Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ah Um
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this ad on CycleTrader (http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/6/65846206.htm) and red flashing lights went off in my head when the text referred to the pictured bike as "stock" and that the price was so low on a bike that had full Ohlins forks. It occurred to me that this bike may belong to someone on this forum, so I thought I'd ask.

I emailed the guy and got this response:

"Hello ,
Dear sir
i buy this bike when i was in us . now i"m in europe again ... i sell
because i have problems with she . i can"t register here .. so thats way i
want sell on US . the bike its register in IN and have clean title . payment
will be done via Money Oder wire transfer (via Western Union on my full name and
address ) . Delivery will be done via DHL air express come at your home and
takes 3 days . The delivery will be done after i have the confirmation off
payment . you can send me 50% off money . shipping cost its about 760$-850$ .
So if you are interested to buy this bike at this low price please let me know
Thanks"

Smells like yet another CT/eBay wire-transfer scam. I've reported this fugger to the abuse departments at both CycleTrader folks and Yahoo!, which is where his email addy is from.

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
That's funny how it's supposed to be shipped via Airborne/DHL. I NEVER saw anything that big come through any of the distribution centers when I was working there......LOL

·
Go Boilers!!
483 Posts
The first thing to notice, well, it's not a 2002.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
It's not even a 2002 model. Gawd I'm sick and tired of seeing scams on eBay and CycleTrader.:rant

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,614 Posts
it's not even a 2000-2001.... hmmmmmmmmm stupid people...... you said he said it was out of the country... it saw CA on the AD........ i think that should be looked into.....

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,614 Posts
GXRKLR said:
I wonder how many of these guys get away with this.
i don't know but some guy tried to scam me last summer...... a 2000 R6 for $3500 with like 4000 miles on it..... found out it was a scam when the back he told me to send the money order too didn't exsite in the Western Union files..... so i said screw it.... found my busted R1 and here i am happy and slightly broken.... HA HA HA ok so that only had half a happy ending LOL

but anyways people do this all the time.... it's harder on E-bay cause e-bay looks for that stuff..... so they try to get you through e-mails outside of e-bay............. my thoughts.... don't trust Erupoeans with cheap bikes.... i think it was Motorcyclest that just came out this month.... they did a section on stuff like this.... talking about how not to get scamed and how to see if it is a scam

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Deeter said:
I saw this ad on CycleTrader (http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/6/65846206.htm) and red flashing lights went off in my head when the text referred to the pictured bike as "stock" and that the price was so low on a bike that had full Ohlins forks. It occurred to me that this bike may belong to someone on this forum, so I thought I'd ask.

I emailed the guy and got this response:

"Hello ,
Dear sir
i buy this bike when i was in us . now i"m in europe again ... i sell
because i have problems with she . i can"t register here .. so thats way i
want sell on US . the bike its register in IN and have clean title . payment
will be done via Money Oder wire transfer (via Western Union on my full name and
address ) . Delivery will be done via DHL air express come at your home and
takes 3 days . The delivery will be done after i have the confirmation off
payment . you can send me 50% off money . shipping cost its about 760$-850$ .
So if you are interested to buy this bike at this low price please let me know
Thanks"

Smells like yet another CT/eBay wire-transfer scam. I've reported this fugger to the abuse departments at both CycleTrader folks and Yahoo!, which is where his email addy is from.
Scam!! And BTW, WELCOME!!:beer

·
Moving sucks...
10,139 Posts
I think Motocyclist echo'd the old "If it's too good to be true, it probably is". Perfect advice, IMO. I wouldn't ever pay for a bike that I couldn't see and touch. It's a shame there's scumbags out there that don't have the integrity to actually work for a living.

·
Can't wait until the weekend.
98 Posts
what an a**hole. You would think the guy would know at least something about the bike he trying to scam. What F moron. Good catch.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
1700warrior said:
That's funny how it's supposed to be shipped via Airborne/DHL. I NEVER saw anything that big come through any of the distribution centers when I was working there......LOL
Ha ha ... Maybe they drop it out with a parachute like the military!

·
Registered
357 Posts
You wire him that money order and he's in the WIND!! Never to be seen again.

Looks like a 1998. The bike is real and in CA. The guy don't even have it I bet.

Tarl

·
The Original Bad Ass!
261 Posts
I have had those same pictures saved on my computer for over a year now. I found them on some custom paint shop's website. Nice Bike, but no doubt is a Scam. This pisses me off just reading about it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts