Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Iam from Portugal.
I have a R1 2009, my bike bike when is hot dont start and the battery sometimes dead, i changed the battery for new one, i tested the rectifier and is all good.
When is cold start very good, but when when is hot or litle if I turn off andstart again sometimes dont work, and sometimes says "HI".
Some ideia whats happening?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Might be overheating, especially if it says "HI". If it says "HI" the bike won't start, it's a self preservation feature. Are you idling for extended time and getting it too hot? Coolant fresh and the level good? Thermostat works? Temp sensor working correctly? This is where I'd start looking.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hello,
I have a R1 2009, my bike bike when is hot dont start and the battery sometimes dead, i changed the battery for new one, i tested the rectifier and is all good.
When is cold start very good, but when when is hot or litle if I turn off andstart again sometimes dont work, and sometimes says "HI".
Some ideia whats happening?
did you check your coolant?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, all good.
But sometimes if drive slow and the temperature is a litle more hot that normal, and if i turn off the engine and start again dont start, but just when is hot.
If i stop and wait 10 minutos start very good.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Where are you located? My bike has gotten pretty hot, similar situation to you, but never so hot it wouldn't start. I do find my bike seems to climb some 10° to 20° F when I shut it off for a short period like getting fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The fans work good, no problem.
Example, if fans is working and if turn off the bike and start again whit fans on the bike sometimes dont start and when try to start the battery die...

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
The fans work good, no problem.
Example, if fans is working and if turn off the bike and start again whit fans on the bike sometimes dont start and when try to start the battery die...
There were a few guys that had similar issues with the 2009 and it was the starter motor itself. It would heat soak and wouldn't start until cool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I sm thinking about this... or temp sensor, because when the temp is low the bike start good... or when is hot i need to wait, but the fans wirk...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Battery: 12.85v
Relanti: 13.75v
5000rmp: 14,05v

Rectifier and baterry os good, but when the temperature is hight and turn off dont start again.
Maybe the coil plug?

·
Crossplane Crazy
204 Posts
My 12 does this on occasion. What really bugs me is cold it's hard to start. Battery seems good,cranks fine but in order to start have to crack throttle open a bit. Perplexing fo sho. Only has 9k on it so I'm thinking its not carbon build on Throttle bodies or sync but who knows.

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
My 12 does this on occasion. What really bugs me is cold it's hard to start. Battery seems good,cranks fine but in order to start have to crack throttle open a bit. Perplexing fo sho. Only has 9k on it so I'm thinking its not carbon build on Throttle bodies or sync but who knows.
I have had to crack the throttle a little to get it to start instantly since day one.

·
Crossplane Crazy
204 Posts
Ok but I don't think it's normal esp being cold you crack the throttle open,raise the rpms with little or no oil pressure can't be good long term.

·
Registered
42 Posts
have same problem when it gets hot.
when I shut it off to pump gas than I cant turn it on - battery has not enough cranking power to turn it over when engine hot and both fans running in same time - if I wait a bit everything is fine after 5 -10 min.
and I use LI-ON battery, when I used stock battery it was hard to even start it when cold.
shame on Yamaha not to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New battery, new rectifier ORIGINAL YAMAHA PARTS, same problem.
When the fans start the battery dont charge, 12,40v.
Maybe the stator?

·
Registered
42 Posts
blame Yamaha - bad design - Yamaha should do something about that!!! there are many of us with same problem.
also wonder if older models of R1 have similar problem - 2008 and older ??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts