Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a very cheap simple method to fix cracked fairings made of ABS plastic.
It consists in melting down ABS plastic with a solvent (acetone is perfect) in order to create a 'sludge' that can fill up the cracks.
It's very simple. All you need is some spare fairings to sacrify and a solvent such as acetone. The fairings can be easily found at any wrecker, taking a badly damaged panel will only cost a few bucks:thumbup. Otherwise they may be lying around in your shed, even cheaper.

1- Take the spare fairing (make sure it is ABS plastic!) and grind off all the paint from the area you intend to use. (pic1)

2- Cut that area into tiny little shards, the smaller the better.
I used a Dremel tool to cut the panel, and collected all the little hot residues coming from the friction with the blade, they’re perfect.
(see pic2 - NOTE: you will need much more material than that!)

3- Ok, now get hold of a condiment bottle. These are particularly good because of the nozzle that will allow you to squirt the liquid ABS accurately into the cracks. I used an old BBQ sauce bottle and it worked perfect! (see pic 3)
Clean the inside well, and then fill it about 1/4 to 1/2 full with those plastic shards you collected.

4- Ok, time to make the sludge. Get the acetone, and start pouring SMALL amounts of it in the condiment bottle. Start with a tablespoon maybe. Close it, shake it for a few seconds, give it time to melt and see how it goes. If the content does not feel melted, add another bit of acetone. Go on until the plastic shards become a sludge about as thick as tube paint. Too thin, and it will run through the cracks you want to repair. Too thick, and it will struggle to come out of the nozzle.
Remember that it's always easier to make the mixture thinner than to make it thicker, so go easy with the acetone.

Also remember, it is important that your bottle has a nozzle that it is able to CLOSE. In fact, if you leave it open for too long the acetone will evaporate and you'll find yourself with a block of solid ABS!:no
Keep that in mind also when you topping up with acetone/shards: do it reasonably quick.

Now have fun, hope it works well for you all and most importantly saves you a few bucks:epimp
In my opinion, the great thing about this method is that the repair is not like glue and stuff, it's actually a chemical bond - quite strong from what I have experimented so far.

Further infos about this whole process can be found on this thread (which is where i took inspiration from)
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fab...-adhesives-why-dont-more-people-use-them.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the repair I've done on the tailpiece. It was pretty badly damaged, all the black parts that you see were missing.
I have rebuild the holes by welding chunks of plastic together, then filled all the gaps and cracks with the ABS sludge.
The result is quite shitty to look at :no but structure-wise it's nice and solid.
Hopefully it gets better when I repaint it.

Attachments

·
My R1 knows me way to well!
137 Posts
Nice one.... I'll have to remember that trick...

Alan

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,509 Posts
interesting. now I just wish I never trashed one a couple old plastics haha

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
very nice, ask either DanQ or Blur1 to move this to the How-to section. :fact

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
very nice, ask either DanQ or Blur1 to move this to the How-to section. :fact
:2bitchsla:2bitchsla why cant u do it ur a mod and do some work roooooooooo:hammer::hammer:

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
I can only ban and infract fooker... I'll be happy to oblige you. :sneaky:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No definitely not. Acetone has no effect on PET plastic (the one used in the food industry), once you make the glue you can keep it in the bottle for months. Just yesterday I used a bit of the glue i made 50 days ago and is exactly as day 1!
Not sure what you mean by making tabs, could you be a bit more specific?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think dmowmow is talking about tabs, as in, little plastic lugs on the edges of the fairing that interlock with grooves other pieces

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think dmowmow is talking about tabs, as in, little plastic lugs on the edges of the fairing that interlock with grooves other pieces
Oh right, well i guess you can if you make a particularly thick mixture and you have the patience to give them the right shape:) or even better, make a mould.
Personally, I tried to do tabs for the left side of the tailpiece, but it was too difficult so I didn't bother. They were too small, and you needed quite a precise shape for them to interlock correctly. Too hard and time-consuming - for me at least. But maybe other pieces do not require such a precision work, it could be easier

·
Registered
60 Posts
tabs

I guess it would be worth a try to remove a tab off an existing trashed faring and try to glue it on the where the one broke off. I'll try the next time I get them off which should be soon. One tab is making a loose seam and want to close it up.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
no melt down

it took longer than i thought to get to this, i hope there is a reply.
I tried melting some faring, chipped up into small pieces but it wouldn't touch it. It might be the same material as the condiment bottle. I tried abs pipe and got it to melt but only stuck to the surface of the scared up faring. I tried sticking some faring into laquer thinner since it's stronger than acetone but still no effect.
any other bright ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found the fix on the other link, plastic fix using a soider iron, seems to work, hope it holds putting it back together.

thanks for all the help from this site.
d'mowmow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.