Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
married with children
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mY DIRT BIKE WILL NOT IDLE BUT IF YOU FEATHER THE GAS it will run and it runs great. It has a single carb and i tore it down and cleaned it really well. I have played with the idle screw but will be way to high or when i have it right it will idel for a very short period. I have drained the tank and put in new gas. any suggestions out there?

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
:dunno

·
Redlinin'
1,420 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, and after taking the carb apart, the guys found that something was missing. A fuel regulator or something that was keeping it from idling. Sorry I can't be more specific, but once they determined what was missing, they replaced it and it has been perfect since. (knocking on wood)

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
6,004 Posts
what kind of bike, size, 2 or 4 stroke. If changine the Idle air mixture screw isnt working have you checked the slide stop screw. It should go in the side of the Carb and seats in a tapered ramp on the slide.

·
married with children
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is a 200 4 stroke. the slide is seating properly, it didnt notice anything missing inside and the carb was pretty clean. the air fuel mixture has been adjusted and runs perfect past idle.

·
Who's Ya Daddy??
6,004 Posts
sounds to me like the slide is closing to far, There should be an idle speed / slide stop adjustment screw. It might have gotten turned out to far when you cleaned the carb. Also, on some carbs it is possible to put the slide in backwards

·
married with children
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it isnt possibelt to put the slide in backwards because of the little pin that the slide has to match up with. and the idle was a problem before and after cleaning the carb. i will tear it back down again and look but if anybody has any other suggestions i will try anything.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
chuck said:
it is a 200 4 stroke. the slide is seating properly, it didnt notice anything missing inside and the carb was pretty clean. the air fuel mixture has been adjusted and runs perfect past idle.
The air/fuel mixture screw affects the fuel system only at idle. I think this is your culprit.

·
Premium Member
8,670 Posts
When you rev the bike up - does it hold the rev and then drop below idle? Or does it rev and then drop quickly to below idle and want to stall?

·
married with children
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Corny said:
When you rev the bike up - does it hold the rev and then drop below idle? Or does it rev and then drop quickly to below idle and want to stall?
when i rev the bike it will hold then when you let off it will die at idle. so it would represent your second question.
what do you think i should look at?
i have mesed with the air fuel richer and leaner and it makes a diference in the revs but it hasnt changed it at idle. do i need more adjustment on the air fuel screw?

·
Hesitation is Masterbation.
344 Posts
It dosen't sound like the carb, it sounds like you have and airleak from somewhere. Check you're intake gaskets, intake boot for cracks, or maybe even base gasket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You guys have guessed everything possible. LMAO Chances are he needs to check the plug(which is whats wrong), or adjust the idle screw which he already did.

·
Premium Member
27,468 Posts
motoxjb said:
It dosen't sound like the carb, it sounds like you have and airleak from somewhere. Check you're intake gaskets, intake boot for cracks, or maybe even base gasket.

:iamwithst Also check your air filter. :)

·
Old and slow.
176 Posts
Predator19 said:
You guys have guessed everything possible. LMAO
Not quite, nobody asked him to check the squish clearance of the cylinder.. or to make sure the valve stem on his rear tire had a cap on it.

:crash :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts