Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have 3 years till i can get my motorcycle licence, and i want to get as much experience before then. I currently have about 2000 dollars saved up and my dad said he'd chip in if it's not enough. What's the difference between riding dirt and street. Should i look for a used Aprilia RS to ride or get another dirtbike?

Sorry if this belongs in off-topic:vanish

·
WahWahWeeWAH
2,405 Posts
you could buy a really nice dirtbike for 2 g's. then sell it when the time comes and buy a 250 or 500 for the street. dirt and street are totally different. but the fundamentals you'll learn on dirt will be with you when you make the jump.

ando

·
South Side Hitmen
2,214 Posts
buy a used Yamaha 426/250 four stroke dirt bike, I think they will retain a better resale value over a two stroke. Also they are tons of fun.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
In a safety report (can't recall which one) that I read earlier this year it was noted that people having experience on dirt bikes are far less likely to crash a street bike. I think dirt bikes give you lots of skills that relate (wet-slippery conditions, fast reaction, sand-dirt on corners, etc..). And they're soo much fun!!

·
South Side Hitmen
2,214 Posts
afabbrin said:
In a safety report (can't recall which one) that I read earlier this year it was noted that people having experience on dirt bikes are far less likely to crash a street bike. I think dirt bikes give you lots of skills that relate (wet-slippery conditions, fast reaction, sand-dirt on corners, etc..). And they're soo much fun!!
:iamwithst

1 - 6 of 6 Posts