Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts
Yes!
Because the oil will go thin in the bike after 4+ months...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Man I wish I could go a year without doing a oil change... On my second this year

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Natural oils, the joke is all the dead dinosaurs rotting made the oil, so we all call it Dino oil Vs Synthetic oil
It was actually the marine life in the oceans the last time they got too warm and everything died.
Very Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm a Synthetic oil guy since it became popular years back. I have a few bikes and don't have as much time to ride as I used to so I don't put many miles on my bikes and do sometimes go more than a year without an oil change. I figured with Synthetic that would be ok but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know.

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Very Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm a Synthetic oil guy since it became popular years back. I have a few bikes and don't have as much time to ride as I used to so I don't put many miles on my bikes and do sometimes go more than a year without an oil change. I figured with Synthetic that would be ok but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know.
I'm with you, I don't ride much since life started getting in the way, so I go synthetic and roll the dice...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The main thing to watch for is oil contamination. If you do start the engine, take the bike for a decent ride so that the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the gas and products of combustion that get into the oil after a cold start.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
The main thing to watch for is oil contamination. If you do start the engine, take the bike for a decent ride so that the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the gas and products of combustion that get into the oil after a cold start.
That's a good idea which I do. When ever I ride I always ride at least long enough to get it to normal operating radiator temps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts