Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds really weird but after my bike warms up it smells like threre's a wood burning stove under me.... I've looked all around my bike when this happening and can't seem to find the source or where this smell is coming from. My bike only has 1100 miles on it, so i was thinking maybe things are just still breaking in but it seems strange so i thought i should ask and see if anyone else has had this happen to them.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Mine smells like burning plastic... just put on new cans though, so its them burning in apparently.

When I first picked her up there was smoke pouring out the exhausts, and she'd been turned of for a few minutes already...:dunno

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
Mine smelled funny when i was bringing it home, then, changed to GYTR pipes, and smelled funky when I shut it off, I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned with probably, I'm not too worried....

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
mines been known to smell like burning rubber every now and then:sing: :lol

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:yesnod

I also had a couple of funky smells when she was new (for the first 150 km's)

Sometimes smelled like burnt oil, other times like burnt plastic, but it soons stopped. After the first service and fitting the GYTR pipes I had the same for a little while, I am sure it' nothing to be concerned about and it appears tobe a ormal thing for a new high performance motor.

I have no lags, no glitches and no problems, she is running well :rock

:fork Ride Safe and espect the Beast :boobies

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
My 06 had the wood burning smell I think it was pinestraw in the driveway that kicked into the lower fairing, in the driveway was the only time it smelt that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed this smell from the minute I rode it the first time. Have you gutted your cat? This may be a shot in the dark but it could be the heated cat material....dunno tho it kinda gave me the "new car" smell feeling. Maybe someone who had their cat gutted can give feedback

·
live by the loud pipes
63 Posts
my two brothers exhaust had a little funky smell when i first put it on which has since went away, the only smell i had when i gutted my cat was the smell of the fresh paint bakin on, which has also went away......

its sounds like the problem some girls have, smells on day then fine the next either way enjoy the ride

·
Let's Ride!!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed this smell from the minute I rode it the first time. Have you gutted your cat? This may be a shot in the dark but it could be the heated cat material....dunno tho it kinda gave me the "new car" smell feeling. Maybe someone who had their cat gutted can give feedback
I will be putting in a Y pipe soon.... and i'll let you know if it changes..

·
add it to my tab officer!
1,789 Posts
yer mine was like that once,when fairly new. i could see faint smoke coming from around the speedo. but was kinda like wires burning. i trucked it to the shop, there was nothing to be found, a few bugs around the engine, so it was put down to that. it went away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.