Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Yeah so I blew myself up!!
504 Posts
Change your coolant. Water wetter or engine ice helps. I want a whole new radiator but i dont have 1500 laying around lol.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Seems like there could be two problems. One is the bike is getting too hot, try a coolant flush, make sure to get all the air out when you put in new coolant. Two is the starter is binding from getting too hot, which may require a new starter to fix that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will give it a try with fresh coolant or just destilled water with water wetter.....
starter is more $$....can't afford it at least not now
how hot it gets in your area?
here in NOLA is 93F and high humidity

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I will change the stator, i think the problem is there.
Because when is hot the bike, dont charge ... I make the test whit multimeter and the resistence is different that manual says...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello,
The problem it is the same...
New stator, new rectifier original from Yamaha, new battery Yuasa, the starter is good...
All the test of charging and voltage is good, buttttt, when is a hot sometimes dont start ate first time if I turn off, but when the fans on the voltage draw ate 12,50v +-, and if turn of the bike dont start again...
Someone? Maybe the fans or sensor of temperature?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but try flushing your coolant From the radiator, and putting a little bit in the overflow.

I had a friend that thought you put coolant into the overflow and that it would circulate into the system. He also thought his bike had a serious overheating problem LOL. He had ZERO coolant circulating because he had changed his waterpump and drained the coolant previously.

Some people say a little coolant in the overflow "between the lines" helps keep the bike a little cooler. No idea if that's true or not but it won't hurt anything to try.

·
Live ur passion
196 Posts
blame Yamaha - bad design - Yamaha should do something about that!!! there are many of us with same problem.
also wonder if older models of R1 have similar problem - 2008 and older ??
Seems like the '09 problem, my 2 friends have the same prob with starting their bikes.
My 08 starts like charms, never gets hotter than 226F
Have you tried to flush the rad and cooling system ? Heat is always a big problem for R1 riders :(

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Weird question, but do you have the stock catalytic converter on the bike or an aftermarket mid pipe?

Curious since standard batteries don't like heat. Does it have the black cloth like heat shield?

How did you test the starter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got rid of cat converter, aftermarket dual pipes, once engine get hot bike won't start,
Battery is good, I am trying to find the right solution for this problem

21 - 32 of 32 Posts