Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
You'd have to put ALOT of work into it. Probably at least have to do some engine mods...

- BA

·
Not fast! Just smooth!!
597 Posts
All bikes are limited on how fast they can go. Is it just a matter of how quick you get there. But I read the new R1 is only going to be making a 150 R.W.H.P. So for a couple of thousand dollars you would be right there with the new R1 in ponies. Good Luck!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
To me it doesen't really matter if the 04 is faster than the 02/03
because most people won't ride their bike to it's full potential
anyway. Just learn how to ride the bike properly.

·
I need more money.
3,023 Posts
I don't care.

Looks Is a big issue here, Isn't it?

they are both great bikes and in some points 02/03 is nicer then the new one.

I orderd the 04 , with down payment and everthing, but in these days I am having a 2nd thoughts about it.

I love my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Life is GRAND
1,992 Posts
downtown said:
I don't care.

Looks Is a big issue here, Isn't it?

they are both great bikes and in some points 02/03 is nicer then the new one.

I orderd the 04 , with down payment and everthing, but in these days I am having a 2nd thoughts about it.

I love my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, the new R1 is pretty damn hot and I'm sure it's gonna be a screamer, but I love my baby and would'nt give it up for anything.

·
Forum Moderator
3,957 Posts
I wont be trading in my 02 for the 04... this is why I am going to do 1 of 2 mods.. turbo or nos :fact

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
I hate to say it but i doubt there is a single rider on this board(ok Chuck graves doesn't count)who can get the most outta thier r1,or an old ass fz600 for that matter.Can't belive they sell bikes like this to the public now

·
Banned
163 Posts
whats up. i have seen that bike down anacostia park .. i remember the fairing. anyway i think the 02- 03 r 1 will run with the 04 no different than they now run with zx 12's busa's and gix 1000. what i am sayin is what you already know.. its pretty much the rider. *** the hype.. its the ryder. wait and you will see.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dont be narrow minded not everyone canyon carves 100% of the time.Some of us street race a tad bit and in a straight line from 2nd gear rolls rider can't beat 10 extra ponies sorry. The 04 R1 is gonna do to the 02/03 R1's what the G1K has been doin for years. I can't wait to own one.

·
Banned
163 Posts
i feel you ntskeered, good point. and straight line the r 1 has never been the bike..... thats not what its for . we all know zooks & zx12's got the 1/4 mile locked down. but who cares ???why by a sport bike like an r 1 to go straight.

·
My other ride is your gf. ;)
186 Posts
I've had my 03 R1 for 7 months now, I love it to death. I can't use all of its power, I don't NEED an '04. I'll let my friend get one and ride his every now and then, lol. A bike is a bike, just get out and ride, be safe, and have fun!

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
ccrw said:
i feel you ntskeered, good point. and straight line the r 1 has never been the bike..... thats not what its for . we all know zooks & zx12's got the 1/4 mile locked down. but who cares ???why by a sport bike like an r 1 to go straight.
Why didn't you get an R6? Maybe you like the compromise that an R1 is. And what a nice compromise at that.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
here's the deal on the power... The 02/03 (an previous years) had some issues with the way the bike was made. The headers were really restrictive, the airbox (no ram air), the bike didnt rev as high as it could as with a Yammi Race ECU, the internals werent tweaked as much as they should be to optimize power. Yamaha had built a rocket but had focused more on the curves than outright power.

Now with 2004 they have obviously kept it a corner buster, but have corrected alot of the "faults" from before. It revs higher, the exhaust isnt as restricted, the internals are a bit different, it has ram air... all to make that big power boost.

So you see, on an 02 R1 you could slap a full exhaust and Race ECU on there, get a ram air box and velocity stacks, do the engine work, and now you are at 150 - 160bhp. I think for the first year or so the gains wont be quite as impressive with the 04 model simply because it is alot more cutting edge. So in the end the bikes are that far apart you see. Obviously the 04 is better, but the 02 shouldnt be shown as a museum exhibit yet :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts