Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine's been acting weird, at ~10,800 miles, kinda like I don't have one, esp. at low speeds, more in the past couple weeks. At first I thought it was low tire pressure, but no, then I tried suspension, but even at race settings it still turns like a Guzzi!

Anyone else have this problem? Or has everyone just up and replaced the stock damper?

Suz

·
Necessary Evil
499 Posts
i drained mine and filled it with amsoil 10-w40 feels great. super smooth and stiffer than stock.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Pinky said:
Mine's been acting weird, at ~10,800 miles, kinda like I don't have one, esp. at low speeds, more in the past couple weeks. At first I thought it was low tire pressure, but no, then I tried suspension, but even at race settings it still turns like a Guzzi!

Anyone else have this problem? Or has everyone just up and replaced the stock damper?

Suz
If the steering damper were getting soft or acting like you didn't have one, the bike would be easier to turn, not slower, plus you'd have more headshake during aggressive acceleration. What you are describing sounds like a different problem. Check you head bearings. They may be loose. The head set has a propensity to loosen, and at 10,800, I would expect it to be loose. Was nice seeing you at Streets of Willow yesterday!

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, yes, the ol' steering head bearings! Thanks Eyespy! I'll run down and have that checked asap! All those 12:00 wheelies I've been doing through rush hour traffic musta taken their toll! ;-P

Which R1 rider at streets were you? there were so many of us! I had fun, but I wishe they'd pave that track.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Pinky said:
Ahh, yes, the ol' steering head bearings! Thanks Eyespy! I'll run down and have that checked asap! All those 12:00 wheelies I've been doing through rush hour traffic musta taken their toll! ;-P

Which R1 rider at streets were you? there were so many of us! I had fun, but I wishe they'd pave that track.
I was the control rider that was talking to you by your pit about your brake light, and the zipper on your leathers. :hellobye

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah yes, I feel like such a squid! Oh well. Turns out I needed some minor suspension adjustments. I had adjusted the spring the wrong direction, so it was too soft, and couldn't get the tool to work in the other direction. So I took it to the shop, and my mechanic also suggested I drop the front triple clamp 10mm, and wow! what a difference! good thing it was such a cheap and easy fix, bad thing I have such an issue about learning and remembering suspension settings. I had written some down, but not the rear spring setting, so that was all it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.