Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
:)
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if yamahas are limited like suzukis? So that the perfomance in the first 3 gears is reduced and speed limited in 6. gear.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
yeppers there is no electronic limiting on bike.. tho some guys will tell you different. but for now the R1 just dont have power to get over 186 mph stock. Not sure about any other models of R1's other than US models.. maybe the Euro versions are limited, but not US models

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 07 R1 has some techno-trickery like that, so does the 06-07 R6. The others do not.
I have a 07R1 - Where can I get a TRE or top end de-restricter? We did a top end run and I'm hitting the limiter in 6th gear(standard gearing). Currently have an AKRO full system with BMC filter.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
yeppers there is no electronic limiting on bike.. tho some guys will tell you different. but for now the R1 just dont have power to get over 186 mph stock. Not sure about any other models of R1's other than US models.. maybe the Euro versions are limited, but not US models
The most I've seen so far is an indicated 190... about 13200 or so rpm.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
I was wondering if yamahas are limited like suzukis? So that the perfomance in the first 3 gears is reduced and speed limited in 6. gear.
"Speedohealer" is what you are looking for. Run a search here on the Forum for more information.

I have a 07R1 - Where can I get a TRE or top end de-restricter? We did a top end run and I'm hitting the limiter in 6th gear(standard gearing). Currently have an AKRO full system with BMC filter.
Do a search for Speedohealer. Some members have reported problems with a loss of performance on the 07, while others have successfully installed it with no problems. Read some of the threads on the subject, then you can decide if you want to purchase the product.

Ride safe.

·
Will Wheelie For Boobs....
31 Posts
Hmmmm. Speedohealer does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING performance wise. All it does is adjust the modulation of the speed signal before it hits the dash display. and even then you have to calibrate for tire and or sprocket changes. Or you could do it the easy way, go say 70mph with a GPS unit and calculate the different in speed thats displayed on the dash.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Hmmmm. Speedohealer does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING performance wise. All it does is adjust the modulation of the speed signal before it hits the dash display. and even then you have to calibrate for tire and or sprocket changes. Or you could do it the easy way, go say 70mph with a GPS unit and calculate the different in speed thats displayed on the dash.

I reported this issue several months ago and others agree with me that installing and calibrating a SpeedoHealer can adversely affect the motor's performance on a 2007 model. The ECU looks at many factors for setting the variable mapping (those with PC3USB's and installed them themselves know what I am talking about) such as rpm, vehicle speed, and gear. The SpeedoHealer changes the output of the speed sensor to your calibration setting, therefore the vehicle speed and engine speed no longer "match" and the engine mapping becomes incorrect. I don't know if a custom map after a SpeedoHealer install will work because based on the way the ECU controls the map and how the PC3USB works, apparently you can't fully re-map the bike like you could on the older models. Do a search and you'll find the comments. I have 2 SpeedoHealers still sitting in the box in my garage (1 is actually a Jim Ahlman design) because of this. I may just stick one on my R6 to see if it does the same. You can argue with me or disagree but like the saying goes... "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Hmmmm. Speedohealer does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING performance wise. All it does is adjust the modulation of the speed signal before it hits the dash display.

That "before it hits the dash display" is actually the ECU and for whatever reason it really cares about what input it gets.

·
My R6 is a Silva Bullet
391 Posts
for those suggesting a speedo healer, i dont think u guys know what a TRE is. the simple answer to the original question is NO. there is no such mod for yamahas. the closest thing to it is a power commander. but you'll still be limited on the top end.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
I reported this issue several months ago and others agree with me that installing and calibrating a SpeedoHealer can adversely affect the motor's performance on a 2007 model. The ECU looks at many factors for setting the variable mapping (those with PC3USB's and installed them themselves know what I am talking about) such as rpm, vehicle speed, and gear. The SpeedoHealer changes the output of the speed sensor to your calibration setting, therefore the vehicle speed and engine speed no longer "match" and the engine mapping becomes incorrect. I don't know if a custom map after a SpeedoHealer install will work because based on the way the ECU controls the map and how the PC3USB works, apparently you can't fully re-map the bike like you could on the older models. Do a search and you'll find the comments. I have 2 SpeedoHealers still sitting in the box in my garage (1 is actually a Jim Ahlman design) because of this. I may just stick one on my R6 to see if it does the same. You can argue with me or disagree but like the saying goes... "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

Unfortunately, yourself and R1Phrankey seem to be about the only ones here on the Forum reporting performance problems on the 07 with Speedohealer installed.

There are a number of possibilities as to why it did not work on your bikes. Perhaps your stock ECU would somehow not allow the Speedohealer to interface with it? Perhaps your Speedohealer's where defective? Perhaps improper installation, etc.

Although I don't have a direct answer for your specific cases, there are many other members that have installed the Speedohealer with no loss of performance on the 07 R1.

Myself and others do actually ride the bike in the power band so a decrease in performance would be quickly noted. If there was a performance problem, it would quickly come to light when competing against other litre bikes.

I can promise you there is no performance problem with my bike.:fact

It is almost comical that you continue to bring this subject up in every Speedohealer thread after so many people have reported successful installations. I actually see more faulty (meaning bike won't run with PC plugged in, unhook PC and bike runs) PC's on motorcycles these days when it comes to electronics on the bikes, but you don't see people on here saying "Don't install a Dynojet PCIII USB because it will leave your bike in a non-running state"

Sorry for the long read.

Ride safe.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
for those suggesting a speedo healer, i dont think u guys know what a TRE is. the simple answer to the original question is NO. there is no such mod for yamahas. the closest thing to it is a power commander. but you'll still be limited on the top end.

It would appear by your statement, that you do not understand what the capabilities of the Speedohealer are.

It can move top speed limit to an unreachable speed. :fact :yesnod :yesnod :yesnod

Ride safe.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts

actually there is no limit on top end.. at least electronically. the only limit on top end is horsepower, gearing and aerodynamics. with enuff HP the R1 will pull to limiter in 6th with stock gearing. but there is no such TRE for yamahas... only kawasakis, zooks.

not sure on speedohealer info. its my thoughts that the ECU takes readings from throttle position, engine rpm. not sure if 07 ecu also takes into account the mph.. i wouldnt think so at all.. racers are going to regear there bikes.. so if thats the case.. there mapping would be all over the place.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Unfortunately, yourself and R1Phrankey seem to be about the only ones here on the Forum reporting performance problems on the 07 with Speedohealer installed.

There are a number of possibilities as to why it did not work on your bikes. Perhaps your stock ECU would somehow not allow the Speedohealer to interface with it? Perhaps your Speedohealer's where defective? Perhaps improper installation, etc.

Although I don't have a direct answer for your specific cases, there are many other members that have installed the Speedohealer with no loss of performance on the 07 R1.

Myself and others do actually ride the bike in the power band so a decrease in performance would be quickly noted. If there was a performance problem, it would quickly come to light when competing against other litre bikes.

I can promise you there is no performance problem with my bike.:fact

It is almost comical that you continue to bring this subject up in every Speedohealer thread after so many people have reported successful installations. I actually see more faulty (meaning bike won't run with PC plugged in, unhook PC and bike runs) PC's on motorcycles these days when it comes to electronics on the bikes, but you don't see people on here saying "Don't install a Dynojet PCIII USB because it will leave your bike in a non-running state"

Sorry for the long read.

Ride safe.
1. Not defective, works on my other 2 R1's.
2. Installation? 2 plugs and a 12v supply... no issues there.
3. Yes, I did use the original ECU and I haven't tried with the new one. Good point!
4. How many people does it take to make it an issue? Not everyone has/needs/wants a SpeedoHealer. I seem to remember posting back in December that the bike has an issue in 2nd gear around 49mph... look how that turned out. Is it wrong to post what I know, or should I just post what everyone else knows? I guess I should just say to everyone "Buy a SpeedoHealer!!!" and keep my fingers crossed...
5. I have a decent grasp of electronics and how to troubleshoot them and admittedly I have spent 0 time on trying to figure out why I had problems, I just gathered the info on what was giving me problems, bypassed it to verify, then I took it out.
6. Tell me what I can do to make it more comical... we all need a laugh these days... other than what the Michigan football team can provide.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
actually there is no limit on top end.. at least electronically. the only limit on top end is horsepower, gearing and aerodynamics. with enuff HP the R1 will pull to limiter in 6th with stock gearing. but there is no such TRE for yamahas... only kawasakis, zooks.

not sure on speedohealer info. its my thoughts that the ECU takes readings from throttle position, engine rpm. not sure if 07 ecu also takes into account the mph.. i wouldnt think so at all.. racers are going to regear there bikes.. so if thats the case.. there mapping would be all over the place.
Re-gearing doesn't affect the relationship between indicated speed and rpm, just actual speed vs. rpm.

The ECU definitely looks at the speed input. The throttle lag recall/issue /whatever all centered around 2nd gear and a speed, not rpm. I found that out when I had my SpeedoHealer installed.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
1. Not defective, works on my other 2 R1's.
2. Installation? 2 plugs and a 12v supply... no issues there.
3. Yes, I did use the original ECU and I haven't tried with the new one. Good point!
4. How many people does it take to make it an issue? Not everyone has/needs/wants a SpeedoHealer. I seem to remember posting back in December that the bike has an issue in 2nd gear around 49mph... look how that turned out. Is it wrong to post what I know, or should I just post what everyone else knows? I guess I should just say to everyone "Buy a SpeedoHealer!!!" and keep my fingers crossed...
5. I have a decent grasp of electronics and how to troubleshoot them and admittedly I have spent 0 time on trying to figure out why I had problems, I just gathered the info on what was giving me problems, bypassed it to verify, then I took it out.
6. Tell me what I can do to make it more comical... we all need a laugh these days... other than what the Michigan football team can provide.

Nope nothing wrong with letting people know that you had performance problems on the 07 R1 after Speedohealer installation. I would expect that I would do the same if I had a problem with it. I believe it would be taken as a serious issue if more members were reporting problems. Unfortunately, in this situation that is just not the case.

However, you are giving inaccurate-information when you say "Do not install the Speedohealer because it will mess up your bikes performance" when that is simply not the case for most of us, and you have no way of knowing if it will affect someones bike the way it did on yours.

On the other side of that, I have no way of telling someone, without a doubt, that it will work without problems on their bike since a couple of you have reported problems. Therefore, I say that I have installed one on my bike with no ill effects, but some members have reported problems. Then they can make up their own mind if they wish to purchase the product. This is reporting both sides of the issue, and leaves the decision up to each member.

In regards to the ECU lag issue. That is totally different. To my knowledge every U.S. model had the problem. If only a few people had reported the lag issue, and everyone else said "no problems with my bike" then there would have been no widespread Exchange Notice and everyone would have just assumed that there were a few bikes with this problem.

As an example, some members have reported footrest snapping off. Does this mean that every footrest on every R1 is going to snap off? Does this mean that every R1 owner should run out and purchase aftermarket rearsets because a few have had them snap off? I would hope the answer to both would be no.

It is unfortunate that it happened, and good for members to let us know of the problem, so we can keep an eye out for problems with the footrest. However, to say that all footrest on all R1's are going to snap off is just wrong.

Ride safe.

·
My R6 is a Silva Bullet
391 Posts

so when the speedo stops reading at 189 the bike is still accelerating? from 04 and up arent they all governed to 189?

·
Banned
360 Posts
Speedo Healer was installed this weekend and I have had no ill effects. :fact

Performance was put to the test a few times on Sunday!! :fact :sneaky

1 - 20 of 51 Posts