wears off more, I flip it over to the 'backwards' configuration to allow the tire wear to be more even across the whole tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.