Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· married with children
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mY DIRT BIKE WILL NOT IDLE BUT IF YOU FEATHER THE GAS it will run and it runs great. It has a single carb and i tore it down and cleaned it really well. I have played with the idle screw but will be way to high or when i have it right it will idel for a very short period. I have drained the tank and put in new gas. any suggestions out there?

· Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,174 Posts
:dunno

· Redlinin'
1,424 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, and after taking the carb apart, the guys found that something was missing. A fuel regulator or something that was keeping it from idling. Sorry I can't be more specific, but once they determined what was missing, they replaced it and it has been perfect since. (knocking on wood)

· Who's Ya Daddy??
5,986 Posts
what kind of bike, size, 2 or 4 stroke. If changine the Idle air mixture screw isnt working have you checked the slide stop screw. It should go in the side of the Carb and seats in a tapered ramp on the slide.

· married with children
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is a 200 4 stroke. the slide is seating properly, it didnt notice anything missing inside and the carb was pretty clean. the air fuel mixture has been adjusted and runs perfect past idle.

· Who's Ya Daddy??
5,986 Posts
sounds to me like the slide is closing to far, There should be an idle speed / slide stop adjustment screw. It might have gotten turned out to far when you cleaned the carb. Also, on some carbs it is possible to put the slide in backwards

· married with children
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it isnt possibelt to put the slide in backwards because of the little pin that the slide has to match up with. and the idle was a problem before and after cleaning the carb. i will tear it back down again and look but if anybody has any other suggestions i will try anything.

· married with children
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Corny said:
When you rev the bike up - does it hold the rev and then drop below idle? Or does it rev and then drop quickly to below idle and want to stall?
when i rev the bike it will hold then when you let off it will die at idle. so it would represent your second question.
what do you think i should look at?
i have mesed with the air fuel richer and leaner and it makes a diference in the revs but it hasnt changed it at idle. do i need more adjustment on the air fuel screw?

· Premium Member
29,633 Posts
motoxjb said:
It dosen't sound like the carb, it sounds like you have and airleak from somewhere. Check you're intake gaskets, intake boot for cracks, or maybe even base gasket.

:iamwithst Also check your air filter. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.