Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Track Newbie
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am tryin to get my wheelies just a lil bit higher so i can keep it at a steady speed. a lot of people have been tellin me the slightly drag the rear brake and jus adjust thier brake pressure as needed. what do yall think? an do yall have any advice?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can do that to learn but your gonna go through brake pads and rotors faster than gas and also risk brake fade and end up crashing.

You wanna learn to find BP first, once you do that then start bringing it back a lil farther and tap the back brake to keep you from going over, easier said then done but practice makes perfect.

·
Wheelies Galore
285 Posts
i was told the same thing. but the brake does you no good unless you are behind the balance point. once you find that sweet spot in the throttle at balance point you will be able to hold a steady wheelie in second gear at about 60 all day long. hope you standin up. sittin down sucks because i cant see shit once its at balance point. and when i look off to the side it kinda throws me off and sometimes get a wobble cuz of it. stand staggard otherwise your gonna wear yourself out tryin to hold yourself up standing on the front pegs.

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts
First off... draggin the rear brake leaves you at the risk of smashin your face on the windscreen if you hit it the slightest bit too hard. Second, if your at the BP you don't need to drag it. Third, guys who stunt hard will usually put on a hand operated rear brake. The same the track riders/racers use. Obviously you have way more control at your hand than with your foot.

When it comes down to it. It's all practice. Everyone has a slightly different technique, style, and learning curve.

The best way to getttin' your wheelie higher and at the BP? Practice pullin' it a little higher each time and gettin' comfortable. If it was easy... everyone would be doing it.. and squids wouldn't be loopin' out or slammin' the front.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You dont want to be on the rear brake at all unless your behind ballence point and you barley use it and it brings you back to BP easily. If your in front of it and arent hight enough, its just going to bring your front end down and your going to chase the wheelie. You want to try to keep it steady at ballencepoint then you wont gain any speed. You also want to be carful that your not on your rear brake to much or your rear brake can fade out and it wont work. Also you dont want to put a handbrake on until your good with the foot brake. Work on being smooth and taking small steps and it will all come with time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.